Molot Titanium Muzzle brake GK-01

Very cool! Thanks for posting! How much weight was saved by switching to titanium?

Titanium is heavier then Aluminium :(, but it is more durable ;) I have not weighed them yet to compare.

D'oh!

You're right. It is 45% lighter than steel and 60% heavier than aluminum.

Very nice write up. I just wish I could get one that was already cut with the internal dimensions of a tight modified choke. Something between modified and full but closer to the modified side. Anybody know of any muzzle brake that has this?

Very cool! Thanks for posting! How much weight was saved by switching to titanium?

Titanium is heavier then Aluminium sad.png, but it is more durable wink.png I have not weighed them yet to compare.

D'oh!

You're right. It is 45% lighter than steel and 60% heavier than aluminum.

However, Ti being stronger, it seems like they would have altered the way it is machined to take advantage of that strength. I'd like to get one and put it on a diet just to see how light I can get it and it not fail under reasonably normal use.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have two aluminum GK-01s and since seeing this thread some time ago I've wondered what the real advantage of Titanium is in this case. It's more durable yes but is durability an issue with the aluminum piece? And cost-wise, how much more expensive is the Ti version? No small amount I'm betting.

I've seen Ti used in many performance car parts that are under tremendous stress and the advantage is clear. I'm not seeing it in this case. What am I missing?

Ti version was ordered more then two years ago when Al version wasn't exist and muzzle brake was made from steel. I got Ti that used in Russian aviation and sent it to Molot and after more then two years I got Ti version by the price more then twice as much as Al GK-01. Anyway, I like them and will use as well as Al GK-01.

• Like 1

Copyright happens automatically any time you create written or recorded works. Registering a copyright just makes it easier to enforce.

This part reminds me of Ti paintball gun barrels. No one has ever worn out an aluminum one, and Ti costs and weighs more. Now make a Ti choke or barrel, and you have something worthwhile.

Copyright happens automatically any time you create written or recorded works. Registering a copyright just makes it easier to enforce.

This part reminds me of Ti paintball gun barrels. No one has ever worn out an aluminum one, and Ti costs and weighs more. Now make a Ti choke or barrel, and you have something worthwhile.

bbl, gas block, bolt carrier group and trunnions...that would be aweseome, the million dollar saiga lol

• 2 months later...

I've just weighed Original Molot GK-01 MBC in the supermarket;)

Molot Titanium GK-01 - 11.15 Oz (316 g)

Molot Aluminum GK-01 (forged Aluminum D16T) - 7.41 Oz (210 g)

+

Steel "Guns Tuning Laboratories" PSH-2 MBC - 10.58 Oz (300 g)

Edited by PapaZorro
  • Like 1