New guy questions > Saiga-12 edition

I started a similar thread in the General Discussion that went swimmingly, so I figured I should focus my S12 questions here (hopefully to the same effect!) Per the title, I'm relatively new to firearms and green to all things Saiga. Here it goes. . .

1) If the 030 models (e.g. IZ-433) have a auto-regulating gas system and the 040 models (IZ-412) and the IZ-109 have a manually adjustable gas system, which is more desirable (i.e. is it better to have the ability to change the gas settings yourself?)

2) If the manually adjustable gas system is best, what is the preference b/t the IZ-109 model and the IZ-412. I realize that opinions vary, but I'm hoping for some insight here to inform my decision.

> I've seen the MD Arms V-plug and the one from CSS. Are those the 2 leaders?

Lastly, I have basic knowledge of a standard conversion, but beyond that, what are some of the most common mods to boost performance? Essentially I want to know what I can do to add to the converted S12 that might not be included in the basic conversion steps. I don't mind recos regarding furniture, rail systems, and the like, but let me know which items are more cosmetic and which are functional.

Thank you in advance!

No disrespect, but I would recommend addressing more specific (narrowed down) issues one at a time. This seems liable to become a miandering free for all. Most of us are eager to learn or to help. Too many topics addressed. Make simpler, single focused threads about what you want to know... Then again, I could be wrong.

Let the oppinion flinging begin!!!

With the auto plug you can do it with a 109. So what's the difference? Get what you can and make it run. Most importantly have fun doing it.

Edited by 45Bretired

I use a CSS performance puck but I've seen it work with everything. You do have to give up shooting 3" though but that's no issue for me personally.

Where did you hear that 3" are no good with the CSS Puck? I have one. Never heard that. Thanks 45Bretired!

I have heard of no magnum loads with the TAC47 AutoPlug...

It is a bit of CYA from the manufacturer. They sell it in such a way that people tend to buy it who don't need it. i.e. properly gassed guns. If you take a gun that already has enough gas to function with low brass then give it a boost, it will be a bit hot with 3"

However, if the gun is in that narrow 95% reliability band where a booster is enough to bump it up to 100% with low brass, IMO high brass should not be a problem. You are basically keeping the same proportion of force as the factory spread on a properly gassed gun.

As for autoplug and 3" ammo, that may be a bit riskier. I have a buffer in my autoplugged gun, so I doubt that 3" can do any damage. It seems to cycle fine for me, but other people have had issues with cycling too fast due to over pressure, and therefore failing to feed. The shells are ejecting a normal enough distance.You can simply turn the autoplug upside down and out a turn which is similar to the "off" setting on an adjustable plug. That's what I do. Ask your doctor if this is right for you and proceed with caution.

I started a similar thread in the General Discussion that went swimmingly, so I figured I should focus my S12 questions here (hopefully to the same effect!) Per the title, I'm relatively new to firearms and green to all things Saiga. Here it goes. . .

1) If the 030 models (e.g. IZ-433) have a auto-regulating gas system and the 040 models (IZ-412) and the IZ-109 have a manually adjustable gas system, which is more desirable (i.e. is it better to have the ability to change the gas settings yourself?)

I say, buy all three.

2) If the manually adjustable gas system is best, what is the preference b/t the IZ-109 model and the IZ-412. I realize that opinions vary, but I'm hoping for some insight here to inform my decision.

> I've seen the MD Arms V-plug and the one from CSS. Are those the 2 leaders?

They're both quality product that do basically the same thing, except I believe the MD Arms plug has more settings. Again, I say buy them all.

Lastly, I have basic knowledge of a standard conversion, but beyond that, what are some of the most common mods to boost performance? Essentially I want to know what I can do to add to the converted S12 that might not be included in the basic conversion steps. I don't mind recos regarding furniture, rail systems, and the like, but let me know which items are more cosmetic and which are functional.

Thank you in advance!

This question has a lot to do with specific tastes and problems. All of which require being addressed specifically.

Welcome to your new addiction and the Saiga platform.

I use a CSS performance puck but I've seen it work with everything. You do have to give up shooting 3" though but that's no issue for me personally.

Why do you have to give up shooting 3" stuff if you use that puck and is that the same for ANY after market puck?

I think that was just a tag to the autoplug question aside from the puck. Doesn't the autoplug warn against Magnum shells?

Edited by Litany Against Fear

I broke my carrier firing Remington Express 3" 00 Buck on setting 2 with a CSS puck. That is a potentially expensive (for most) or time consuming (for me) experiment. I just wanted to see what would happen, how many rounds could be fired like that before failure, and know how to spot the damage if a future customer does it to one of my conversions. I was really looking for signs of bolt damage or rear block damage, but the carrier was the only thing that failed or showed signs of wear. A sick and twisted part of me really enjoyed breaking the weapon. The tri-folder was absolutely punishing to the degree that I bruised deeply and was sore for a few days, which has never happened to me from shooting.

In a nutshell, I do not recommend using 3" loads with a CSS puck and with the regulator on the wide open setting. Don't do it.

• Like 1