Does the AK or VEPR do well in rain or will it start rusting immediately? I was looking at buying a Remington XCR (treated stainless steel), but just found out that there are a bunch of VEPRs out for sale around my area. I was wondering how they do in harsh/wet environments.... From what I've read, they have some sort of anti-corrosive finish. How easy is it to scratch and repair? Also, how does the wood stock hold up on the veprs?

Edited by os2firefox

Well, I know it sounds cliche, but if you maintain your rifle properly, rust should not be an issue. Rust, in and of itself, will not stop an AK platform rifle from functioning. If you were to scratch the finish of most any rifle, and put it away wet, there would be visible corrosion on it in a somewhat short period of time.

The longevity of any rifle depends greatly on the care and maintanance of it's owner. A well maintained rifle can last many lifetimes....And rust knows no bounderies!!

edit; if you will be out in wet weather, go for the stainless rifle, if the price is right.

Edited by RobRez

The steel used in Vepr and saiga rifles is slightly rust resistant anyway.

Just remember that most "stainless steel" will show corrosion or rust if given the correct conditions, which is why most stainless is coated with a chrome or other coating for boat fittings and other saltwater use. Unless your planning to use the rifle for constant ocean use you'll be fine with an AK.

PS, most gun oils evaporate or wipe off fairly quickly.. I've used some industrial wax coatings that seemed to work much better then oil on items that we handle a lot.

Frog lube is the stuff :)

Never had any issue in the rain with my AK. My AR does fine in a downpour, did it yesterday, my MKA-1919 did fine as well. Made sure to dry out the shotty as the barrels on the outside with that coating seem to get a nice rust to them, not that it'd worry me, but it would bug me and I would feel like a lazy person for not taking proper care of my firearms. I haven't tried a twinkie, but we did shove a few fries in the battery and slamed it, it worked *shrugs*

if im going to be shooting in the rain, i run mine with tuff glide. works well but aint cheap. i use it mostly for my blades, but it works great on rifles too. and stainless steel will rust under the right conditions, but less prone than non stainless.

if you do your part, it will do its part.

Stainless steel will corrode if it's exposed to chlorides, such as bleach, or certain acids. It will rust if exposed to rust from carbon steel. Now it's level of resistance to corrosion depends on the grade of stainless. 304 will rust like a son of a bitch in a marine environment. 316L will rust only if exposed to carbon rust. Now that seems easy to avoid till you realize that carbon grinding dust today is rust spots tomorrow. You have to anesthetize the process using a hydrofluric acid, a.k.a picking paste.

• Like 1