• 9 months later...

I actually like the sporting configuration. Like it was said previously, they are great carbines based on the worlds most reliable platform.

You and me, both. I regard them as cheaper, tougher, more reliable versions of the Mini 14/30...and I happen to like the Minis. As a mfg. engineer, I lived by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" for many years. The sporter Saiga ain't broke.

If I want fine triggers and better balance, I'll shoot my hunting rifles.

This has turned out to be the right approach. Here in NY a converted Saiga now has to be registered; not so if unconverted. I'll take unconverted/unregistered over converted/registered any day.

Yes. Converted or not, it's a great platform with lot's of calibers.

If I hadn't paid attention to the gun-snobs 15 years ago, I would have bought at least ten of them (@ >$200 each), knowing what I know now. They are one of the most reliable guns every created.

I wish I could bought all the 30-06 for the sticker price!!! Lol

And invested in a few others when they cost less!

But yes I am keeping my 12 and 223 mostly stock except mags and compliance parts to use those mags! Sporting all the way! No evil black gun features besides mags

Put me with me in the category with the few that says ......no way. The trigger is terrible on my stock S12. Worst trigger Ive ever handled on a gun of any sort by far. Now if I could at least change that, then yes I would.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have to say I currently live this situation.  I am not legally able to convert my sportster because of my state laws :(  But I was looking for a toy and a good battle rifle.  Around here AR pre banned are going for 2500 bucks or more.  Most are selling uppers and lowers at 1200. I bought my saiga for around 500 with FFL fees and shipping.  To me the ammo is cheap and the gun shoots great.  I can still put a great sight on it and change the hand guard to be more practical.  So for me yes I would buy another saiga over other rifles out there.

• Like 1

I have bought a couple of Saigas in the past year, but I bought them with the idea that I am going to convert them. So far I have done my S 12 and am very happy with the results. I am also gathering parts to convert a 7.62 X 39 and a 5.45 X 39.

As I considered options on currently available AK builds, seems most are hit and miss in terms of quality. I figured the Saiga as imported generally functions well and things like the trigger and ergonomics can be addressed with currently available parts.

For the last few months, I would have answered "no" for the S12 vs V12 based on feature list per price. Except for a competition build or anything that you want an AR like stock on. Then convert a 030 variant.

With the IZ-433 based packages that legion has out, at prices posted last week, it is again closely tied with V12, and the choice would depend to me on what format you want to end up with. I'd take whichever got me the right combination of parts for the right money and be happy with it.  IMO, unless you have a reason to keep the "sporterized" layout. Cost of a S12 plus conversion is so close to one of the fancy LRBHO models either 030 or V12 that you may as well just get one of those. The 108 and 109 are great guns, but the magwell and LRBHO are a clear improvement.

*counterpoint* if you want to shoot magnums all day or want the softest shooting gun, or want to make an SBS, I still think the IZ-109 type gas block is superior, especially when combined with a modded auto plug. A factory model with the 109 style gas block and the rear sight block, ust cover, LRBHO and magwelll of the 030 family would be my preferred choice.