Tromix reduce recoil spring

if thats the case the spring is worthless because you have to disassemble the whole gun to swap springs...i can get a gas booster bushing and swap that any time i want

if thats the case the spring is worthless because you have to disassemble the whole gun to swap springs...i can get a gas booster bushing and swap that any time i want

• 2 weeks later...

the spring would be worth it if you could leave it in for all loads but you could not switch from light to heavy loads in the field. to me a shot gun is made to shoot heavy loads but its nice to go out and unload 100 rounds and only drop $25. Tony maybe you can bring some light on this subject. does the tromix light recoil spring need to be removed when cycling heavy loads?

I really don't see the big deal, to be honest.

Keep the factory spring when you're hunting, then do the 5 minute disassemble and put the light spring for when you go to the range for some practice/skeet shooting

I mean it would be nice to be able to have the perfect setup that shoots EVERY type of ammo, but as of now, if youre gun doesnt cycle light loads after breaking it in, then switching out the spring and adding a bushing is the best bet for cheap range plinking

If you do find an answer, let me know. I still have to break my 1919 in with heavy hunting loads

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been running the reduced power recoil spring with a gas booster bushing.

Low power target shells.

Been working good for me. Have not noticed any unusual wear or damage to the gun.

Changing the spring is a little inconvenient.

If your gun runs the loads you prefer without it than no need to run it.

If not the spring has worked well for me.

I'll choose the inconvenience of the spring over the inconvenience of failure to feed or eject.

As far as high brass heavy loads with reduced power spring. I think someone should run it for an extended time.

Report back on gun wear and if any damage occurs. Who knows may work fine.

I'm not willing to be the crash test dummy. If I broke my gun I would cry. When I cry I drink.

When I drink I pee my pants. It just gets worse from there. Sorry.

Wouldn't it allow more wear on the gun if you're not using the correct spring?

I have the spring and the bushing, but was not sure where to install the bushing. I put it on top of that little spring, should it go under? Haven't shot it yet with the new stuff.

The truth is, we don't know. I don't have any plans to step and buy $25,000 worth of high brass ammo to test it, for a part that we make $5 bucks on.

The spring is only 10% lighter than the stock one, so I kinda doubt the gun would be just fine with the stock spring and get beat to hell with the light spring.....but I have been wrong before.

There has been no reported damage to the guns to date, and our limited testing has not shown any problems......but sure as shit, if I tell someone to run it with high brass, they will use their gun as a rental at a public range and tear it up. So my "official" response is not to run it with high powered ammo.

Tony

I assure you, there is more than 10% variation in the stock springs themselves.

we compared 50 springs from a consecutive # batch of guns the OAL varied over 5/8 of an inch.

I would bet real money Tony's springs are vastly more consistent, and would fall between the extremes found in the stock springs.

That said...I would take his advise!

Jim

I tried the gas bushing... even that doesnt help sometimes. Its worth it to dissassemble it to replace the spring if you can shoot cheap walmart ammo a little easier

How many rounds are through it? Mine took a little extra (150- 200 rounds) to break in, even with the bushing. Runs like a champ now...

I tried the gas bushing... even that doesnt help sometimes. Its worth it to dissassemble it to replace the spring if you can shoot cheap walmart ammo a little easier

How many rounds are through it? Mine took a little extra (150- 200 rounds) to break in, even with the bushing. Runs like a champ now...

We found something interesting a few days ago,

The NOT CYCLING problem follows the BARREL , testing a number of guns , had one that JUST WOULDN'T RUN ,

swapped JUST the barrel with one that runs 100% , problem went away,

put the "bad" barrel in the gun that used to run 100%

Problems followed the barrel.

inconsistencies in the gas ports maybe??????

we compared 50 springs from a consecutive # batch of guns the OAL varied over 5/8 of an inch.

I would bet real money Tony's springs are vastly more consistent, and would fall between the extremes found in the stock springs.

Jim

It would be nice to put some springs on the valve spring tester and see what comes up and how different the spring rates are.

We found something interesting a few days ago,

The NOT CYCLING problem follows the BARREL , testing a number of guns , had one that JUST WOULDN'T RUN ,

swapped JUST the barrel with one that runs 100% , problem went away,

put the "bad" barrel in the gun that used to run 100%

Problems followed the barrel.

Thats an issue that has been with the gun from the begining of its importation.

I dont think all of the MKA parts have ever been manufactured under one roof.

About two years ago I found three reasons for this problem to be present.

Those things, we check on every gun we build.

Jim

inconsistencies in the gas ports maybe??????

Jim

It would be nice to put some springs on the valve spring tester and see what comes up and how different the spring rates are.

We did that in the design process to make the springs we manufacture.

Jim