Dang it, New Saiga gas ports not all opened...

You would have thought that the Russians could at least drilled the gas ports in the right place????.... Having had 2 Saiga shotguns, I would have thought that by now the Factory could have at LEAST figured out were to drill the gas ports????... Just bought a "2012" manufactured NIB Saiga 12 today. (I was going to build this for competition).... DAMMIT!... only the center port is completely open, MAYBE the left side is not too bad BUT the right side is at least partially blocked (as you view it looking down the barrel).... I remmember getting chokes with the others... none in the box?. I've built a few kit AK's and 2 Saiga shotguns. The shotguns always needed the gas ports opened.....but, I'da thought MAYBE?, things were improved as the PRICE sure went up from $189 @ CDNN years ago...I've seen a post here that you could send the weapon? back to the importer for the ports to be drilled out??? any information ??? ... (My dime or their's for shipping???) I could do this myself and might ... BUT the SLOPPYNESS of the build versis the price is way wrong...

That said, my Firebird Akdal cost a LOT more and is dissapointing in some ways....

BUT the Mossberg JM runs like a clock... Mike

Edited by mikeAZ

If you've already had two seems like you would have figured out by now that's how they come??tongue.png

Honestly you shouldnt have expected anything else. A properly built gun is a bonus, a shitty one is standard.

Never heard of em coming with chokes either.

No idea on who to send it too. Used to be RAA and the work was done by Cadiz but thats no longer the case.

Edited by big-J
  • Like 2

Whole new ballgame!!, .....Pressed, the gas port block off this morning.... It's a 4 port barrel... One port (front ) was completely blocked. All 4 ports appear to be equally spaced/circular/not miss drilled.. I'm proceding with the "D" port mod .... just a little concerned about how far forward I can move the "D" cut..... already it looks like I'll have to go forward more than the posted pics I can find here??? Since it's blocked, maybe I should just do the 3 port mod and leave the front port blocked? I'm sure the Factory had a good reason for using 4 ports, too bad it didn't happen in this case. Anyone run into this before???....No drilling till I get some responses. Since the block has to be in the proper place for the pins to re-alighn, I don't see anyother choise than making the "D" longer toward the front???? to expose the "lost" 4th. port. Not sending off... DIYS project. Mike

Edited by mikeAZ

Don't D Port it. You change the design of the gas block and could create additional problems. Enlarge the size of the gas port in the block but DO NOT go past the sealing lip. Then from the bottom side of that hole (the side that would sit on the barrel) add additional taper to the port. You will in effect be opening the gas block completely and not eliminating the only portion that helps keep the threads on the plug clean. There are plenty of threads that cover this subject.

• Like 1

Oops.....got an extra word in there and it changed the whole meaning.......remove the word "not" from the second to last sentence. "you will in effect be opening the gas block completely and eliminating the only portion that helps keep the threads on the plug clean.

Too late... It's done ("D" port / ports opened), Now, at least I can get a "pick" into the ports for cleaning purposes. If there are a lot of other "posts" on this subject.... I didn't find them????..I guess I'll just have to clean more often. I doubt that I would have been able to "angle-port"the front hole as it was completly covered I didn't even know there was a 4th port?.... Blundering on?....

Edited by mikeAZ
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Took her out yesterday (never fired). I've done all the usual mods. With the plug on 5 and as low as 2 it ran everything I shot with no hiccups at all..... Estate brand, 1oz. x #7.5 x 1200 fps, 1 1/8 x 7.5 x 1180 fps, misc. slugs. SGM 10 and 12 rd. mags fully loaded. .... I'd put the light load kit in, works fine.... Big difference from 5 to 2 on how far the brass was ejected. I slightly opened the sides of the mag well, bolt is lightly polished, no problem loading the 12 round mag. (We will see in competition). I think a limbsaver recoil pad is probably next. I put a HI Vis front sight on (was not an easy task, wouldn't do it again). I need some time on the patterning board to see exactly what the Polychoke is giving me.... I've done 3 other Saigas, a 12, a 20 and a 7.62. Hope I'm smart enough to keep this one ... Mike

SHE's a hooper!!

Ya, that was the 1st time out with this NIB gun..... I'll be trying lot's of stuff to see whats what...I was impressed, not a malfunction. Hulls were flung about 2'/3' on #2 and 5'/6' when on #5.. didn't even try #6 or #1..

1st. PolyChoke I owned, if it does all it's supposed to do?, will even be cheaper than individual chokes. It will be a great asset for the "gun games".... Got a spare hammer, going to see if I can take some of the "drag" out without affecting the operation. Left side cocking handle & LimbSaver butt pad and I'm ready...