Wolf (tired old question, sorry)

I checked around the old threads, probably not as well as I could, wondering about the relative worth of Wolf ammo. Best I came up with is the Saiga will shoot anything you feed it and I tend to believe that. I've stashed away some I like and now am looking for stuff to shoot that will be reasonably accurate given its cost and source. Most everything from anywhere is sold out, on back order. Seems though to be plenty of Wolf around. Of late I've learned of the polymer coating and they also offer steel casings. The old laquer problem is no more.

So, who's had experience with all of them and what's your take on buying up a bunch to shoot? What kind of accuracy can I reasonably expect?

I have a ton of Tula, cant find Wolf around here that easy anymore. Used ot be available and now its mostly Tula and then the American made vendors. I have more 308 surplus tha anything else, but I prefer to shoot the steel than surplus because I like the portuguese I have for a SHTF situation and the DAG I got I find it just looks too cool to go laying out at the range, as bad as that sounds haha

Tanks fer the dope on the Wolf.

Wolf it is.

Just out of curiousity, though, if you can put most of your Wolf rounds into a six-inch target at 100 yards, what's the point of having to shoot any better than that?

Are we talking match quality, precision, or are we talking practicality?

Further, any preferences for poly compared with steel casing?

• Like 1

Tanks fer the dope on the Wolf.

Wolf it is.

Just out of curiousity, though, if you can put most of your Wolf rounds into a six-inch target at 100 yards, what's the point of having to shoot any better than that?

Are we talking match quality, precision, or are we talking practicality?

Further, any preferences for poly compared with steel casing?

Why not "good enough" accuracy?

The target may be 6" wide and 300m away. There is no "good enough" in shooting, something I had to learn as well.

Poly coated steel over lacquer coated?

Not sure what you mean. Some prefer lacquer for its storage properties, polly for not leaving the coating in the chamber.

I would not use Wolf for any match or Tula for that matter. I said its good for plinking. If you want to hit targets out as far as the rifle is capable of, get something better. A six inch target at 100 yards is pretty damn easy with a 308. Like Rhodes said, "There is no "good enough" in shooting,". Try the Wolf at 500 yards when you get it and then try some expensive stuff. You'll see the difference.

Can't say I could see much at 500 yards, am happy to see what I can at 100. I don't have a scope, am not especially interested. I have the mounting rail, could do a side scope. But I've never shot with them before and really can't foresee the need. That is, unless I want to be a sniper, and I think my eyes put the nix to that about 30 years ago.

But I understand your points about zeroing in tight and reaching out to the rifle's full potential, no questioning the importance of quality ammo for that.

Two years ago come December when I bought the Saiga,what I had was a battle caliber sporter rifle with flaws. Over time I got it squared away and once I started to become familiar with it, given my eyesight limitations, I was blown away, no pun intended, by its feel, weight, action, recoil, noise and accuracy. Two years ago if somebody told me I could put most of my rounds in the black at 100 yards, I might have paid twice what I paid for it.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Regardless what forums say, what I've seen wolf ammo do and had it do in my own experiences leads me to believe it isn't nearly as bad of stuff as people think it is.

It's not the hottest stuff out there, but it is capable of good accuracy and some rifles really like it. You really need to try it in yours next to what ever else you normally use to evaluate it for that specific rifle.

I've had pretty good results with brown bear 145gn fmj.. I've also been happy with the 140gn sp, it seems to hold a little better groups.

I can normally hold a decent (round) 3 inch grouping at 100 yards from bench or prone. Sad to say I have not been to the range to shoot groupings in almost a year.

I also had pretty good results with brown bear shooting between 2.5 and 4" groups at 100 yards and hitting a 12" steel gong at 200 yds 10 out of 10 times. Not being a rich man, I still havent been able to put any match ammo through my 137. I also havent been able to test accuracy at the range since I've done the bullpup conversion. Once I do, I will definitely post here in the 308 section to let everyone know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have benchrested all my newly purchased 308 rifles using south african 308 FMJ ball ammo so i have a baseline for comparison. I purchased my new russian izmash saiga in 308win with the 16" barrel when they were just $389 / $307 OTD with taxes. Benchrested at 100yds she prints a 1 1/2" group with me or my son shooting it with iron sights no scope.

Years ago on the net some shooters did say out of all the imported ammo the russian barnaul was the most accurate. I think any of the imported ammo should should at least shoot 2" to 4" groups thats 1 minute of man.

1. Spanish cetme with SA 308 ball ammo 3" groups at 100yds. right out of the box.

2. French MAS 49/56 commando rifle converted to 308 with SA ammo 2" to 3" groups.

3. Russian Izmash Saiga 16" barrel in 308win with SA ammo 1 1/2" groups right out of the box, both new rifles. I haven't played with the saiga's in 223 nor the 22" barreled 308 saiga yet.

I been wanting to scope my 22" barreled 308win saiga so i could possibly have a very accurate rifle that can shoot over 500yds. to 700yds?

Edited by Unknown Poster

Sad to say I have not been to the range to shoot groupings in almost a year.

You need to take a break. Seriously.

Funny this post comes up... I'm almost done with the business part of my Michigan trip, I have a whole case of ammo coming Monday and I hope to shoot it all before I leave... And in between I'm thinking its time to remind the small game why running at the smell of man is a really good idea.