Bad day at the range

Nothing wrong with incremental adjustment tuned to the friction in his gun.

However, Jetmech did post the numbers most smiths have settled on, so they are a sensible place to start.

However, Jetmech did post the numbers most smiths have settled on, so they are a sensible place to start.

The last four S12's I have converted have all function 100% the first trip to the range (with low brass) after drilling the ports correctly and minor re-profiling.

Picked up all the info from this forum and fine tuned it with Keith @ TAC47.

Get one running correctly and they quickly become addictive.

Edited by Jetmech

I'm sure it can be discouraging to an amateur to make adjustments without achieving the results desired. Plus, amateurs don't have all of the time to go back and forth to a range for testing. I recommend taking the advice of the Pros who have spent the time and identified a fix. Why waste time reinventing the wheel? Especially if you don't have the previous experience.

3 port guns .093

4 port guns .076

I read your original post for .093 and before I did the math I guessed-a-mated

that to be 5/64s and that was what I drilled out (the original gas ports were right at 1/16th so I just went up one drill bit). I figured I can always remove more metal, I just can't replace any if I over drilled. Actually it's just under 3/32s and hopefully that is what I reamed it out to be the second time. I'm pretty good with wood, but I'm mechanically challenged. Thanks again for your help and patience.

• Like 1

3 port guns .093

4 port guns .076

I read your original post for .093 and before I did the math I guessed-a-mated

that to be 5/64s and that was what I drilled out (the original gas ports were right at 1/16th so I just went up one drill bit). I figured I can always remove more metal, I just can't replace any if I over drilled. Actually it's just under 3/32s and hopefully that is what I reamed it out to be the second time. I'm pretty good with wood, but I'm mechanically challenged. Thanks again for your help and patience.

Just a little small but if it works your good to go.

.093 is 3/32. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_decimal-fraction_equivalents:_0_to_1_by_64ths

Decimal-fraction_equivalents--v0006.png

Took it out this morning, with the original gas plug #1 setting it was 100% with high brass. On #2 setting it was somewhere in the mid 90%s. All in all, I'm a happy camper. Since this is more for home defense, I'll be using high brass ammo, and it was working great. Thanks Jetmech for your info on gas port size. It sure made the difference, and although it was a little scarey to start the work, it really wasn't that hard to do.

Took it out this morning, with the original gas plug #1 setting it was 100% with high brass. On #2 setting it was somewhere in the mid 90%s. All in all, I'm a happy camper. Since this is more for home defense, I'll be using high brass ammo, and it was working great. Thanks Jetmech for your info on gas port size. It sure made the difference, and although it was a little scarey to start the work, it really wasn't that hard to do.

I only passed on info gained from this forum. Glad you got it running well.

3 port guns .093

4 port guns .076

Jetmech, thanks for the info and the encouragement to do the work. I'm pretty good with wood, but I'm mechanically challenged. The first time I removed the gas block and redrilled the gas ports, I guessed-a-mated .093 as 5/64s which didn't help. So then I actually did the math and found out it should be just under 3/32s, which is what I hopefully reamed it out to. With the original gas plug back in, on #1 setting high brass works 100% and on #2 low brass is mid 90s%. So now I'm a happy camper since this is mainly a home defense shotgun and I will be using high brass shotshells.

• Like 1

I had similar experience with the new Saiga I got for Christmas last year. Serious reliability issues. I started trying things. I tried a performance puck, a light recoil spring, a TAC-47 plug. I even sent my bolt off and had it polished by Pauly, who did a fantastic job by the way. There was some improvement, but still wasn't reliable. I decided to get into the gas block and that's where the problem was. I have a 4 hole gun and 2 of the ports were partially blocked. I put a .070 (recommended by Pauly) through the ports and made sure they were open & clean. Then, I did the "D" mod with the hole that surrounds the ports and made sure everything was open. I put it all back together, with only a little drama. I went back to the original recoil spring, cleaned her all up, lubed the rails and took her out back. I was very happy, the gun now cycles very reliability. I'm glad I fixed my problem myself. I now feel I know my gun a lot better and it runs great. I, too, was at the point where I was ready to sell it. I'm glad I got it working myself. She's ready for zombies.

Edited by goldenpony
  • Like 1

I really wish someone would take that "D" mod sticky down. It is too easy to compromise the gas block's ability to seal when doing the mod. If someone will take it down, I will create a DIY thread that shows a much better and easier way.

• 2 weeks later...

I polished all my internals prior to shooting mine for the first time. I'm a strong polisher. Mine shot pretty good with a few FTE's on the low brass stuff. I put a DPH plug and CSS puck in mine and that solved the problem entirely. i had the ports looked at during my conversion. None blocked. I didnt do anything else. It's shooting great now.

I polished all my internals prior to shooting mine for the first time. I'm a strong polisher. Mine shot pretty good with a few FTE's on the low brass stuff. I put a DPH plug and CSS puck in mine and that solved the problem entirely. i had the ports looked at during my conversion. None blocked. I didnt do anything else. It's shooting great now.

Who did your conversion?

Who did your conversion?

It was local gunsmith that does Saiga conversions. Im not gonna post here as I dont wanna violate business member terms of service. A friend of a friend actually knows the owner. I got to watch the progress in the shop. It was interesting to watch. Learned a lot.

I polished all my internals prior to shooting mine for the first time. I'm a strong polisher. Mine shot pretty good with a few FTE's on the low brass stuff. I put a DPH plug and CSS puck in mine and that solved the problem entirely. i had the ports looked at dxuring my conversion. None blocked. I didnt do anything else. It's shooting great now.

Who did your conversion?

It was local gunsmith that does Saiga conversions. Im not gonna post here as I dont wanna violate business member terms of service. A friend of a friend actually knows the owner. I got to watch the progress in the shop. It was interesting to watch. Learned a lot.

Go ahead and post up who did the conversion

It's only against the rules to directly post a non vendor link.

Kind of strange that both you and BOB A BOOYE do a great unconverted polish job, but neither of you do your own conversion.

Both of you also use aftermarket pucks.

Coincidence huh?

Edited by Jetmech

I polished all my internals prior to shooting mine for the first time. I'm a strong polisher. Mine shot pretty good with a few FTE's on the low brass stuff. I put a DPH plug and CSS puck in mine and that solved the problem entirely. i had the ports looked at dxuring my conversion. None blocked. I didnt do anything else. It's shooting great now.

Who did your conversion?

Kind of strange that both you and BOB A BOOYE do a great unconverted polish job, but neither of you do your own conversion.

Coincidence huh?

Yeah I'm not sure what your point. He's not the guy I used.

Who did your conversion?

Coincidence huh?

Who did you use.......it's not against forum rules to post a name.

Who did your conversion?

Coincidence huh?

I think his point is that he thinks you're me using another name. Clearly we're the only members of this site that have polished their internals and use a gas plug. He's a complete tool dude. Not that this matters to you but a review of his content will paint you a picture of exactly how neurotic this guy is. Sorry for your troubles. Ignore him. I havent seen him on here in a while. I was hoping Juggernaut bounced him. He's pathological. PM me if you need more info.

Who did your conversion?

Coincidence huh?

I think his point is that he thinks you're me using another name. Clearly we're the only members of this site that have polished their internals and use a gas plug. He's a complete tool dude. Not that this matters to you but a review of his content will paint you a picture of exactly how neurotic this guy is. Sorry for your troubles. Ignore him. I havent seen him on here in a while. I was hoping Juggernaut bounced him. He's pathological. PM me if you need more info.

Another coincidence BOB answering this thread right after Lead Poison logged off....... haha.gif Edited by Jetmech

Yeah I'm not real sure what you're point it. I'm not that other dude and quite honestly I dont know why you'd be pissed at me if I had a professional shop do my conversion. Looking at your content you seem to have a particular opinion on that subject but I didnt do anything to bother you so why break my balls about it? You rag on people who use Tromix or Lone Star or Red Jacket among dozens of others? Sheesh....lighten up man.

Yeah I'm not real sure what you're point it. I'm not that other dude and quite honestly I dont know why you'd be pissed at me if I had a professional shop do my conversion. Looking at your content you seem to have a particular opinion on that subject but I didnt do anything to bother you so why break my balls about it? You rag on people who use Tromix or Lone Star or Red Jacket among dozens of others? Sheesh....lighten up man.

WRONG......Shops do great work and you have missed many of my post where I highly recommend TAC47(great local shop).

Never ever ragged on Tromix/ Lonestar/ Red Jacket or any other premier builders you mentioned.

Since you have checked my content........I'm calling you out to post the subject links where you claimed I ragged on members for using Tromix/ Lonestar/ Red Jacket "among dozens of others" and the quotes. Didn't realize there were "dozens of others"vendors on this forum providing builds.

Why don't you give your local builder a big positive plug by mentioning their shops name?It's not against forum rules.

BTW....here is a list of the last visitors to my profile. You joined August 26, 2012 Lead Poison.....and immediately read my content??????BSHIT!!!!!!!! I smell a troll!!!!!!

Edited by Jetmech

Read my post again man the thing about Tromix, Lone Star and Red Jacket was QUESTION not a STATEMENT. As in you WOULDNT rag on folks who had their Saiga's worked on there. Angry and stupid is no way to go through life son.....

Come on son.....give your shop a free plug.....it's not against forum rules if you don't link them. Why hide someone who does good work? Another member may be in the vicinity and could use them.

big_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gif

And you claim you have read my content........but haven't visited my profile since at least August 30th?

Why would a newbie even be interested in my content?big_smile.gifbig_smile.gifbig_smile.gif

Edited by Jetmech

Hmm.... how INTERESTING is this....

IPimage.jpg

Looks like someone has 4 different accounts from the SAME IP address...

I need to get 4 PMs pretty quick from 4 different people... Or I start deleting DUPLICATE ACCOUNTS.... ALL OF THEM.

Have a nice day ! :D

:smoke:

post-721-0-93261200-1347558662_thumb.jpg

I need to get 4 PMs pretty quick from 4 different people... Or I start deleting DUPLICATE ACCOUNTS.... ALL OF THEM.

Have a nice day ! biggrin.png

000.gif

I thought Lead Poison was BOB A BOOEY's troll as soon as soon as it started posting.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions Indy. big_smile.gif

000.gif

I thought Lead Poison was BOB A BOOEY's troll as soon as soon as it started posting.

Who would know about trolling better than you asshole.

000.gif

Who would know about trolling better than you asshole.

Post reported!

3 port guns .093

4 port guns .076

Jetmech, thanks for the info and the encouragement to do the work. I'm pretty good with wood, but I'm mechanically challenged. The first time I removed the gas block and redrilled the gas ports, I guessed-a-mated .093 as 5/64s which didn't help. So then I actually did the math and found out it should be just under 3/32s, which is what I hopefully reamed it out to. With the original gas plug back in, on #1 setting high brass works 100% and on #2 low brass is mid 90s%. So now I'm a happy camper since this is mainly a home defense shotgun and I will be using high brass shotshells.

If you feel "done" at least there is cheap 3 1/4 dram equivalent low brass that ought to run for you as your gun is now.

• Like 1

Incidentally- I try to give everyone lots of chances. Looks like someone has used his up.

No doubt that particular "advanced member" is convinced that truth justice, and a natural sense of what is right are on his side. How does one maintain that perspective while making up facts and contradicting himself. How can a person pretend to be four people and still think he is the one being reasonable?

• Like 3