Anyone have any experience with the new XDs?

Seems to have good reviews on the intrawebz, I have a hard time finding ANY review done by a magazine unbiased though. I saw these and considered it for CC instead of my full sized 1911. It would be nice to have a .45 "pocket pistol" but I'd also like to buy a large caliber pistol as a range toy first... decisions decisions.

I got one a couple weeks ago. Ran the last of 1000 rounds through it yesterday. No problems at all just as you would expect form the XD family.

This thing absolutely disappears in the factory paddle holster with an untucked T-shirt. Got the extended mag Friday and it really gives it a different feel although it feels and shoots great with the five rounder in it too.

It shoots great, felt recoil is surprisingly mild, very accurate to 20 yards.

The only thing thats a little weird is when you run the slide with a loaded mag it catches on the rim of the top round in the mag. You have to give it a brisk tug to get past that first round. If you just open the slide before inserting the mag it strips it no problem.

This is my new favorite CCW.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone that likes the Croatian sensation. This is my third XD and I plan on having the whole family before I'm done.

I was fondling one of these at the gun store, and have decided this will replace my PF9. The size is just about perfect, I just wish the extensions were +1 instead of +2. I think 2 more rounds will add a little more length in the grip than i'm wanting, but a 5 round mag just doesn't sit right in my hand, it needs to be just a little bit longer, and a +1 finger groove extension would be just about perfect. Also, what's up with the Croatian production? I guess it doesn't matter, but I thought most of SA stuff was from Brazil...

You should check the threads over on XDtalk, there are a couple threads about issues with the XDS. I own several XD's and love them. Will probably pick up the XDS eventually but like most new guns there have been a few issues to watch out for. I seem to recall something about the firing pin, you'd have to go find the threads. I dont recall specifically but most people seem really happy with them.

• Like 1

Seems to have good reviews on the intrawebz, I have a hard time finding ANY review done by a magazine unbiased though. I saw these and considered it for CC instead of my full sized 1911. It would be nice to have a .45 "pocket pistol" but I'd also like to buy a large caliber pistol as a range toy first... decisions decisions.

I handled a compact .9mm at the store the other day. It comes with an extended mag and the mag seemed loose and kinda flimsy to me. Not solid at all. I loved the way the gun felt in my hand but thats a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Hello

I tend to buy CCW weapons fairly regularly, but I don't think I'll be purchasing any more in the near future after this XD-S two-tone sweetie.

Pretty much the ideal carry weapon. I'm waiting for my Crossbreed mini-tuck to arrive, I think that will be all I need.

-guido

BTW, the pistol being discussed is a single-stack .45 ACP, not the XP Compact that has been out for a while.

This one is sorta like a Glock 36 with an eating disorder. It's maybe smaller than my LC9's.

-guido

• Like 1

Favorite handgun I've bought in my life ...

No issues , recoil is definetly not what you would assume a micro .45 would be , and it's dead accurate.

Pocket carry no problem , iwb it dissapears despite location . I love it and can't praise it enough.

I use a Harwell Clip n' Go Leather Kydex for IWB and a sticky holster for pocket carry. I put meprolight orange rear / green front night sights on it ...

I'm now waiting for my PRP trigger kit in the mail

Here is a pic of my mepro's ... I love them lol

I handled a compact .9mm at the store the other day. It comes with an extended mag and the mag seemed loose and kinda flimsy to me. Not solid at all. I loved the way the gun felt in my hand but thats a bit of a deal breaker for me.

The XDs is not an XD/XDm gun , it's a completely different design -- and it's only avaible in .45ACP at the moment ...

It's a "smidge" smaller then the S&W Shield , so please don't get the XD/XDm line confused with the XDs !!!

(.9mm and .40 coming soon -- I don't see the point when this guy shoots so smooth and perfect)

Go to xdspistol.com and check out the dimensions . Like I said this is the best handgun I've ever owned !

You should check the threads over on XDtalk, there are a couple threads about issues with the XDS. I own several XD's and love them. Will probably pick up the XDS eventually but like most new guns there have been a few issues to watch out for. I seem to recall something about the firing pin, you'd have to go find the threads. I dont recall specifically but most people seem really happy with them.

The first run had a very small amount of reports of out of spec slide releases ... they are fine now.

Many people don't understand that this is a micro .45 and having your hand interfere with the slide action can cause an out of battery rechamber ... resulting in a light primer strike.

90% of XDs problems reported are user caused ... this gun is a first of its kind , it's not a PM45 , one needs to shoot and handle this guy to appreciate it.

post-44020-0-11902700-1346622070_thumb.jpg

post-44020-0-24882900-1346622119_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

As much as I love my Walther PPS .40, this XDS is my new dedicated carry weapon............... This is the pistol I've been waiting for in a concealed carry application................

Ditto that, Jeaux.

I recently ordered a second, all-black model. Concealed carry nirvana.

-guido

• 2 weeks later...

I've had mine for two weeks now, and I'm dying to get to the range and try it out. Just gotta find the time to do it. I've got HST 230 grain, a Remora #6 with full sweat shield, and a Remora dual mag holster with sweat shield all ready to go once I put some rounds through it and am satisfied with the performance.

DSC00511.jpg

The Taurus PT145 is about the same size but has 10+1 capacity.

You can even use the longer 24/7 mags in it for 12+1 capacity.

Anybody have both of them handy to compare them?

XDS:

CAPACITY 5 + 1 RDS WEIGHT 21.5 oz. Barrel Length 3.3" OVERALL HEIGHT

with Magazine 4.4" OVERALL LENGTH 6.3" OVERALL WIDTH 1"

PT145:

Capacity: 10 +1 Weight: 22.2 oz Barrel Length: 3.25" Height: 5.125" Width: 1.25" Length: 6.125"

I got a new PT145 for $299 + shipping.

Edited by Spartacus

XDS:

PT145:

Capacity: 10 +1 Weight: 22.2 oz Barrel Length: 3.25" Height: 5.125" Width: 1.25" Length: 6.125"

Hello

I have a couple of PT 145's, I use them as "throwdowns", if you will, I carry one on my truck, and keep one handy in my garage when I'm handloading. I also have a XDS, and have ordered another.

I never seriously considered the 145 as a carry gun, it's pretty fat, and loaded it's pretty damn heavy. That firepower sounds nice, but in reality, all those .45's get pretty weighty. Plus the grip length is fairly long. I've found that those three things, thickness, weight, and grip length, are the things that impact the ability to carry comfortably. The PT has a very weird trigger, also. If you haven't shot one for a while, you almost think something's broke, then it finally goes "Py-yah!" It's so damn long you feel like it's disconnected. But it's a great little gun for the $$$, don't get me wrong.

I've had a Glock pirated out of my truck before, so I told myself im packing nothing but low-dollar pistols in there in the furure.

The XDS, on the other hand, is a wondrous thing. Disappears in a good holster, or even your pocket, great trigger, I could go on, and on.....

JMHO.....

• Like 1

Yep, for sure the PT-145 is "beefier" than the XDS and I agree the trigger is less than optimum.

Size wise, it's close though.... the Taurus has a less than 3/4" longer grip and is 1/4" thicker.

Maybe I'll have to look at the XDS in person to see what it's like.

Still don't like that it's only six rounds though.

XDS:

PT145:

Hello

I have a couple of PT 145's, I use them as "throwdowns", if you will, I carry one on my truck, and keep one handy in my garage when I'm handloading. I also have a XDS, and have ordered another.

I never seriously considered the 145 as a carry gun, it's pretty fat, and loaded it's pretty damn heavy. That firepower sounds nice, but in reality, all those .45's get pretty weighty. Plus the grip length is fairly long. I've found that those three things, thickness, weight, and grip length, are the things that impact the ability to carry comfortably. The PT has a very weird trigger, also. If you haven't shot one for a while, you almost think something's broke, then it finally goes "Py-yah!" It's so damn long you feel like it's disconnected. But it's a great little gun for the $$$, don't get me wrong.

I've had a Glock pirated out of my truck before, so I told myself im packing nothing but low-dollar pistols in there in the furure.

The XDS, on the other hand, is a wondrous thing. Disappears in a good holster, or even your pocket, great trigger, I could go on, and on.....

JMHO.....

THROWDOWNS ?!?!?

Please tell me your not a LEO lol !!!

• Like 1

Handled one of these this past weekend at a gun show in Birmingham and I am in love without even shooting one yet. It took all my strength not to pull out the cash and go home with it. This will be my next CCW, but I have to set aside the money for a mission trip to Haiti, and a new computer first. I never thought I would ever put getting a new computer in front of a firearm, but this dinosaur from 2004 has seen better days.

Overall the XDs is everything I have wanted in a CCW minus a double stack mag, but then that would compromise the the concealability. Thanks to all who have commented on the recoil and trigger, it has me even more stoked.

XDS:

PT145:

Hello

JMHO.....

THROWDOWNS ?!?!?

Please tell me your not a LEO lol !!!

Ha! Hardly, I wasn't talkin' that kind of "throwdown"! Just wouldn't cry as hard if I lost it.

-guido

• 1 month later...

It's been a good few months for sub-compact guns in our house. My wife was in the market for a CCW. She's shoots left handed and finally decided on a Walther PPS due to the ambi lever mag release. This week the LGS had two guns come in that I couldn't resist. I grabbed a 9mm M&P Shield and a XDs. Hope to break in the Shield and XDs tomorrow.

Some comparison photos...

74b0aa09e53f18556af18f78f244e76e.jpg

6e909225f9901fb09a67fb4b78608b6e.jpg

3b4b857ebc919b6cab29603d4718becc.jpg

Can't wait to go shooting!

• Like 1