I am looking at lights/lanterns for my building were i shoot. I was looking into the hand crank type of lanterns or flashlights. I do not want anything that has to have a power source ie batteries or fuel or mantels, too much upkeep. I use this place for my shooting and when I get out there usually before dawn or stay after dark I would like some lights.

Does anyone have the crank type of lantern? Is there enough light for basic illumination for a 24x36 shed?

I stopped by a gander mtn today and looked at their lights and did not see anything of this type...have yet to hit wally world or K marts.

I am cheap and figure this will either get shot or broke/stolen before too long.

any input will be appreciated

thanks

I don't think there is anything out there that you are going to get enough light out of. And even if you could, you would spend more time feverishly cranking than shooting. If you really want to avoid extra batteries, fuel, etc. maybe rig something up to run off your car battery if you park close enough. Myself, I would use a portable generator.

Go to Lowes or Home depot and get a couple of solar yard lights, put them out in the sun while your shooting and then hang them up in the shed when you need light. Another option would be to get a 12VDC LED string light and a cigarette lighter adapter. Make a light string that can be powered from your vehicle. Or go with glow sticks.

I got a shake flashlight for Christmas one year and that thing is bad-ass for when you get a flat tire and you just need enough light to change the tire and get out of dodge. As far as something that needs more lighting and longer duration, I would probably look at something else. But, for emergencies, this flashlight is great because I don't know how many times that batteries always dead, only when you need it the most.

The crank lights are cool in a pinch but not ideal for a shooting range. It would be good training for low light conditions.

Coleman makes a crank type camp lantern that is about 40 bucks. It's made in China so you might as well buy a 5 pack of them off ebay for the same price minus the Coleman label. They put out a little bit of light but nothing like a real lantern.

If you only needed a little bit of light and wanted low maintenance, Cyalume makes different size lights that can be stored for a long time. Only problem with that is the one time use.

• Like 1

if you did decide to go solar harbor freight sells a few different options for shed lights that are fairly cheap and i think most of them will need to be bolted down so if you use the right hardware it would be harder to steal. with the way led flash lights are now though i think your best option for cheap and works reliably is a good hand held led flashlight from someplace like mag light, stream light, etc.