Hello, I'm Solhays85, I'm new to this site and new to the AK platform.

Ok, so I just got a new to me WASR last week and during the time of shooting about 220 rounds, the muzzle nut came off once or twice. So I ordered a Midwest flash hider with 14-1 left hand. Well, come to find out the hider will not thread, it's too large and just slides on and off. I'm almost wondering by looking at the threads, someone tapped the threads. They also seem to be pretty long, the threads go halfway into the hider. Any input would be awesome and I thank anyone taking a look.

Here is a video

th_2012-08-30_12-08-26_765.jpg

Here is a picture of the threads.

2012-08-30_12-09-21_547.jpg

The original is just a barrel nut.(well that's what it came with, I bought it used) It slides around, but sometimes I can get it to hold to the very bottom threads.

2012-08-30_22-11-42_713.jpg

2012-08-30_22-13-20_443.jpg

Post a pic of the original muzzle attachment.

You might be able to use a crush washer and red Locktite to secure it to the threads.

I was thinking of using teflon tape. I don't think there is enough to grab. It goes on and off without any friction.

haha, I flipped it right after I took the picture. But now that makes even more sense. The muzzle nut and sight post both have die grinder marks. Hmmm. So would it be a horrible idea to just cut some threads off, then spot weld the break to either the barrel or the sight post?

Bottom side of the muzzle nut and sight post. Some idiot cut the nut and post. Now I kind of few dumb for not catching that. But oh well I guess. It shoots well and 220 rounds, hot as hell, it never had a failure.

2012-08-30_22-27-37_955.jpg

Alright, I think that's the plan. Thank you very much for re-affirming what I was thinking. I love forums, XDtalk is like my second home and enjoy helping and getting good help. I thank you guys for helping out. Hopefully I will learn a ton here!

Edited by solhays85

It's possible that it was threaded for 1/2"-28 or 1/2"-36. If the threads are just about 1/2" across, the chances are even better. The last thing I'd check would be the pitch of the threads. Now, there are tools for this kind of thing, but you could get a good idea of it by measuring along the length of the threads and counting the number of threads in 1/4". If it's 7, then you have 28 tpi; if it's 9, then you have 36. There are plenty of options for flash hiders in both of those varieties (with the vast majority of the 1/2"-28 variety), but be sure the device is caliber-specific if it acts as a brake or compensator.

• Like 1

Dr echoed my exact thoughts while reading your post. If it is threaded for 1/2 x 28, ( standard AR) it will be slightly smaller than 14x1. The big question is are the threads going to the left or the right? I can't tell from the picture. If it is 1/2x28 it will be right hand threaded. You may want to take it to a local gun shop and try a couple of muzzle devices to see if it might be the muzzle device you purchased not being to spec as well.

If one off an AR fit why not use an AR muzzle device then?

Because from what I can see, most AR breaks only fit a 5.56 and not a 7.62 through it. I have been looking for one that would be large enough for a 7.62 to pass through. I am waiting reply from Troy about one of their breaks. If not, I will probably just weld this one on. It looks good, fits snug enough that when welded on, nothing bad will happen.

Or I will just take an AR device I like over to a drill press and make it big enough. lol

Thanks MT! Well I revisited Troy's site. They have on for 7.62 on M16/AR15/M4 threads. So I'm going to buy it. Thank you all for the help! You guys rock. I'm going to post this link in case anyone else is looking for the same thing!

http://troyind.com/%20/muzzle-devices/troy-medieval-flash-suppressor-7-62mm

Edited by solhays85