1919 Cycling Issues

I bulk bought 250 shells of "Low recoil" Royal buckshot 1200fps

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-8491

and 250 Centurion #8 1400fps

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-8180

Had about a 65% success rate with the buckshot and about 15% with the centurion (I had 1 Tromix gas bushing installed when I shot the centurion ammo)

I shot approx 75 shells of 00buck and 100 centurion and had little improvement in cycling success

a lot of failure to eject, failure to extract from magazine, and several stovepipes

Very disappointed.

How did the rest of you get so lucky to get well cycling 1919s?

Never shot anything but cheap walmart bulk , some down to 1 oz shot. runs 98% , shot about 20 slugs ran 100%

3 MKA's

Just shot a 3 gun match this weekend , my MKA , ran the best , I've NEVER had more any feed issues with guns , glock 17 , 4 mags crapped out(arrendondo) , my AR wouldn't pick up the first round.anger.gif

how many total rounds through the gun thus far?

if less than 100-150 full snot loads then that's your issue...

most people have to fire them a bit with full power loads before cycling improves.

mine took about 50 rounds

I stated it in first post. Approx 75 00buckshot 1200fps shells and 100 centurion #8 1400fps shells

I havent shot any "full power" loads in my 1919 yet. What would you suggest as the cheapest FULL POWER load to fire to get the gun to cycle flawlessly? I would heavily enjoy a flawless magdump 99% of the time :( but I dont want to spend a bunch of money on pricey slugs if its avoidable. Advice?

Never shot anything but cheap walmart bulk , some down to 1 oz shot. runs 98% , shot about 20 slugs ran 100%

3 MKA's

Just shot a 3 gun match this weekend , my MKA , ran the best , I've NEVER had more any feed issues with guns , glock 17 , 4 mags crapped out(arrendondo) , my AR wouldn't pick up the first round.anger.gif

I'm extremely jealous that your 1919 functioned almost flawlessly out of the box with walmart bulk ammo :/ Did you modify your 1919? Was it a firebird conversion? All I did was install a tromix gas bushing and even then that wasnt enough to cycle cheap bulk ammo :/

Did all our own work .

Oh wait, I forgot you were the gentleman making 13 round mags. Ofcourse you finetuned your 1919. What sort of things could one do to help cycling reliability?

All I know of:

1: install a gas bushing (DONE)

2: install a different spring for light brass loads (considering buying one now)

Did all our own work .

Oh wait, I forgot you were the gentleman making 13 round mags. Ofcourse you finetuned your 1919. What sort of things could one do to help cycling reliability?

All I know of:

1: install a gas bushing (DONE)

2: install a different spring for light brass loads (considering buying one now)

CLEAN

Oil

Gas bushing

Chamfer sharp edges on barrel

SHOOT034.gif

I bought my MKA and a box of winchester featherlite target shot from Dicks on the way home, shot about 20 rds, no problems- i know it was designed this way but if anything i'd like mine to be a little stiffer, after shooting some buckshot through it i'm looking at an Enidine shot shock tube to put on it, My browning gold hunter (which is designed for heavy steel shot) is much more pleasant shooting.

my 1919 would not cycle low brass out of the box.

i made my own booster bushing and that didn't fix it.

then i opened up the gas ports slightly, and bent the action tube slightly it was pressing the piston against the against the bore.

that loosened her up. she now cycles pretty much anything.

• 3 weeks later...

Range report

I used 25 Remington high brass high velocity 1550fps steel shot 3 1/2 in shells (had to manually hand feed them and forcefully eject lol) to break the 1919 in a little, then used some 30-50 Winchester high velocity 1400fps 2 3/4 in shells in the magazine to finish the break in.

After that (without the gas bushing) had about 70% successful cycle rate with the 1400fps Centurion ammo and the Winchester bulk box 1200fps loads

MUCH happier now. I imagine the gas bushing would help a bit for next time. For every magazine, there was a 50% chance of having ZERO malfunctions. When a malfunction occurred, it would be only 1 shell out of the 5 in the magazine. I suspected a good portion of the malfunctions were from improper seating of the magazine, but there were plenty of stovepipes, FTE, FTF (though most were from unintentionally riding the charging handle)

So far after today, definitely not regretting this purchase. I have to say though, the game loads made my shoulder into mush haha.

I'd like to get into the 95%+ success rate like yall are at, but I guess that just means firing a few more heavier loads or just shooting a couple hundred more light loads (maybe experimenting with different rounds altogether)... or just sucking it up and permanently having the gas pushing (and maybe a new spring) in the 1919. Id rather leave the 1919 as a buckshot/slug gun but it sure is fun shooting skeet with it.

Edited by FoxHound

DUDE!!!!! 3.5 inch shells in a gun chambered for 3 inch? Is that shit safe? I think not! Thats the kind of thing people who dont know firearms get on these boards and read and then.... OOOPS someone gets hurt from a not so smart post. Instead of trying everything and anything just get a few bulk (15 pack) boxes of Winchester 1oz slugs. You know, the red ones everyone deer hunts with. I cant remember the exact number i shot through mine off the top of my head, but they were the first thing i shot. And a lot of'm at that. Then i ran the hell out of some good ol' Remington 3" 19 pellet 00 Buckshot. In total with slugs and buckshot i believe we did somewhere around a 100 rounds total. Why now she feeds ANY 12 gauge ammo i run through her, and does it flawlessly. Yes thats including skeet loads as well. Also dont know if it helped any or not, but i left the bolt locked open for a couple days prior to ANY shooting when i first brought her home. If you are not worried about modifying it all up and making it compliant with the ATF forget the gas bushing. You dont need it. Just shoot it.

DUDE!!!!! 3.5 inch shells in a gun chambered for 3 inch? Is that shit safe? I think not! Thats the kind of thing people who dont know firearms get on these boards and read and then.... OOOPS someone gets hurt from a not so smart post. Instead of trying everything and anything just get a few bulk (15 pack) boxes of Winchester 1oz slugs. You know, the red ones everyone deer hunts with. I cant remember the exact number i shot through mine off the top of my head, but they were the first thing i shot. And a lot of'm at that. Then i ran the hell out of some good ol' Remington 3" 19 pellet 00 Buckshot. In total with slugs and buckshot i believe we did somewhere around a 100 rounds total. Why now she feeds ANY 12 gauge ammo i run through her, and does it flawlessly. Yes thats including skeet loads as well. Also dont know if it helped any or not, but i left the bolt locked open for a couple days prior to ANY shooting when i first brought her home. If you are not worried about modifying it all up and making it compliant with the ATF forget the gas bushing. You dont need it. Just shoot it.

The paper from RAAC mentioned to break in shotgun with minimum of 1300fps and 3/14

It was typed on a piece of paper that came with my detent spring replacement

It literally said that on there. I had to get my friend who hunts a lot with shotguns and heavy hunting loads to doublecheck it to make sure I wasnt going insane, but maybe youre right. He prolly skimmed it, said screw it, and drove me to academy to get those loads

To be careful, I only shot a box of 25 of those 3 1/2 inch birdshot 1550fps loads. Then shot a bunch of winchester high velocity 2 3/4 to finish the job. Dangerous? Debateable, and likely but I'm still here fortunately. Stupid? Hell yeah I'm stupid, but I try my best to follow instructions. Keyword, TRY. I asked my buddy who hunts like every other week on his parents land but I guess he didnt know much better

Either ways, the shotgun ran those loads fine and it works a bit better now, still alive and kicking, shotgun is still running with no damage to it

Edited by FoxHound

I think RAAC may be talking about 3 1/4 DRAM, not shell length. Since the MKA-1919 is my first shotgun I am trying to learn as much as I can about all the numbers I see on the boxes.lol Dram refers to the power of the load, I believe and would make sense that is what they are recommending.

Please anyone with more knowledge on this jump in. I would be happy to learn more.

• Like 1

I think RAAC may be talking about 3 1/4 DRAM, not shell length. Since the MKA-1919 is my first shotgun I am trying to learn as much as I can about all the numbers I see on the boxes.lol Dram refers to the power of the load, I believe and would make sense that is what they are recommending.

Please anyone with more knowledge on this jump in. I would be happy to learn more.

To be safe, just use 3 inch shells with high velocity dram

You guys are prolly right lol. I'll consider myself lucky not to have had one of these:

http://youtu.be/meUmkpFIGIw

Also, I'm glad I made my hunting "expert" buddy Bob shoot those 25 31/2 birdshot loads that he reccomended himself since he "knew so much" while I loaded the 4 magazines with the high velocity winchester 2 3/4inch shells for me to shoot off. Those 50 ish winchester game loads made my shoulder mush, I cant imagine shooting 25 of those 3 1/2 shells back to back like he did. Then again he is a big boy. I'll just leave it to the Gods of Darwinism being kind to him and me yesterday at the range and never do it again

Edited by FoxHound

i can promise you that they never recommended shooting a bullet longer than the gun is manufactured for. Nor does ANY firearm manufacturer. Yes they are talking about power level... NOT shell length! Glad youre ok. Stick to 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch ONLY in ALL MKA's!!!!!! You will be hard pressed to find higher powered shotgun shells in 12 gauge than good old foster style slugs.

i can promise you that they never recommended shooting a bullet longer than the gun is manufactured for. Nor does ANY firearm manufacturer. Yes they are talking about power level... NOT shell length! Glad youre ok. Stick to 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch ONLY in ALL MKA's!!!!!! You will be hard pressed to find higher powered shotgun shells in 12 gauge than good old foster style slugs.

Roger that. The worker at the ammo counter I spoke to today said not to be too concerned since the mka is rated for magnum loads and the longer shells i was shooting werent magnum, but Im glad everything turned out ok regardless. At least bird shot is cycling a LOT better and I can enjoy some cheap plinking. Just gotta sight in the red dot

Edited by FoxHound