Saiga S12 Oversized Gas Block/Tube? Unable to Rail!

I have a Saiga12 (Legion Import) S12 that I am unable to get a Tri or quad rail forfend for due to size and shape of gas block tube. It has a 2 position gas dial in front, an ak style flip rear sight, and a hinged rear cover with permanent rail attached. Conversion completed p/t purchase. I have very limited grip in my hands due to a spinal cord injury after breaking my neck in 2010, and have to have a forward pistol type grip to be able to hold the gun, which I presently only have a rear pistol grip. I wanted the Chaos rail with HK type sights, but unfortunately none will fit, per Cameron from Chaos. Greg from Carolina Shooting said their rails (all) will not fit. I do not want to permanently alter the gun (nor do I have the ability/skill) and am limited to what I own since I am in CA. Cameron (Chaos)is under the impression that my Saiga is Military and not a "regular" Saiga 12, not sure why. I have called and emailed Legion with no reply! Multiple attempts. Place of purchase as confused as I of the distinct variation from other S12's. Exhaustive online and gun show search has come up empty. Can you please help? Evan

Like this

http://www.riflegear.com/popup.aspx?src=/images/product/large/1721_1_.jpg

You do not have the typical Saiga-12 that everyone has conversion or modification parts for. Maybe you could sell this one and buy the S-12 model you want.

For more info on what type of S-12 you have, post up the numbers stamped into your gun or google them yourself.

GL

Edited by Bridis

That's one of the problems with the new fangled imports. None of the aftermarket suppliers have stuff to fit those specific guns. I doubt anyone is going to rush into that arena either, since the import numbers are low. I learned my lesson on the MKA 1919 and don't plan to repeat it again.

Tony

• Like 1

You do not have the typical Saiga-12 that everyone has conversion or modification parts for. Maybe you could sell this one and buy the S-12 model you want.

For more info on what type of S-12 you have, post up the numbers stamped into your gun or google them yourself.

GL

Other than the SN, Saiga-12, CANTA-12, made in russia by IZHMASH, 12/76 & 18,3. The rest is in symbols and import marks.

Ie: letter P inside of a oblong large C with a bold T to its immediate right. Just underneath is an M then an X that looks stamped over a V or an arrow, followed by 3. (MX3). Directly next to that is a large circle with two sideways M's with an arrow pointing up with two fins.

No clue what this all means. If I end up loving these fine toys as you all, I soon will.

rec_shooter I'm pretty sure I could get you the Saiga you are looking for if you were so inclined to give me your shotgun in exchange. wink.png

If you can't find a way to put a FG on it someone should take it off your hands, that's a slick looking shotgun IMO.

I would love another Saiga, but don't see myself parting with this one.

rec_shooter I'm pretty sure I could custom fit a quad rail made for an AK rifle if you were so inclined to give me the dimensions I would need.

I am interested, don't even know where to start!

• You might check out saigatechusa. They have some similiar looking weapons on the websight. It could be a fix as simple as changing out the front gas block for one that has a short rail section as part of it.

Ahh yes that's right.... Saigatecusa....

Hey aren't they like a VENDOR here or something? I'm pretty sure I heard that name before somewhere..... like a LOT.....

Saigatechusa had a gas " restore" where you had a small under barrel rail post conversion. Way too far forward for me. My particular situation requires a the minimum an under railed hand guard. It seems I am mutted between the 30/40 style with the larger boxier block for the AK style flip sights. I just don't have a mag well and can use the regular S12 mags. I thought I was getting a gun fully compatible with current aftermarket parts. The "as long as you don't get the maxwell version your good to go" is apparently a very costly mislead.

I'm not sure how your front hg retainer is attached, but if it is removable, this should fit

http://bonesteelarms...3-cnc-23983.htm

If you wanted to try it out and it didn't work I'd gladly accept a return.

That will not fit with gas tube upper retaining bracket on this model.

oh yeah, that!

I'd bet that ak specific rails should fit, as long as they will clear the larger barrel. But it seems that no saiga 12 rails will.

I'm not sure how your front hg retainer is attached, but if it is removable, this should fit

http://bonesteelarms...3-cnc-23983.htm

If you wanted to try it out and it didn't work I'd gladly accept a return.

That will not fit with gas tube upper retaining bracket on this model.

Thanks for the input and suggestions. I have to come up with something. Are these gas systems that new or unusual that there are no aftermarket accessories (readily available anyway) for it? It seems custom is my only option, aside from parking this gun in the back of my safe. I wish it was as easy as altering an AK aftermarket hand guard or rail system to accommodate the barrel size so as to allow a fore grip. If I had the means and ability, I'd give it a try.

Thats what i thought, but The AK/Galil style hand guard is not sturdy enough for the stress of mounting and using a vertical fore grip. Even with support. Since there is nothing else that I have found readily available aftermarket, I am looking for other feasible alternatives.

Just add a 3 or 4" section of rail to your current handguard. It should be as simple as lining it up, marking the holes and drilling them, using a nut or threaded plate on the underside with loctite.

The place where I bought this gun is "researching options". I called them to notify them that their sales person mis informed and assured me that this gun would accept all aftermarket S12 parts including the quad rails etc. they said they thought it would too, but would educate their people based on what they find from their "research". Let's hope this bears some fruit. Legion does not answer calls, nor do they reply to the copious emails. Nice!!

• 1 month later...