Hi guys,

Playing around with my Saiga 12 yesterday and I had a catastrophic jam up running birdshot. We were doing beer can skeet with el cheapo Federal bulk walmart birdshot out of a promag drum when on the last round my BHO jammed up into the gun and caught the bolt. Needless to say I was suprised to say the least. After much fidgetting I managed to move the bolt forward just enough to clear the spring and break down the gun. I was perplexed at what happened ... somehow the BHO spring had come loose and jammed the BHO inside the gun, locking the bolt, well, open. Weird.

Needless to say this is my zombie gun. I took the BHO out. In my opinion it's just another moving part that could potentially break. I don't really need it. Now onto my question ...

I have one factory 5 round mag, two 10 round SGM magazines, one promag 10 rounder (I know, I know ...) and one promag 20 round drum. So here is the problem:

The promags and the factory magazine are the only ones that I can charge on a closed bolt! I can not even get the charging handle back an inch with an SGM magazine loaded on a closed bolt. I prefer to keep a magazine in the gun but no round chambered so this is an issue. Any ideas how to profile the SGM magazines to ensure they will feed on a closed bolt? Is this somehow due to the fact the promags both have steel feed lips and the SGM magazines do not?

I just recently learned how to load a full 10 rd SGM mag into a closed bolt S12, there is a video on YT explaining how, check it out.

I believe GunFun also has a video in his sig. It's easy once you get the hang of it.

I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I can load them on the closed bolt easily enough --- with the SGM magazines I just can't charge it once it's loaded.

• Like 1

Not exactly what you are asking for, but I put a notch in my safety lever to hold the bolt open. Flip safety off and bolt slams home, stripping first round (No racking required). Pretty slick for a zombie gun, I think! Also ordered the Solar Tactical Safety tab to augment the lever. Google it.

OR, buy a Krebs safety lever to get all of the above...

• Like 1

I don't own one of these mags, but does it have room for maybe half of another shell when fully loaded? I would imagine this space needs to be there. If it is not long enough, perhaps the follower should be trimmed a bit on the bottom to allow a little more compression... Don't do this on my recommendation. Look at it and make your own decision. Just might be a possiblity.

Let us know what fixes it.

• Like 1

I don't own one of these mags, but does it have room for maybe half of another shell when fully loaded? I would imagine this space needs to be there. If it is not long enough, perhaps the follower should be trimmed a bit on the bottom to allow a little more compression... Don't do this on my recommendation. Look at it and make your own decision. Just might be a possiblity.

Let us know what fixes it.

I had the same issue with a pro mag. I removed material from the bottom of the follower so I could push the last shell a little more than half it's width down. Fixed the issue. I put in in the gun with a shell still in the chamber before I knew it was bad.Locked shit up bad when I shot it.The bolt carrier was jammed, mag was bound up. Some trimming the bottom of the follower corrected it. Works great now. Edited by rnemhrd

OK guys, I fixed the problem. Man! The mags were way too high in the back. Looking at them I shaved off probably a mm or so to get them in line with the factory and the promag. Now they feed on a closed bolt with no issue.

Sounds like your gun is a bit unusual. It would be nice to see pictures with your dust cover off and the mag inserted to show where it is hitting. Do you have any that you haven't modified yet?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...