K-pup, GK-01 Cut and Perm sight option (could this work?)

I got my GK-01 for my K-pup and it got me thinking. I would have to heavily mod the ultimak front rail to fit my IZ-447 because of the stock rear sight. I want to cut the barrel down and perm the GK-01 to it. I had seen threads where people say it is difficult to pin the brake because the outside is aluminum. Since the top of the GK-01 is flat(ish) Could I put a piece of blank steel picatinny on it and pin all the way through that, the aluminum outside of the brake, the steel threads of the brake and into the barrel? Then I could mount my front on the brake and have the longest possible sight radius.

post-42795-0-66017500-1346251385_thumb.png

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. If you think it will work then make it so. If it doesn't come out the way you want it then just start over. "nuff said"

thanks, I guess my real question is, would it be legal if done this way?

Some people will tell you if your barrel is sub 18” at any point it needs to be removed to avoid creating a SBS. Other people will tell you as long as the gun is disassembled and you permanently affix the muzzle devise “immediately” after cutting you should be ok. Take it all with a grain of salt and at your own risk.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. If you think it will work then make it so. If it doesn't come out the way you want it then just start over. "nuff said"

thanks, I guess my real question is, would it be legal if done this way?

Some people will tell you if your barrel is sub 18” at any point it needs to be removed to avoid creating a SBS. Other people will tell you as long as the gun is disassembled and you permanently affix the muzzle devise “immediately” after cutting you should be ok. Take it all with a grain of salt and at your own risk.

I found a smith that told me he would do it for $90 if i supply the die and alignment tool including 3 threaded holes in the rail and brake. I have ordered the tools. He is waiting on his class III paperwork before he will do it.

• Like 1

I pulled me barrel, chopped, removed threads from brake, drilled through the bottom of the brake, pressed it on the barrel, drilled into the barrel, pinned, and welded over the pin until the weld filled the hole in the brake. I filed it flush with the brake. It is extremely permanent. You may want to move the gas block back while you are at it.