Anyone used/own an electric impact wrench?

I'm a DIYer when it comes to automotive maintenance and repairs and am about to perform some suspension work which may require the use of one. I'm not entirely sure that I am ready to commit the funds/garage space to a sufficiently powerful enough air compressor to drive it (my current air compressor is pretty much only useful for putting air in tires) and couldn't help but wonder about the electric models.

So what is the deal? Are they any good?

if your looking for a corded model, look at milwaulkee, dewault and bocsh. id prefer the milwaulkee over the others, as they carry a really good warranty with their electric tools. the dewaults last a good while but the newer design sucks ass with the smaller bushes they use on them.

I love mine, can't have shop air cuz the neighbors are pussies, but they can have a flock of yippie ass bag chiauaus that they leave outside.

I got a dewalt 1/2 inch

and a makita 3/8

they rock

Edited by Syndicate

Used them, have a big dewalt one that I borrowed from Dad before he moved a thousand or so miles away. It is about double the size and weight of an equivalent air powered one, but without the noise/ delays of a compressor, and no hoses to drag.

IMO makita 3/8 cordless was great for assembling things with bolts up to 3/8" or so, but not good for bigger jobs. It sped up putting hundreds of bolts into machines we were building.

i've used a bunch in high rise construction. milwaukee and dewalt corded are both quite good, and will last you a very long time. I used a milwaukee corded that had spent the last five years assembling skips ( those red elevators you see on the outside of buildings under construction) and it had lost a bit of its balls, but it had been through hell. overall, though, corded are alot heavier, cumbersome, and larger. I would venture a guess that they are cheaper though.

cordless is the way to go. the 1/4 milwaukee and dewalt are good, but the milwaukee's are better. they just came out with a new line called FUEL that doesn't use brushes, and extends battery life and a bunch of other stuff. it also has a pre-light and i swear its quieter than the old models ( but thats probably just me going slowly deaf)

the 1/2 cordless milwaukee rocks. i've seen it shear 1/2 bolts and not break a sweat. my favorite tool hands down

• Like 2

Wow! I opened this thread expecting to see a lot of people laughing at the question and was shocked to see such positive replies. I admit that I have no knowledge on the subject other than using air impact wrenches, but now, I will look at another option, thanks to this thread.

Edited by AK Okie

My dad's got an old electric impact wrench. It's a beast. I think he bought it in the late 50s early 60s. I'm not sure of the brand. It's heavy, and it's a beast!

I bought an Ingersol/Rand air impact. @ 650ft/lbs, adjustable, there isn't much it won't do.

Edited by patriot

A good air impact is always best, more torque and lighter. But a Milwaukee corded or cordless will do 90% of what an air hammer will. Just remember to use impact sockets with an impact wrench, chrome sockets will round the corners off the bolts!.

• Like 3

If you've got time, a good can of penetrating oil beats an impact wrench any day.

Kroil

Just remember to use impact sockets with an impact wrench, chrome sockets will round the corners off the bolts!.

Failure to use impact sockets will cause much pain and suffering.

Miwaukee tools are great. I have a m18 3/8 impact. I am a auto mechanic so i use it everyday all day. If you want a cordless impact that is as powerful as a 1/2 air impact look at ingersol rand http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/am-en/products/tools/Iqv-cordless-tools/iqv20-series-cordless-tools/w7150-1-2-20v-high-torque-impactool

You should always use impact sockets with an impact. It's not just that chromed sockets round off heads, but the strength of the socket that is the issue. Standard sockets can shatter when they break as opposed to simply cracking like the proper tool. You should always wear eye protection when using these things.

• Like 1

+1 on Ingersoll,

Milwaukee corded or cordless is also very good. If you plan to use it only occasionally go corded. The batteries for the cordless ones will go tits up in short order if you don't cycle them.

Milwaukee cordless is what I cary in my service truck.

• Like 1

I think they are worth it of you can't have air. I also have used the hell out my cheap Harbor Freight one. From time to time would do a little mobile mechanic stuff from the trunk of my car while I was in College it never let me down but after a few years it seemed to loose a little umph. but I think I paid like 35 bucks and still have it and using it now if I need something in a pinch.

The better brands i am sure are much much nicer and cordless would be awesome just didn't have the the extra cash at the time to spend the extra on a Milwaukee or Dewalt, and of course if Air is a better option it is much more reliable and nicer but you need a lot of other equipment and space.

Edited by ghost44

Got a cheap 12 volt from harbor freight just for changing flats on the side of the road and it is worth it's weight in gold. I tow a trailer with a dually and have used it a bunch. It beats the heck out of using a tire iron. But if you plan on using it a lot in a garage I would get one of the better one as mentioned above.

My air compressor at work is a piece of shit so we have a Bosch 18v Impact with lithium fat packs. With two batteries, you will never run out of juice on tractors, bobcats, trucks and cars. Probably wouldn't be the best option for steel workers. It has a short head so there is much less fatigue. It has a nice weight to it so you don't have to put your body into it.

I'll get the model number for you if you are interested. Work paid for it so I'm not sure if it's cheap. It gets beaten on by multiple employees and holds up to all sorts of abuse so I'd guess it's less than a good compressor and more than your average harbor freight shit.

If you don't have good constant air, don't waste your money on a good gun. It will only frustrate you and force your hand to buy a better compressor.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Definetly use the impact sockets. using chrome on anything over 9/16th will likely (though not certainly) screw it up. impact sockets aren't a slam dunk though. i broke 2 15/16 deep wells over the course of two years. i was beating the snot out of them though.

if you're going with air, besides a consistent air source, don't forget to have an inline moisture filter. it been about 10 years since i used air tools to any great degree, but i remember that without it, it screws the tools up.

had an 18 or 24v (cant remember which) snap on ... worked good, but the batteries went to shit pretty quickly. A friend has a dewalt (...i think...?) and he can't use cheap impact sockets with it,,, he has cracked a bunch of them.... that's torque!

Edited by XdamagedX

had an 18 or 24v (cant remember which) snap on ... worked good, but the batteries went to shit pretty quickly. A friend has a dewalt (...i think...?) and he can't use cheap impact sockets with it,,, he has cracked a bunch of them.... that's torque!

prolly 18v. i dont think they make a 24v, as there is no need for it really. i broke a 3/4 bolt with mine the other day doing roof mount retractable awnings. the fuckin stainless bolt cross threaded and seized up. i broke my 3/4 rachet wrench as well as the bolt. lol. but when i first got mine,(before they offered lithium batteries) i had 6 nicads total, and one was bad right off the bat. they replaced it, but im starting to replace all the nicads now with the lithiums. much longer life.

the only non impact sockets ive seen fail have been cheap ass ones. usually boast a "made in taiwan" image somewhere. i have seen some better made ones get rounded out, but never split, chip or shatter. i been using a cheap 1/2" craftsman socket on a 3/8" adapter for about 2 years. it sees daily use, but has held up well. but i try to get all impact sockets when i can.

All my snap on , mack, matco , craftsman,non impact ones have held up to my air and electric impact guns. There is a chance they can and would crack or explode like the cheap ones if enough stress is given. impact . I just don't want anyone to get hurt. I've had

expensive impact sockets break in dangerous ways. Better safe than sorry !