Ok I am new to the whole Saiga scene. I have a stock "MADE IN RUSSIA BY IZHMASH" Saiga-12 that my wife bought me as a gift. Has a US Sporting Goods INC. Rockledge, FL stamp on it. Is this a good brand/type to own? I mainly plan to have it around the home for self defense. I want to buy some sort of pistol grip or foldable stock for it. Do a lot of people add an optic to it?

Though I have thought about taking it deer hunting. I live at FT. Campbell(I am a soldier) and I would like to take it hunting on post since they have a loooong gun season compared to my home state of Ohio. I plan to buy a smaller magazine like a 2 rounder for hunting.

Basically my questions are...is it a good brand, what brand of 2 and 20 round magazines should I look to buy, should I buy a different barrel for sabot slugs or stick with the standard and use rifled slugs, and what would be a good mod for a pistol grip and/or foldable stock for it?

I have read a few posts that Remington Sluggers are the best rifled slugs for this gun, what are your guys thoughts?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I am pressed for time as I live a busy life since I am a married soldier with 30 hours worth of stuff in a 24 hour day lol. TY TY everyone.

The FL stamp is just the importer. All saigas are made in the same factory and shipped to the US as you see them. There are a few different models but the brand is Saiga, made in Izhmash machine plant, imported by whomever the flavor of the month is at the time (it changes).

You will have to stick with rifled slugs, as there currently is no aftermarket rifled barrel available.

SGM, AGP, MDArms are the best of the US made magazines (not in any particular order). Try to avoid Pro-mag if possible.

Remington sluggers are a good choice for off the shelf slugs. Try a few different brands and see what yours likes best tho.

Welcome to the premier Saiga web site. Read up on here and don't get discouraged if it doesn't work like you hoped right off the bat, it's a normal occurence.

Become familiar with the gas system and learn to adjust the gas regulator correctly.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 2

check out carolinashooterssupply.com for some great videos on converting your gun (took me less than an hour and i had never done it before)

also take a look at the thread we have here on 922R compliance so you stay legal. smile.png and welcome

... one more thing, before you convert your gun make sure to check how it runs. put some shitty walmart ammo through it and if it cycles fine then convert it.

if it doesn't you should be able to get some warranty work done. i got a bit too excited about converting mine, so now any gas issues i have, i have to fix my self.

Edited by Salt
  • Like 1

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, stop the clock.......

Slow down and do some reading, one thing at a time. I will answer your first question.

All Saiga 12's come out of the same factory in Russia, there are many different importers but the guns are the same.

• Like 1

but I am pressed for time as I live a busy life since I am a married soldier with 30 hours worth of stuff in a 24 hour day lol. TY TY everyone.

Thanks for you service, but please, don't think your time is any more valuable than anyone else's. When you start thinking like that, you will be inclined to get less help. Other than the importer stamp question, you need to read all the answers that are in the stickies already. There have been several different importers over the years, you just happen to have one imported by "US Sporting Goods INC. Rockledge, FL".

There is an assload of information here, but no silver serving spoons.

• Like 2

First off, give your wife a big, wet kiss, she deserves it.

Second, read, read, and read some more. I doubt you have a question that has not been asked and answered here. I've posted a lot in the short time I've been here but I've done way more reading. I'm always running across new stuff I hadn't seen yet. Just click around and if you see a topic that catches your eye, jump in and read the whole thread, you'll get the answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet.

• Like 3

Thanks for the service. In your case, I would not convert it until I knew what state I was going to end up in. Look at the S12 pics http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/13312-picture-post-lets-see-your-saiga-12/ and get an idea of what you like. If it fits with what your future home state laws are then do that conversion.

Once you have an idea of what you want, post up a list of parts. Most will help (Lots of opinions here) you sort it out.

In the mean time, go get a few hundred rounds and run it through the toy.

• Like 3

Thanks for the service. In your case, I would not convert it until I knew what state I was going to end up in. Look at the S12 pics http://forum.saiga-1...-your-saiga-12/ and get an idea of what you like. If it fits with what your future home state laws are then do that conversion.

Once you have an idea of what you want, post up a list of parts. Most will help (Lots of opinions here) you sort it out.

In the mean time, go get a few hundred rounds and run it through the toy.

Good advice.

The Search function is your friend. Now, FRONT LEANING REST POSITION... MOVE! (Because you did not use it first). Welcome to the forum and a wealth of information.

In his defense. . .

He's a Soldier, not an Airmen, Seaman, or Marine. I'm sure if his commanding officer told him were to start he'd have been able to find the search function. big_smile.gif

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

thank you for your service.

its just my experience, but i bought the s-12 on a bit of a whim. i had no idea what i was getting into, but i'm glad i did. i realized i was in a bit over my head, so i found this forum. i lurked ( and mostly still do) for probably about a year before i started posting. i can guarantee you, 90% of the questions you have have been asked before. multiple times. like the others said, read the stickies, use the search function. browse vendors sites. for shits and giggles, i'll go pages back in the forum and just find old topics to read. i've learned a great deal, and i have a long way to go still. my recommendation is you do the same. ( though you don't have to stay mum for a year, that was just a personal preference)

good luck- this is the coolest gun i own, and we're glad to have you as a member

He's a Soldier, not an Airmen, Seaman, or Marine. I'm sure if his commanding officer told him were to start he'd have been able to find the search function.

In his defense, that's a pretty ignorant assumption to make about a US Army Warrior. I have run into probably more fucktards from the USAF, USN, and USMC in my 20+ years in, (USAF). I trained with all branches, more schools with the Army than AF so I have his back. Lay off the Cherry!

He's a Soldier, not an Airmen, Seaman, or Marine. I'm sure if his commanding officer told him were to start he'd have been able to find the search function.

In his defense, that's a pretty ignorant assumption to make about a US Army Warrior. I have run into probably more fucktards from the USAF, USN, and USMC in my 20+ years in, (USAF). I trained with all branches, more schools with the Army than AF so I have his back. Lay off the Cherry!

Easy there killer. I used a smiley and it was just some light ribbing. I worked side by side with many a grunt in the field when I was in combat photo for the USAF. I fully respect grunts, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to joke around with them.

• Like 1

Easy there killer. I used a smiley and it was just some light ribbing. I worked side by side with many a grunt in the field when I was in combat photo for the USAF. I fully respect grunts, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to joke around with them.

That's cool. Are you the USAF Combat Camera guy who was used for a driver for some SOF guys during a takedown in Baghdad in March 2003? (He was armed with a M9 and a camera, left in the Tacoma as the driver for a quick exfil if shit got ugly. Never got a photo and nearly shit himself waiting on the guys doing all the shooting inside to come back out). 021.gif

We did get a couple of his counterparts, (females), a little tipsy after that incident at the airport where we were holed up. friday.gif

Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive because I have a son who is a Soldier now. Violent_sterb003.gif

Sorry for the threadjack folks!

hijacked.gif

That's cool. Are you the USAF Combat Camera guy who was used for a driver for some SOF guys during a takedown in Baghdad in March 2003? (He was armed with a M9 and a camera, left in the Tacoma as the driver for a quick exfil if shit got ugly. Never got a photo and nearly shit himself waiting on the guys doing all the shooting inside to come back out). 021.gif

We did get a couple of his counterparts, (females), a little tipsy after that incident at the airport where we were holed up. friday.gif

Maybe I'm just a bit sensitive because I have a son who is a Soldier now. Violent_sterb003.gif

hijacked.gif

Nope. Wasn't me in Baghdad. I spent most of my time hanging out of the sides of Hueys (back when they still flew them) and Blackhawks.

My 14 yr old told just the other day he thinks he's going ARMY because the USAF just doesn't do enough to get into the action. Even my own kid gives us grief.

Thanks for your service as well as your son.

• Like 1

Oh wooooow....A lot of assumptions in this thread.....I really only have free time on the weekends. Yeoldetool, don't assume that I think my time is more valuable than anyone else's(I do not need a silver spoon). But thanks for thanking me and insulting me in the same post, you are awesome! This post has went off track a bit, I am a medic with an infantry unit, I am a busy man that has a lot of studying to do so I can save lives when I deploy next year. My Saiga/shooting is a fun hobby that I enjoy. Thank you to everyone that has added useful information to my thread, I really appreciate it. I will try some Remington sluggers. I normally shoot the value packs of Winchesters or some Federals. I will try out the search option.

I never knew a forum could be so hostile lol, great first impression Yeoldetool, you are awesome!!! I am so glad you appreciate me!

Bigdaddy, that is a funny picture of that shirt. My LT is pretty freaking cool. She is the only female in my unit, but she is tough as nails.

But this is a post about some noob questions about my Saiga. I will refrain from posting in the near future and will utilize the search engine. Is that ok Toolman?

But seriously, thank you for those of you that offered useful advice. I guess I did not know what I was getting into when I received a Christmas present.

• Like 2

Oh wooooow....A lot of assumptions in this thread.....I really only have free time on the weekends. Yeoldetool, don't assume that I think my time is more valuable than anyone else's(I do not need a silver spoon). But thanks for thanking me and insulting me in the same post, you are awesome! This post has went off track a bit, I am a medic with an infantry unit, I am a busy man that has a lot of studying to do so I can save lives when I deploy next year. My Saiga/shooting is a fun hobby that I enjoy. Thank you to everyone that has added useful information to my thread, I really appreciate it. I will try some Remington sluggers. I normally shoot the value packs of Winchesters or some Federals. I will try out the search option.

I never knew a forum could be so hostile lol, great first impression Yeoldetool, you are awesome!!! I am so glad you appreciate me!

Bigdaddy, that is a funny picture of that shirt. My LT is pretty freaking cool. She is the only female in my unit, but she is tough as nails.

But this is a post about some noob questions about my Saiga. I will refrain from posting in the near future and will utilize the search engine. Is that ok Toolman?

But seriously, thank you for those of you that offered useful advice. I guess I did not know what I was getting into when I received a Christmas present.

This is why I didn't participate in this to begin with.

See what happens when assume is involved...

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service, sorry the impression and what not was as it was. The entitlement bunny went a wee bit loco in some. It'll happen, and the first post and being like this is usually always taken poorly, not your fault.

I also understand, not getting help is frustrating and getting something handled sometimes requires unorthodox methods. I hope it's all sorted man.

there was a bit of this, but I resisted lol

23017695.jpg

hijacked.gif

My 14 yr old told just the other day he thinks he's going ARMY because the USAF just doesn't do enough to get into the action. Even my own kid gives us grief.

its funny you should bring this up liberty, my little brother no longer wants to join the marines, but wants to be an Air Force PJ. i thought that was pretty cool of him to say.