What Were The Last Things That You Bought (Firearm Related)?

Hey, what's the current opinions on the Rock Island Armory 1911's? A local gun store has an officer's model for a VERY good price. I have a Springfield Ultra Carry V-10 Compensated that I just don't like that much... The comp. idea is good in theory, but for practical use it's kind of a pain in the butt. I'd rather have a non-comp. .45 for carry. I found some good reviews from 2014 here, but wasn't sure if they still have a good reputation?

Well, I went and done it. I traded-in the Springer for an RIA/Armscor 1911 CS Tac. (not the Tac II) It's basically identical to the Springer, but not compensated. My holsters and spare mags all work with it too.  :up:

• Like 3
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MINE!   Automag IV .45 Winchester Magnum.   Hard to find, and companion to my Automag III.

Another wheel gun:  

Brought home the boys new rifle. Just need to cut the stock down a few inches and slick up the action a bit. Should be fun with some sub sonics.   Can you tell he likes it?

Posted Images

My Christmas gift to myself biggrin.png

RV8gO6I.jpg

Wow, curiosity was killing this cat, never heard of or seen these before.

Did a little research, interesting little carbines, but not much on them.

Are the mags proprietary?  Are they reliable?  Accuracy at 25-50 yards?

My Christmas gift to myself :DRV8gO6I.jpg

Wow, curiosity was killing this cat, never heard of or seen these before.

Did a little research, interesting little carbines, but not much on them.

Are the mags proprietary?  Are they reliable?  Accuracy at 25-50 yards?

Mags are proprietary but not terribly expensive. Reliability is pretty good, I did have a few fail to go into battery on a full 30 round mag but it could've been weaker ammo. Accuracy is phenomenal, I was getting ragged bullseyes and consistently ringing a 3" gong at 25 yards offhand with iron sights using Blazer 124gn brass. No chance for longer range yet.

i love hand cannons!!

MINE!

Automag IV .45 Winchester Magnum.

pix399311708.jpg

Hard to find, and companion to my Automag III.

keep getting rid of em, but gonna get a keeper eventyally

Picked it up yesterday. Some monkey had a pair of pliers on the barrel bushing, and it was bone-dry, but other than some holster wear, it's good.

Looks like a low round count gun.

New barrel bushing on the way.

This morning I tested the Automag IV after I cleaned it with Balistol and lubed it with RIG +.
​There was a bit of galling on one of the frame rails, but a very minor stoning and polishing (all by hand...no power tools) cleaned it right up.
It works well.
VERY, VERY LOUD. Massive fireball, easily visible in daylight. It echoed for a bit.

Recoil is high, but manageable. Lots of muzzle flip. You know you're shooting a very powerful gun.

I went out and looked at the can (coffee can size) I shot at. I thought I missed. Nope! There is a 1/2" hole clear through it, dead center. The water leaked out before I shot, so it didn't go BOOM! when I hit it.

This thing SHOOTS!

One minor ergonomic issue: If you're left handed, you need to arch your trigger finger so it doesn't engage the slide safety when the gun recoils, or you'll lock the slide back every shot.

Cleaned up:

gallery_8052_1427_1234026.jpg

We have a keeper.
Edited by patriot
  • Like 5

Weaver 20 MOA rail for the new Axis .223

If you haven't done it yet, be sure to look up on youtube how to do a trigger job on it. A couple different ways that are super simple and a make a world of difference. 

This is the one I did...

I have not done the glass bedding yet, but I intend to.

Edited by YOT
  • Like 1

Mosquito hats and netting.  Not quite gun related but necessary in some of the wetter parts of our woods during hot muggy summer/autumns.  Some of the best deer areas are bug laden.  I suppose the stuff will also work against ticks.

JDeko? ... is there a anti B29 artillery round limit inside your B29 gun?  Two, (2)?  Three, (3)?  Or no limit and blast away?  smile.png

Edited and added by HB of CJ .    For those who do not know what a "B29" is, it is a big Canadian Honker Goose.  Big as .... well,  B29 bombers.  Also good to eat if prepped properly.  Yumm yumm!  :)

Edited by HB of CJ

I bought: Several end mills. a couple hundred rounds of .22lr on principle and a pound of H110.

Was given an 80% AR blank, some lower parts and the jigs we used over christmas.

Gonna get my ghost on in January.

Oh and I was also able to drop $200 as a down payment to buy back one of the pistols I had to sell for rent money a few months back.

I'm not going to buy a lot of gun stuff since I mostly want to pay down school and buy a couple rings and associated kit. 2017 is looking up.

• Like 2

Where did you find H110?  Curious minds wonder.  smile.png

Try Powder Valley

They carry H110 and WW296. 

A really great magnum pistol powder. I use it in 30 carbine and 45 Win Mag.

It's good in HEAVY (high pressure) 45 Colt loads too.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

patriot; thank you.  Question at large for everybody since I am not sure at all; ... is there a limit on how much powder and primers one can have on hand inside their home or shop before a special bunker is needed?  I can find nothing definite.  We have friends into belt guns.  They are curious also.

patriot; thank you.  Question at large for everybody since I am not sure at all; ... is there a limit on how much powder and primers one can have on hand inside their home or shop before a special bunker is needed?  I can find nothing definite.  We have friends into belt guns.  They are curious also.

....ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

Thank you patriot.  NFPA recommendations, not required State or Federal Law?  National Fire Protection Association.  Still curious.  If memory serves, 7000 primers and 40 pounds of powder kinda rings true?  This comes from the state building codes which are laws?

Dunno.  Been too long ago.

Also the reality is that in our South West Oregon Josephine County because of a series of good events, we have very little/none county/state government and/or enforcement.  We can pretty much do what we want which is good but I do not want to blow up.  Yikes!  :)

Local city codes would enter into it also.  Will find out.  Will advise.

HB of CJ retired fire service

Thank you patriot.  NFPA recommendations, not required State or Federal Law?  National Fire Protection Association.  Still curious.  If memory serves, 7000 primers and 40 pounds of powder kinda rings true?  This comes from the state building codes which are laws?

Dunno.  Been too long ago.

Also the reality is that in our South West Oregon Josephine County because of a series of good events, we have very little/none county/state government and/or enforcement.  We can pretty much do what we want which is good but I do not want to blow up.  Yikes!  smile.png

Local city codes would enter into it also.  Will find out.  Will advise.

HB of CJ retired fire service

there are certain local and state regulations which you might be able to easily locate you can check fireworks storage and transportation laws for another line on these. Fire safety building codes are a federal building standard, but are also listed at the state level in most cases. current common building codes are the 2007 code in most cases where you cannot find specific local laws about them. the first building codes were for fire, and were introduced by benjamin franklin in phillidelphia (why does that not look right?), with the first plumbing codes following next, some years later......(not that anybody cares, but they entailed how far from the roof at certain pitches the chimney exhaust was, how it was skirted and capped, and the flu / damper configuration to prevent backspill of CO2 and smoke into the home during overnight temperature drops.....these initial laws are still basically the same to this day, neat huh? one of the founding fathers basically helped design your home)

basically, it falls under hazmat storage laws. I have a real good idea who you know who would know the answer. your buddies, namely either the head of the local training center, or the head arson inspector. they would either know offhand or know exactly where to look......many people dont know you cant store over X amount of pool chemicals in the pool shed here in florida, so it wouldnt surprise me if you have a little trouble getting the final skinny of the law where you are on this....

Edited by Ben Vampatella
  • Like 1

Nice.

Friend of mine has a Marlin in 45-70, I was surprised how "tame" it is out of such a light gun, relatively speaking of course. Definitely makes steel ring a nice tone.

Right you are, recoil is very tame. It's really a handy little rifle, quick target acquisition and seems on target right out of the box.

Only plunked a few shots in my back yard but so far I like it a lot.

We got a cat getting a little to bold for my liking around here, I figured a quick handling thumper would be an appropriate add to the family. I don't care much for cats, especially 160 pound ones when their killing the neighbors livestock and tearing up their pets.

• Like 1

Nice.

Friend of mine has a Marlin in 45-70, I was surprised how "tame" it is out of such a light gun, relatively speaking of course. Definitely makes steel ring a nice tone.

Right you are, recoil is very tame. It's really a handy little rifle, quick target acquisition and seems on target right out of the box.

Only plunked a few shots in my back yard but so far I like it a lot.

We got a cat getting a little to bold for my liking around here, I figured a quick handling thumper would be an appropriate add to the family. I don't care much for cats, especially 160 pound ones when their killing the neighbors livestock and tearing up their pets.

A  300GR JHP @ ~1900FPS will make short work of that cat.

• Like 2