EDC Knife - What do you look for, carry, and why?

So I have recently been turned on to the benefits of an EDC knife. In an effort to educate myself I thought I would ask those who practice this on this forum:

- What do you look for in an EDC knife?

- What make\model do you personally carry?

- Why is that a good fit for you?

If you have made the decision not to carry one for some reason please feel free to chime in as well. Thanks guys for the information and for helping my work day go by faster...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you are into that sort of thing. . . or interested in trying it, here's a website that offers "kits" for assembly for folders and fixed blades: http://www.knifekits.../vcom/index.php   About two

Yeah, but my neighbors complain when I use my pistol to open a letter. It does work well for putting the bills into the 3ring binder.     Different knives for specific work. That was my list for t

My carry knife is a $15 Walmart Gerber. I'm not much of a knife guy.   My favorite knife, is this skinner that my Dad made for me back in 1997. He's far from a "pro" knife maker, but he cobbled up

Posted Images

I carry a leatherman Charge T-Ti has all my utility

my EDC knife is usually an auto OTF (unless in the city of Atlanta, which they have a ban specifically on those, then it's one of a few bali-songs or a Benchmade 523 Presidio Tanto or Benchmade 810 Contego)

Autos that I carry are a

Benchmade 3350 mini infidel (not right now, needs work, as they are weak springed and not as good as microtechs)

Microtech Combat Troodon (carry this 90% of the time)

Microtech UltraTech

Microtech Makora II

My EDC knife is something that is single purpose.

Edited by Syndicate
  • Like 1

If you ever need a certain microtech, let me know. I can locate all the old hard to find stuff and have most of it. I can get a hell of a deal on the new stuff. I can even get the Marfione blades on occasion.

Make sure you check your laws on auto knives. In Nevada, even with a CCW, you can't have an automatic knife. A spring assist is legal though.

I have an automatic transmission on my vehicle. Much more deadly than an assisted blade. Fuck em! Get a fucking warrant.

• Like 2

One of my other 'passions'. . . that being a custom knife aficionado. But you really do not want to hear what I have to say. On this forum, where the majority of the firearms procured new cost significantly less than any of my very basic custom folders and flippers. . . No, you really do not want to know or hear about my personal considerations regarding an EDC.

grimace.gif

Edited by Gary
  • Like 2

If you ever need a certain microtech, let me know. I can locate all the old hard to find stuff and have most of it. I can get a hell of a deal on the new stuff. I can even get the Marfione blades on occasion.

I have an automatic transmission on my vehicle. Much more deadly than an assisted blade. Fuck em! Get a fucking warrant.

oh really? I've been looking to add to my collection. My H.A.L.O. is so original I got a call from Scott about it wondering how I got it, all it's directions were mostly hand printed on paper or hand cut on orange paper in a plane box you could buy at an office store. I want to get a newer H.A.L.O. that isn't so rare and valuable for carry use.

One of my other 'passions'. . . that being a custom knife aficionado. But you really do not want to hear what I have to say. On this forum, where the majority of the firearms procured new cost significantly less than any of my very basic custom folders and flippers. . . No, you really do not want to know or hear about my personal considerations regarding an EDC.

Gary I know you and I are on the same page, my primary carry knife originally went for more then my carry gun.

• Like 1

Gary I know you and I are on the same page, my primary carry knife originally went for more then my carry gun.

Below is my EDC knife, a Boguszewski 'white Asp'. I'm its second or third owner and it cost me an even $K. IMO EDCs are equivalent to men's jewelry options. . . yet a true, steadfast EDC is a trial and error process; you have to 'try it on', wear it for some time, before you will know that "it IS the one" for you. That can be. . . a rather expensive determination process. I own several, more expensive pocket clip custom knives, but none come more close to being "the total package" for me personally than this Bogi Asp. wink.png Naturally, it's solely a matter of personal preference.

post-4853-0-35138300-1346259689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

Gary and Syndicate, what is the rationale behind paying so much for a custom EDC (I am asking sincerely)? Is it the collectibility, the prestige, a special purpose knife, or is there some functional advandage? As Rusty Truck said, you can $25 for something practical and not worry about it. Another consideration is I have talked to others that say your carry gun should be reliable but "expendible" because if you ever have to use it in self-defense you will more than likely lose it as evidence. So as someone trying to make an educated decision, how do I set a viable price range when knives vary from $12 to upwards of $1000? Thanks!

• Like 3

Gary and Syndicate, what is the rationale behind paying so much for a custom EDC (I am asking sincerely)? Is it the collectibility, the prestige, a special purpose knife, or is there some functional advandage? As Rusty Truck said, you can $25 for something practical and not worry about it. Another consideration is I have talked to others that say your carry gun should be reliable but "expendible" because if you ever have to use it in self-defense you will more than likely lose it as evidence. So as someone trying to make an educated decision, how do I set a viable price range when knives vary from $12 to upwards of $1000? Thanks!

For me it's a bit of collection, obsession with finer things in life, and appreciating that a lot of things in life are a dying art. Blade and metal work being one of them. I have high quality steel that has an edge to be reckoned with and it lasts. I have to oil them and keep them up sure, but I can pass these down to someone. A lot of people are like well I don't care if I lose it, I care, it's a familiar part of me and I know it's weight how it handles and what I can do with it should the time arise I need it.

Life to me is to short to get just any old thing. I look at it like this, shaving with a straight razer, disposables can cost $300-400 a year on average, I buy a $400 straight razer and can maintain it and pass it on, my first straight razer was my great grandfathers, unfortunately it was stolen. I am willing to bet it is older then just about anyone on this site.

I have a set of cooking knives that I maintain, I will most likely have them most of my life. *shrugs*

I'm not saying it's everyone's reasoning but it is mine

• Like 1

Excellent question; I appreciate the sincerity of how you stated it. So. . . I will attempt to provide you an answer, but know of course that it is MY answer and everyone will have a different take and response. This topic is akin to attempting to debate or discuss which is the best personal defense ammunition caliber, or which handgun is best for concealed carry.

As I mentioned previously, IMO EDC items can be (but are not always) like personal jewelry: "Hmmm. . . what do I feel like wearing today?" What EDC item will meet the essential requirements of what I believe I will be doing today? That sort of thing. Hell, it can come down to what EDC item visually goes best with what I am wearing. Like, I would not select my Bogi Asp as my carry knife were I headed off in a three piece suit to attend a wedding, followed by a wedding reception. But I digress.

Speaking only for myself, my "rationale" for selecting the Bogi Asp as my EDC are, or were based on the following factors, in no particular order of precedence:

1) I'm 52 years young biggrin.png, retired from the U.S. Military; working my second career. . . so I can afford some of the nicer things in life, and have pursued such things now as "hobbies". So, spending $1K on a custom knife that upon its purchase at the time I believed would become my EDC knife (as previously mentioned in my other reply post, you have to 'try it' for a while; wear it for some time, before you will know with reasonable surety that "it IS the one" for your EDC needs), wasn't a financial risk for me.

2) My current employment has me essentially "riding a desk" and jockying a computer five days out of the week; I work in an administrative-type environment. So, my EDC knife does not need to be a work horse; 99.9% of its utilization is for cutting packaging tape and opening cardboard boxes, all of which only happens rarely.

3) For my EDC knife, I wanted something that I could use for personal defense purposes as well, and I found the Boguszewski Asp's specific blade shape and overall size to be absolutely ideal in that regard.

4) With the pursuit of my custom knife hobby/passion, I developed an affinity for "flipper" type folding mechanisms, and Phil Boguszewski developed one of arguably thee best such mechanisms, so I was compelled to own an example of his work. Additionally, Phil Boguszewski happens to live about 25 miles from my home (although I have never personally met the guy), so that too was a motivator for me toward collecting one of his pieces.

The above pretty-much sums it up for me. As implied in #4 above, there is some prestige I suppose associated with owning a Boguszewski custom knife, and unquestionably there's the collectability factor. But, the latter becomes markedly deminished once one actually starts carrying and using such high end custom knives as their EDCs due naturally to wear (marks and scratches sustained specifically to the pocket knife's clip, and tiny scratches and markings that occur to the knife's bolsters and scales due to other items that bump-up against it while traveling in one's pants pocket, such as car keys and pocket change).

Uhhhhhh. . . I suppose this was all more than you wanted to know or hear?

~Gary

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

My EDC knives these days are mostly "tools", Swiss Army or Leatherman-type. I use the screwdriver tips and such much more often than the knife blade anymore. Just be careful around any "security" checkpoints! When I was growing up, you weren't properly dressed without a pocket knife... now you can be arrested for it?! wacko.png

I do have a nice, Scottish Skean Dhu that I bought while on a trip to Scotland years ago. Unfortunately don't carry it much any more.

Edited by Ronin38
  • Like 1

149383_1495933403249_6990142_n.jpg

162916_1495933883261_3049116_n.jpg

My two custom made Michale Morris knives

They are "beefy"...

I also carry a cold steel mini AK47 for every day box opening, wire stripping and fingernail dirt...

i like knives almost as much as i like guns. but what i look for in a knife, first and foremost, is whether or not i want a fixed blade, or a folder. im not allowed in my state to purchase automatics, and it dont bother me. what i look for is construction, handle material, blade material, and country of origin. next would be the type of grind it has. i carry these.

Spyderco Military

4" full flat grind Crucibles S30V steel with G10 scales.

103_1940.jpg

103_1941.jpg

103_1943.jpg

i paid around 165 for the knife and has proven itself everytime i use it.

and for a fixed blade, i recently started carrying this in favor of my Tops UTE.

Tops Scalpel.

3" blade 1/4" thick 1095 carbon w/ linen micarta scales.

103_1946.jpg

103_1947.jpg

103_1948.jpg

overall i look for the construction of the knife, ability to take an edge, retention of that edge, and carry options. and of course, ergonomics.

I highly recommend the SOG Aegis. SAT assisted opening and extremely light. Blade lock release is on side of handle, easy to use. Great ergonomics. Very nice knife that is reasonably priced.

http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Specialty-Knives-Tools-AE-06/dp/B001F2E440/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1346286292&sr=8-32&keywords=sog+knives

http://sogknives.com/store/AE-01.html

Edited by RedChallenger

http://www.kershaw-knives.net/Kershaw-Ken-Onion-Cyclone-KS1630.htm

sadly discontinued, I have been carrying mine for 4 - 5 years...longer then any other knife I have carried, wish I had bought five of these when I had the chance.

as to what I look for and what makes it a good fit for me; strength of the hinge and locking mechanism, weight and profile as it rides in the pocket, blade length and shape/strength (in addition to being a general purpose cutting tool, I use it for hunting purposes so I like a descent amount of "belly" to the blade for skinning out a deer), as well and how it feels in the hand. The Kershaw Cyclone fits my needs perfectly.

Great insight guys - thank you for taking the time as it certainly broadens my thinking.

I had to cut mine short.

and the other thing that no one likes hearing, it's my freaking money and I can do what I want lol

one of the other reasons in some of the various hobbies and professions I have done, I came to appreciate the difference between various alloys and how something better and initially more expensive could even save $ in the long run. When I started out as a bitch with a broom at an auto shop that got to work on cars from time to time I noticed that my shitty tools broke, all the time, why? Well they are shitty, and learning why they were weaker and why having a few things that were more $ as basics saved me time and money in the long run, more jobs I could take on more money.

Putting better brakes on my car when I raced it, I stopped better, they didn't crack, they lasted longer, etc.

At the end of the day there really is a difference between quality craftsmenship and not.

It's like with ARs, carpenter 158 tool steel is exotic, but it's the best stuff for a bolt, it's very expensive to use because you have to buy a lot of it, and companies that understand that are the ones that come out ahead.

How do you guys like Kershaw? I had one years ago (I believe it was called The Worx, or something?) and I wasn't very impressed with it. It got dull pretty quick, but to be fair, I used it daily working in a warehouse, cutting wrap and plastic pallet bindings. I will say though, I dropped it eleventy billion times on the concrete floor, and it never broke or anything.

Maybe I was just expecting it to stay sharp longer.

Kershaw used to be one of the best for the money, but the demand of keeping up with mass retailers (walmart) and expanding their market made them have some growing pains in a bad way for a while, ie china, but they are improving and going back to older ways and using better steels.

Anyone tried starting with a knife blank as an option?

If you are into that sort of thing. . . or interested in trying it, here's a website that offers "kits" for assembly for folders and fixed blades: http://www.knifekits.../vcom/index.php

About two years ago, I took a co-workers fixed blade that had a damaged handle, and "re-handled" it while also polishing-up the knife's blade. Below are a few photos that I took during the process:

post-4853-0-62782000-1346341880_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-42819700-1346341904.jpg post-4853-0-76286200-1346342052.jpg

post-4853-0-66037700-1346342092_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-42158900-1346342126_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-44211800-1346342151_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 4

THIS:

http://www.top-gear....del M21-02G.JPG

CRKT M21-02G

It's the perfect size, blade ruggedness, material, and FEEL... It is cheap enough that I don't worry about losing it.

( sorry Gary, I used to carry a Microtech Exodus... but couldn't justify a $700.00 knife in my pocket, daily! Plus in NY they are FROWNED UPON!! )

It resharpens easily, once the angles are correct, holds an edge a long time, is VERY easy to open with the flipper, and cleans up easily after a couple weeks in the pocket...

I have tried MANY other knives... some cheaper, some far more expensive. Some manual, some automatic... This one has been "The keeper" for a very long time!!!

I DID like the AKC swing-guard auto I used to carry... but the horn scales got funky after a time in the pocket... and after you spring em a few thousand times, the blades tend to sit a bit "proud"... and not quite what ya want when you reach into a pocket...

This is a 9" model, mine was the smaller one, 6.5" or 7" overall, I believe... but looked like this...

http://nicnac.net/media/9_inch_AKC_italian_swing_guard_switchblade_stiletto_knife_blonde_horn_bayo.jpg

000.gif

Below is my very latest custom procurement, a Todd Begg 'Bodega' with lightning strike carbon fiber scales. It's not now nor likely ever will be an EDC for me. . . but hey, since we're talking knives I just felt like sharing. tongue.png

post-4853-0-26613100-1346351985_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-75702400-1346352046_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-74155100-1346352072_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-97402700-1346352226_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary
  • Like 3