Dinzag hg retainer and heavy-barreled 223...

Maybe it's a silly question but I'm about to order some parts from Dinzag and want to make sure it will all work out... will the bolt-on handguard retainer from Dinzag fit an older 223 with the heavier barrel (0.631"/16mm)? I'd like to make a full conversion... I'm going to wait on the gas tube for able-to-pay-bills reasons, but I can handle the rest right here and now.

Thanks in advance everyone - this is my first post on the forum, but I've been lurking around here for well over a year contemplating my first rifle, which I had long-since chosen to be a Saiga 223. I finally got one a couple of months ago and have converted it to standard grip/fcg and a bulgy 74 fsb which I had to ream out to fit... wasn't too difficult, I work for a capital equipment mfg and they have an extensive tool room.

*edit 9:49AM: said I was waiting on upper handguard; wood upper handguards are cheap and plentiful. I'm waiting on a vented gas tube, since my gb is *not* vented.

Edited by devilfish13

Alright, I'll contact Dinzag. I was hoping that maybe someone else on the forum already had, plus it was a wonderful excuse for a first post... even knowing good and well that I may very well have received one of the classic "you didn't even bother searching!" responses, despite having searched ^_^

As far as the gas tube goes, mine is one of those weirdos with neither a vented tube nor block. Given that by design the gas tube is more of a guide for the piston than anything, I don't know that it matters more than potentially fouling the inside of my receiver more than it would otherwise... I've debated just venting my stock tube myself. Is there any real benefit to it?

As far as the gas tube goes, mine is one of those weirdos with neither a vented tube nor block. Given that by design the gas tube is more of a guide for the piston than anything, I don't know that it matters more than potentially fouling the inside of my receiver more than it would otherwise... I've debated just venting my stock tube myself. Is there any real benefit to it?

Damn drunk Russians strike again!

Any real benefit to what? Venting the tube (or block) yourself will only save you money and time. As to whether you decide to do it or not, most everyone that sells this platform has either a vented gas block or tube, so I would think it would be a good thing. I believe you're 100% correct that the only downside would probably be increased fouling of the receiver and I sure don't want that. I'm lazy, after all.

Drilling the block is no issue. The metal is soft, and there's no way you can screw it up really. It will give you a slightly cleaner gas tube and receiver by allowing gases to vent before accumulating inside the gas system.

There is no change to gas pressure. The gas pulse occurs entirely within the first half of the gas block. Without holes in the GB or a vented tube, any gases that continue on after the gas block ends are vented around the piston head into the ribbing of the gas tube, and into the receiver.

Just make it look nice.

804Iu.jpg

I've got a start now on drilling those ports now. Have to say, soft metal my a$$!!! I broke two bits on two holes! I'll have to continue tomorrow after visiting a hardware store. Looks pretty good so far, despite bit breakage. I think I might just buy 1/8" bits in bulk now.

I've got a start now on drilling those ports now. Have to say, soft metal my a$$!!! I broke two bits on two holes! I'll have to continue tomorrow after visiting a hardware store. Looks pretty good so far, despite bit breakage. I think I might just buy 1/8" bits in bulk now.

Glad you tackled it yourself. And buying smaller diameter bits in bulk is a great idea. It's pretty much inevitable that you'll break some unless all you use is a drill press. And even then....

Mine was NOT soft at all. It did not brake any bits but did totally destroy a couple. Honestly, if I where to do it again I would not bother drilling the block. I can tell no difference at all. But I don't shoot thousands of rounds without cleaning either.

Well folks, looks like it was my methods. I picked up a vise and set it up tonight, and after having it in that with a rag instead of clamped to the workbench with c-clamps and a piece of bar stock (always use the right tools :D), it drilled up like a dream. I'm pleased with how it turned out. Thanks for the help!

404099_10100804234963705_1723997930_n.jpg

• Like 2

Lol, yeah, I work as a software developer, one of the perks is that your friends all assume you want their old computers... which of course you would, why not build a Beowulf cluster?

Anywho, no chance to shoot it yet so maybe this weekend.

Edited by devilfish13
  • 2 weeks later...

For others' benefit, I have heard back from Dinzag. The retainer section on the barrel is the same dimensions on the h-bar 223's, so a standard bolt-on retainer will still fit.

I was dropping in to tell you it should fit, but I see you got your answer.

I have a "H-bar" .223 and his retainer fit perfect for me.

PS, you've inspired me to drill me gas tube. I'd been thinking about it for a while.

Edited by Pyzik
  • Like 1