i would.

its still an AK, and its still russian. even without the evil features, the reliability is there, as well as the history.

people still buy bolt guns, muzzle loaders and black powder pistols. as well as pump action shotties and lever guns, and revolvers. even though there are very limited options in comparison to that of saigas and AR15's and other semi autos, but they still sell pretty good.

• Like 1

S12? For sure. Maybe not if I could choose a factory Adkal vs sporterized S12 with only 5 rounders.

Other calibers depend on cost. There are plenty of other decent semi auto rifles with controls and features I like better, like stainless. The AK is attractive because of it's whole package of interchangable components. If I am not allowed to lay it out like I want it, I may as well buy something else that is in the right shape. However, saiga 7.62 vs SKS, I would rather have the saiga, if the money is close.

in .223? No, there are other guns in the $400 range that have a lot more appeal to me. .308? dunno, maybe, that seems like a reasonable price and solid layout. I could see that being a hunting rifle if I were doing the big game thing.

There are bolt guns that cost similar, and I would rather have the .308 saiga.

• Like 1

When I bought mine, most of the options we have now didn't exist. Granted that the total cost for both was less than 500 all totaled up. Still believe I would have done it again. Regardless of how they are dressed up, the basic premise remains the same, tough, dead-nuts reliable semi-automatic requiring very little maintenance to remain that way.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

yup I had a Rem. 1187 other than being rifled I would rather carry the S12 unconverted in the snow and know it would'nt jam. Much lighter too. Do the trigger mod and get rid of that 2 stage crap and they are not bad at all. Just like a G2

Edited by rnemhrd
  • 4 weeks later...

The S-308, Yes - Definately!. There were no high capacity mags available when I bought mine and none on the horizon in '04. It also has the "least sucky" factory trigger of all the Saigas. I can't think of another / comparible .308 semiauto in the same league as far as cost / weight / length. Light and handy and factory mags are easily converted from 8 to 10 rounders.

As for all the others? It would largely depend on what the available alternatives were. I'll go with "maybe" there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...