So I am in a management class here at UNF and some fat chick in my research group leans over to see what I have pulled up on my computer, and its a gun classifieds website here in Florida. I was on there looking for WASRs for a buddy, and she says, "Oh my god, where you just looking at machine guns?" It kinda caught me off guard, and I simply responded, "I am a gun enthusiast, and I am looking up one for my buddy." What I should have said was, "They are not machine guns you fat POS and lay off the fast food."

The part that really chapped my ass was her tone when she said it, and she called a semi-automatic rifle a machine gun. She's been effectively brainwashed, or she is just dumb as hell.

End rant/

• Like 5

My brother (4years older then me) said that he thought any AK was illegal because they are all full auto only.

I was in shock for a moment, then I had to show him how the FCG worked in my saiga.

You think you know a person...

yeah my first post was a bit extreme. fuck it. i cant take dumbed down people that are too narrow minded to think for themselves on issues as important as guns. and for the OP, i feel you handled it well. and im all for informing someone of things they have no clue about, so long as they are willing to correct their bias opinion and let it sink in. somehow, i doubt this bag-o-donuts would have let anything other than food enter her brain.

At which point she would file a sexual harassment complaint, he would be booted out of classes and she would feel justified in getting a "gun nut" kicked out of the college....yeah, maybe not... when people demonstrate how ignorant they are in regards to firearms, offending them certainly isn't the way to instruct them in the facts regarding such. Maybe a brief explanation about "machine guns" and "semi-auto rifles" and invite her to go shooting sometime. And I hear that fat chicks are... well, never mind that...

• Like 2

My response would have been... " It's a legal auto loading rifle. Do you want to go shoot one someday?"

Not only would it educate a poor brainwashed soul, it might help her with the weight problem.

If they got snotty after the kind gesture, I'd politely tell them to go fuck off!

• Like 1

I attempted to do this with a girl that was at my soon to be brother in-laws house. When the mention of AK's came out I got the "OMG those are evil, people die all the time from those". I went through the facts about them with her, offered for her to come out with us all one time and shoot. By the end she still wasnt willing to go shoot one but had come over to the 2A side a little more than at the start. Kinda felt like a victory

Edited by VR6Shooter
  • Like 1

I've had several LE and probably four or five military guys say something like, "How can you have that? -- AKS are illegal"

for 19 years while I was in the Army I had no idea there was such a thing as a gun show let alone you could buy AKs, SKS, and other surplus rifles. just because someone is in the military does not mean they know everything going on in the civilian world, because we didn't give 2 shits what happens outside the front gates. we all socialized among ourself because we we talked the lingo and all share common military backgrounds etc..... very, very few soldiers that I personally knew even had civilian friends, all civilians to us were just acquaintances , to say hi to, ie. neighbors etc.., as we had zero commonality with them to be friends.

the guys that did own guns, it was all hunting rifles, I have never meet a fellow soldier that owned a AR, or any other so called semi auto "AW". fact is, we didn't even care about any firearm, except the one we were issued.

what I'm getting at is this, back in 94 a friend of mine was PCS'ing (transfering) from Germany to Ft. Carson, and asked if he could stay with me at my apt. until he got on-post quarters and bring his family in, so I said yes. one sat. he was looking at the paper and said "there is a gun show, want to go?" to which I replied, "what's a gun show?". so we went, imagine my surprise when I saw a Russian SKS, I honestly thought it wasn't a real soviet rifle, because I couldn't believe that they could even bring something like that in the country. I also couldn't believe there was a AK for sale as well. it looked way different then then ones I was use to seeing, so I just had to buy one, spent a whole 180 bucks on a MAADI ARM (which BTW, I still have, dressed in soviet furniture) and bought some ammo.

so I take this to the POW (privately owned weapons) range that afternoon, and I can't get this thing to fire full auto no matter what I did, I was kinds pissed because this thing I just bought was broken. so, I went the next day back to the show with the MAADI went up to the dealer I bought it from and said, "this thing is broke, I want one that works". he asked, "what's wrong with it?". I said, "it only fires semi, not full auto".

yeah you guys may laugh at that, but that just shows you just because someone is in the military doesn't mean they know all this stuff about civilian ownership of guns, because frankly we never give it any thought, it doesn't come up in our stuff we need to know to do our jobs.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

The OT sounds similar to what I went through one day in my Senior year of High School.

My English teacher was a history buff, and since I had told her my Dad was a big time Third Reich memorabilia collector in the 70s, and that, at one point in that time period, he had a full Waffen SS uniform that he wore for a photo, she wanted to see the picture.

I told my Dad about her interest, and he let me take the picture to school to show my teacher.

Well, just before I could show her, I accidentally exposed the photo to some of the black students, which prompted one of the females to exclaim loudly, "Your Daddy was a Nazi!?", while recoiling away from me.

I had to put in damage control by explaining to her that my Dad is a historian and an avid collector of such things.

It worked, but I didn't like the reaction I got. Not like I should have really expected much different.

Edited by Photoguy

I've had several LE and probably four or five military guys say something like, "How can you have that? -- AKS are illegal"

for 19 years while I was in the Army I had no idea there was such a thing as a gun show let alone you could buy AKs, SKS, and other surplus rifles. just because someone is in the military does not mean they know everything going on in the civilian world, because we didn't give 2 shits what happens outside the front gates. we all socialized among ourself because we we talked the lingo and all share common military backgrounds etc..... very, very few soldiers that I personally knew even had civilian friends, all civilians to us were just acquaintances , to say hi to, ie. neighbors etc.., as we had zero commonality with them to be friends.

the guys that did own guns, it was all hunting rifles, I have never meet a fellow soldier that owned a AR, or any other so called semi auto "AW". fact is, we didn't even care about any firearm, except the one we were issued.

what I'm getting at is this, back in 94 a friend of mine was PCS'ing (transfering) from Germany to Ft. Carson, and asked if he could stay with me at my apt. until he got on-post quarters and bring his family in, so I said yes. one sat. he was looking at the paper and said "there is a gun show, want to go?" to which I replied, "what's a gun show?". so we went, imagine my surprise when I saw a Russian SKS, I honestly thought it wasn't a real soviet rifle, because I couldn't believe that they could even bring something like that in the country. I also couldn't believe there was a AK for sale as well. it looked way different then then ones I was use to seeing, so I just had to buy one, spent a whole 180 bucks on a MAADI ARM (which BTW, I still have, dressed in soviet furniture) and bought some ammo.

so I take this to the POW (privately owned weapons) range that afternoon, and I can't get this thing to fire full auto no matter what I did, I was kinds pissed because this thing I just bought was broken. so, I went the next day back to the show with the MAADI went up to the dealer I bought it from and said, "this thing is broke, I want one that works". he asked, "what's wrong with it?". I said, "it only fires semi, not full auto".

yeah you guys may laugh at that, but that just shows you just because someone is in the military doesn't mean they know all this stuff about civilian ownership of guns, because frankly we never give it any thought, it doesn't come up in our stuff we need to know to do our jobs.

Funny story, and I like that you admit it.

Photoguy-- I am all for collecting historical stuff, but that one is kinda asking for it, unless you bring a picture of him in Israeli fatigues along with it.

I was scolded at a well known shooting range in Houston once because I took out a standard Bulgarian AKM to shoot. I was informed I would have to remove the 30 round mag and I could only use a 5 rounder. I also had to load each round manually. I was later told it would just be easier if I just used some sort of hunting rifle. The thing that really pissed me off was one of the employees started to place his paws all over my guns checking them out. I have never returned.

Edited by yakdung

When I got out of Service in the mid-80s, I didn't know diddly about civilian gunownership. That changed quick. However the only Military rifles we had were WWII Japanese bolt rifles and carbines(in Arizona they we're easy to find then). My dad was a bit dumbfounded when I wanted to buy an AK or Saiga. He just couldn't figure out why. He's still not to into as he does'nt get why anyone needs more than a hunting rifle. His loss.

Ignorance is fine, it's simply not knowing and can be changed. Stupidity, however, is not knowing and chooseing not to learn or worse yet, knowing and choosing not to act accordingly. Unfortunately, Stupidity is rampant in our society and on ALL sides politically, etc. Educate were you can, endure what you have to and fuck the stupid shits.

Yeah, the way things seem to be these days, you're lucky you weren't arrested and banned from the school on the spot! Whew!

So... did you find any good ads? wink.png

I know, I'm surprised the 250lb morbidly obese campus police didn't bust in the room and haul my ass out of there!

Found a WASR for 600, but I told my buddy to offer 500. I think he is going to save up some more money though, and a higher end AK.

The OT sounds similar to what I went through one day in my Senior year of High School.

My English teacher was a history buff, and since I had told her my Dad was a big time Third Reich memorabilia collector in the 70s, and that, at one point in that time period, he had a full Waffen SS uniform that he wore for a photo, she wanted to see the picture.

I told my Dad about her interest, and he let me take the picture to school to show my teacher.

Well, just before I could show her, I accidentally exposed the photo to some of the black students, which prompted one of the females to exclaim loudly, "Your Daddy was a Nazi!?", while recoiling away from me.

I had to put in damage control by explaining to her that my Dad is a historian and an avid collector of such things.

It worked, but I didn't like the reaction I got. Not like I should have really expected much different.

My great uncle was in Germany during WW2. He brought back a full SS uniform, and did reenactments with it. I got the same line from a few black kids my Junior year. My reply: "No, but he was responsible for killing a few."