Gas Piston Ring Removal (Tips ?)

Finally have some time to install the 922r compliant parts I've had sitting for weeks and was looking for any tips on removing and reinstalling the "Piston Ring" from the OEM gas piston to the Tromix gas piston. My inclination is to heat it and use some snap ring pliers.

Any suggestions from those who have performed this swap ?

Thanks in advance...

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you both for the guidance, I was pleasantly surprised that it was a simple procedure. I was expecting a battle and only got an argument. I also did a trigger job before reassembling the gun and boy oh boy, what a difference.

MKA1919   M&P 9c

FoxHound; maybe that was the difference, I started the job after drinking 6 beers and it went like clockwork. Thanks for the kudos on the gun BTW.

Kirch76; yes I made that mag in my shop at home, had a 3" that I wasn't using so I bastardized it for the lower portion, welded it to a 2 3/4" mag and voila... The tough part was getting inside to smooth the joint... It only carries 9 shells since I had to cut the 3" at a point that followed the curvature of the lower portion of the 2 3/4" mag. I'll post a closeup pic of it when I get a chance.

FoxHound; maybe that was the difference, I started the job after drinking 6 beers and it went like clockwork. Thanks for the kudos on the gun BTW.

Kirch76; yes I made that mag in my shop at home, had a 3" that I wasn't using so I bastardized it for the lower portion, welded it to a 2 3/4" mag and voila... The tough part was getting inside to smooth the joint... It only carries 9 shells since I had to cut the 3" at a point that followed the curvature of the lower portion of the 2 3/4" mag. I'll post a closeup pic of it when I get a chance.

Haha yeah, I had a lot more patience when I was lubricated with some alcohol. It just took patience and voila

And wow, I didn't even think about bastardizing a mag and joining them together. I might just do that to my extremely damaged mag (its feed lips are all sorts of messed up)... hmmmmmmm

How well does that mag run?

Edited by FoxHound

over on enos someone said use a magpul mag bottom and then adapt

wtf? no elaboration on that...

I built a few adapters to use a surefire saiga mag, and an MKA mag to produce a 15rnd mag.

it worked pretty well, but the cost of components still made it unreasonable.

I have seen duct tape to billit to do that very thing, with limited success, or very good success.

Its not very hard to do, but having to buy an MKA mag, manufacturing the adapter, buy the surefire mag, and a new mag spring.....it gets too costly.

The new 10 rnd mag will come about, and this will become a moot point.

And I am sure some parts for the new mag will also come out.

Jim

over on enos someone said use a magpul mag bottom and then adapt

wtf? no elaboration on that...

I built a few adapters to use a surefire saiga mag, and an MKA mag to produce a 15rnd mag.

it worked pretty well, but the cost of components still made it unreasonable.

I have seen duct tape to billit to do that very thing, with limited success, or very good success.

Its not very hard to do, but having to buy an MKA mag, manufacturing the adapter, buy the surefire mag, and a new mag spring.....it gets too costly.

The new 10 rnd mag will come about, and this will become a moot point.

And I am sure some parts for the new mag will also come out.

Jim

Ok I was looking at the components that made most logical sense, and was hoping it wasn't as you just described.

Thanks for the clarification Jim