IZ-412 conversion question

Great.... Looks like I have some more reading to do and ordering a new s-12 will be delayed. Thanks for the heads up. I'd hate to buy something for a feature that doesn't work.

I'm kind of wondering if the guns he has worked on had a magwell or if they were rock n lock. I'll ask that question in that thread.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

It was deleted by the mods as it took a negative turn.

You aren't going to put a bolt on trigger guard on that real expensive Saiga, are you? If you buy the parts from AK-Builder and send it to me, I'll rivet on the correct trigger guard for free. You just pay the shipping. :D

Lee

• Like 3

You aren't going to put a bolt on trigger guard on that real expensive Saiga, are you? If you buy the parts from AK-Builder and send it to me, I'll rivet on the correct trigger guard for free. You just pay the shipping. biggrin.png

Lee

Hard to beat an offer like that! Nothing better than free 'smithing.

Is that typical of conversion kit trigger guards?

Maybe I should have a gunsmith work on mine if I want it to look decent.

Much of the aftermarket domestic conversion parts are centered around delivering parts that the average guy with a tool kit consisting of a couple screwdrivers, a hacksaw and an Allen set from Home Depot can install in the living room.

There's nothing wrong with that approach for most folks. I prefer parts that are as close to the real deal as possible and like to use high quality stuff. To me, a triggerguard shouldn't be bolted on if you can help it. Since I have the tools and jigs, it's pretty easy for me to cut, drill and rivet the triggerguard on to the receiver.

45F9EDBD-7CBE-44AD-B7B9-E81074370A16-11576-000014A5E0AB3C25.jpg

4F8BF6FF-02B6-4019-82A1-877495EEF991-11576-0000154DCB1F913F.jpg

Also, I've gotten several PM's asking if I would extend my offer for free work to others. :) My goal here is to help someone who appears to be a new Saiga owner get off on the right foot. If anyone else needs a trigger guard riveted, just send me a message. I can do it pretty cheap, if that's all you need done.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow I didn't realize there were any replies. For some reason I never get email notifications.

That is a very generous offer and I thank you but I would be willing to pay to make it look correct. I am new to this platform and am up for suggestions.

I received my new baby and lucked out and got a 4 port gun that will cycle federal 3 dram 1 1/8 oz shot value pack ammo set on 1. I am having a problem with the bolt getting hung up on the trigger or something. I've been racking it with the dust cover off and sometimes the bolt hangs up on the LRBHO plunger thingy. Sorry don't know the technical term. I can see where it has made contact with the edge of the bolt face and the plunger thingy is showing wear marks after just 150 rounds. Sometimes it hangs up on the backside of the bolt and the front side is free. I'm guessing a reprofile and polish on the bolt will fix this. Is there supposed to be a spring in the factory BHO lever in the sporting config?

I've never had so much fun getting the shit kicked out of me. After around 20 rounds I shot from the hip a couple times because of the pain. Then I said screw it and shouldered the rest and didn't notice the pain until 5 minutes after I was done. My AK will leave a little bruise after around 300 rounds but this thing made it look like I got ran over by a truck. Soo worth it though and I plan on having a permanent bruise from now on.

You aren't going to put a bolt on trigger guard on that real expensive Saiga, are you? If you buy the parts from AK-Builder and send it to me, I'll rivet on the correct trigger guard for free. You just pay the shipping. :D

Lee

I may even have you install a Russian side folder on my SGL31 in the future if you feel comfortable with that. I was going to sell my 31 and buy a 31-94 but I've shot a couple 1 MOA groups with this thing and think it might be a freak. Not sure if I just lucked out or what. I need to have a pro shoot it to know for sure.

Side folders are my specialty. Just shoot me a PM or write me directly at leland.pate@sierraordnance(DOT)com

On your malfunction, I'd have to see photos to really know what exactly is giving you problems. Chances are though, it's something I can correct.

Lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ngzIMT4TOw

Here's a video of the internals of my Saiga. I'm guessing the BHO is functioning right but I'm wondering about the wear on it. If you look closy the plunger thing seems to rotate slightly and the catch walks over a little and doesn't reseat fully. I took a video so glare wouldn't be mistaken for bare metal.

I'm definitely interested in the side folder but just spent a bunch on the Saiga so when this is all ironed out and the conversion is done ill save up and get with you on that. I'll also contact you when I'm ready for the trigger guard to make sure I get the right parts.

Thanks

Joe

Edited by Joeroe

Lee

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29785

Is this the guard you're talking about? It's the only one I can find on their site. The guard looks like its made for a rock n lock. Not sure if it would cause problems with the extended mag release I want to install. I would rather install a trigger guard like the one in the pic you posted. Where did you buy that trigger guard and how hard would it be to install myself. I am not an expert but I always find a way to do a quality job when doing new things. I'm guessing the rear rivet hole is already there and you just need to drill 2 holes up front and rivet. I'm guessing the spacer thing under the front of the guard is only needed when running a reinforcement plate but then again my SGL's have that spacer and dont have reinforcement plates.

The side folder on the other hand is way beyond my skill level so I'll be sending you a pm for a price. I've been getting alot of OT lately and depending on the price I may be able to do it sooner than I thought.

I don't know what's going on in the video but you are listening to Puscifer and that's cool.

The bolt hold does appear to be rotating a bit and I wonder if tha't what's causing it to bind?

I just ran another 150 rounds through it and now i need to set it to 2 to run weak birdshot but it isn't skipping a beat. I guess it just need some breaking in.

Maynard is the man. Been waiting 6 years for a new Tool album and Puscifer and A perfect circle have getting me by. IMO every album Tool releases is better than the last.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I also have an IZ-412, I just discovered that there was a difference when I went to mount a new hand guard on this weekend. I had ordered it as a package deal from SAIGA-12.COM, they were the ones who informed me of this. My Saiga came stock from teh factory with a new Magwell, Last Round Bold Hold Open (LRBHO), AK front sight and foregrip, and newer style rear stock.

I got it for Christmas, and just took it out a few weeks ago for the first time to shoot. It performed flawlessly, but I figured out quickly that I need a recoil reduciton system of some type, which is why I went with the Phoenix Technologies KickLite verison, which was also packaged with the front hand guard that I now cannot use. In the package deal, it also came wih two ProMag, 10rd Mags, which with the magwell installed, will not fit into the receiver (GRRRR!!) SO...I was informed that SGM Tactical makes a magazine that functions well with this gun, but they are out of stock as well, but to also look for the SMGT1210L - "L" designator on these mags, which indicates the magwell application. Apparently, the magwell is the preferred mod for "Three Gun" competitions. I just want a higher capacity mag, since mine only came stock with two 4 round mags.

I will say that the LRBHO worked flawlessly, and noted that there is a button on the underside of the receiver that you depress (when mag is out) to keep the bold open for inspeciton and such. It really is a nice shotgun, I just want to "trick it out" a bit more! The retractable stock does give it a bit more "attitude", but a laser mounted sight on a fore Tri-Rail would finish it off nicely!

Take care, hope this info helps!

Dave.