Being extremely new to Glocks (bought a Gen 2 Model 22 at the gun show) I have a question . I noticed that you can buy 9mm barrels for them, the ad said that you use a model 17 mag, and wanted to know if you have to use gen2 mags , which are preban and HIGH! Can one use one of the other model 17 high cap mags to have some fun with a bump board. This may seem a stupid question, but I am new to Glocks, just not to everything else and wanted to spend my money on something that worked and not piss it away.

Thanks a bunch, y'all !

Any Glock 17 magazine will fit in any 9mm Glock, unless it's been changed to an ambidextrous magazine release, in which case older mags won't lock up.

You can use modern, new Glock 17 magazines without a hitch.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Any Glock 17 magazine will fit in any 9mm Glock, unless it's been changed to an ambidextrous magazine release, in which case older mags won't lock up.

+1 ....and OP, pick up some 33rd G18 mags!

Side note: There are no 9mm Glocks that are ambi-capable, aside from the Gen 4's.

Some people report having problems with ejection, when going 9mm in their .40's, since that's the only difference between the 9mm and .40 frames. But if you're only going to be using it as a 9mm at the range, then I wouldn't worry about it. Also, I might be pointing out the obvious, but make sure you get a 9mm conversion barrel, and not just a 9mm barrel. There's a difference.

Side note: There are no 9mm Glocks that are ambi-capable, aside from the Gen 4's.

Some people report having problems with ejection, when going 9mm in their .40's, since that's the only difference between the 9mm and .40 frames. But if you're only going to be using it as a 9mm at the range, then I wouldn't worry about it. Also, I might be pointing out the obvious, but make sure you get a 9mm conversion barrel, and not just a 9mm barrel. There's a difference.

It's uncommon, but it has been done by gunsmiths. Only mentioned it because a guy at the range a few months ago had a Gen 3 G19 he'd had modified with an ambidextrous magazine release.

Getting a conversion barrel is a good idea, but not necessarily required. I've successfully run a Glock 23 with a factory Glock 19 barrel and mag, without a hitch.

It's uncommon, but it has been done by gunsmiths. Only mentioned it because a guy at the range a few months ago had a Gen 3 G19 he'd had modified with an ambidextrous magazine release.

Getting a conversion barrel is a good idea, but not necessarily required. I've successfully run a Glock 23 with a factory Glock 19 barrel and mag, without a hitch.

Interesting. I thought you had to use a conversion barrel, due to dimensional differences in the locking lug between calibers.

I stand corrected.

• 5 weeks later...