Senator Jim DeMint Responds

For SC tax payers, voters and Gun Rights advocates;

Dear Mr. Boombachelli,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to enhanced gun control measures. I appreciate hearing from you.

Like you, I agree we need to keep guns out of the hands of those who wish to break the law. However, current law already addresses the illegal use of firearms. We must first enforce current law, without criminalizing the use or ownership of firearms by law-abiding citizens, before attempting to create additional regulations. Criminals will always find ways to illegally obtain firearms. If we prevent every citizen from purchasing a gun, all citizens will be left defenseless.

I am committed to protecting the American citizen's Second Amendment right to bear arms. I believe that while we must grant law enforcement the tools to protect American lives, we can also protect with equal vigor the fundamental liberties that define our American way of life.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about any issue important to you or your family. It is an honor to serve you and the people of South Carolina.

Sincerely,

Jim DeMint

United States Senator

Much more substance and more specific than the response from Graham.

• Like 3

... But why do have to wonder, since it's from a politician, if one of his staffers didn't just do a "cut n' paste" from one of John Lott's articles and sent it to you? unsure.png

I don't think they would go so far as to cut and paste something from another source but I have wondered what the process is for something like this. I can see that a Senator might not have the time to personally answer every mail they receive as I'm sure they get a lot of stuff that is canned. I've seen form letters setup by those who have a cause and want you to write to Senators and Congressmen that are set up so that all you have to do is add your name and hit the button. I have no idea how many letters they get on a daily basis.

I can see that they might have "aides" that know them and their stands on the issues well enough to write a response and then have the person read it and approve it, or maybe it's just dictated I don't know.

But the bottom line is, the letter has their name on it so for better or worse no matter who wrote it, it's attributable to them.

• Like 1

They have form responses prepared for each issue. Aids can assemble a response from the forms, make alterations where needed. Who knows which senators personally review these things.

I used to have some kind of academic commendation I got "signed" by President Billy Jeff. ("A distinction which few escape" to borrow a phrase from M. Twain) I kept it for a while because I couldn't tell whether it was a really good printing or signed by a person.

As I suspected. But I wouldn't dismiss or discount such a letter because as I said above in the end it has his name on it so if he's not down with the content it's a problem, for him. These words are on record as his whether he uttered them or not. I guess this is why Graham's seemed somewhat vague.

• 3 months later...