20 Ga failure to eject

Bought a suposedly new 20 ga at a pawn shop a while back. It fails to eject after the first or second round. I disassembled and cleaned well. Took out the gas plug and cleaned the carbon out and cleared the ports in the bbl. (Apparantly not so new after all). Still Fails to eject after first or second rnd. Read on the forum that unscrew the plug one or more turns might allow more gas thru. Will try that later today. Any more ideas on what may help?

My brothers did and still does this with several types of ammo.

We ended up changing the front main spring with a 10# or 15# 1911 hand gun main spring. This helps the bolt unlock earlier when there is more pressure in the barrel.

It runs well with Remington bulk loads.

We ran a lot of high speed video and its as if the hulls hit the ejector but due to their poorly formed rim they don't retain on the extractor hook long enough to send them in the correct direction.

mine 20 did not want to eject about every 3 shells. some people told me to change the spring out. i did that and it still did not work right. i did a adjustable gas plug and it did better but did not fix it. took it to a gun shop and they said the holes in the gas area was too small they drilled them out to the right size and they said that that fixed it. im not a gun person and this is what i was told so not sure if it true or not. they work on alot of saigas so i think they would know what they was doing.

the shop i took it to was texas shooters supply.

www.texasshooterssupply.com

• Like 1

first off i have never worked on a 20 gauge so I'm not going to pretend to know what i'm talking about.

resizing the holes seems to be the typical fix for saiga 12's, i'm not sure how different (if at all) a 20 gauge is.

what i've seen other people do in addition to that is make sure the track that the bolt is on has no burrs and that it slides freely with very little friction. you may try that too

I think that if you post this question in general discussion you will get someone knowledgeable on the subject.

Edited by Salt
  • 3 weeks later...

My Saiga 20 runs great, so just be assured its possible.

The basic idea is to (1) minimize drag, particualrly of the bolt carrier, and (2) to maximize the power transmitted by the gas system.

For (1), see here.... http://forum.saiga-1...olish-the-bolt/

For (2), open the gas ports a little, get the new "twister puck" and the MDArms gas plug. Also, using no. 6 / 1 oz shot helps. Its heavier, and so will transmit more power to the piston, and only costs slightly more. High brass helps. If it is new, its needs to be broken in. Minumum 300 rounds. 500 is better. Shoot some buckshot thru it too. Also, a lighter recoil / return spring helps.

Keep the gas system as clean as possible.

Hope this helps. Its how I got mine running relaibly.

Edited by garandman

Still FTEs. I am going to polish the FCG and shoot it some more to break it in, then if it still FTEs, I am going to apply the S12 solution of drilling out the holes and/or adding another. The only problem I see is that the Gas block is not the same as the S12. the two pins are on the bottom of the block, on the same side of the bbl. Not on either side as in the pics of the S12 fix. Can someone verify these two pins will release the b;lock?