That rustoleum 500 f engine enamel.

Sorry in advance for the rant. But this paint looks nothing like the stock semi gloss finish on our Saigas. I painted the receiver and its charcoal black. No sheen whatsoever, almost grey. I painted my rifle this evening and it looks like shite. So for all those that say this paint almost matches the original finish you must have eye sight like Ray Charles MOFos / cunts.

Edited by Limeybastard

Sounds like you bought the Ford Engine Grey and not the DE1634 low sheen black. I've never had a problem with spot painting with the 1634. Like Chevyman said "just repaint it". Make sure you get the surface clean and free from contaminants. Better yet, go to Harbor Freight and buy one of their media blaster units and strip it with aluminum oxide media. You can even paint it then without primer.

Another Duplicolor fan here.

/me thinks that Limeybastard needs to check himself for panties and a pussy, cause he whining like a bitch.

I think chille won this one. After OP finds his pussy inside those panties he(?)/she needs to go get the water hose and wash the sand out of that vagina.

Then get back to us.

• Like 3

I've used Rustoleum Textured Black. I LOVE that finish. IMHO, the best looking finish for an AK. Textured black is NOT an exact match for Saiga finish, but simply bake your Saiga at 150, spray on a slight coat, then bake it on at 300 for about 45 min and do NOT do anything with it for a day. Reassemble and you're good to go. It looks fantastic and has a cool semi gloss finish.

If the current paint is bonding well, isnt too thick, and you just don't like color, consider it a primer and just top coat it with DE1634. If it has not been on the gun that long, it probably hasn't cross linked yet anyway and can likely be removed with acetone, scotch brite pad, and brass brush.

If it were me though, I would media blast it with fine aluminum oxide or glass beads, and start from fresh metal. Just make sure you stay away from the rails, bore, and inside of the barrel. The finish on freshly blasted metal is simply superior in terms of aesthetics, paint adhesion, and corrosion resistance.

• Like 1

you could try taking some nail polish remover, or some reducer. i think youll be able to get it off fairly easy. if all else fails, just use old fashioned sand paper the best you can. just keep in mind the better the prep job is, the better the end result.

Steel wool the shi* out of it and then hit it with some degreaser/m600 and wipe it down with a clean cloth and you're ready to respray.

Let me add......warm the parts to be painted with either a heat gun or hair dryer both before and after painting.

Duplicolor low gloss black 1634...........and it always matches because I paint the whole fricking weapon.

You used the wrong Paint. Like Jetmech says.( DUPLICOLOR 1634) Hi Temp Engine Paint.

This was what I was going to say, I couldn't tell the difference between this paint and the factory paint.

Just got back from the garage, stripped the receiver and used acetone to remove the Rustoleoum paint. It came of very easy. Cleaned and sprayed. Will put it back together weekend. Thanks for all your help. Appreciate it. ;-)

Got the paint from advanced auto parts. Looks nice, being overly anal noticed a couple of dust nibs however it don't matter.

Edited by Limeybastard

When I converted my saigas I just grabbed the flat black I had on a shelf and used it. My saigas look better on the inside than the outside. Glad you got it looking good. Now go burn the paint off the barrel.

Edited by rnemhrd

Here I sit with a shop, bead blaster and I powdercoat on a weekly basis, so why does my Saiga have a spray painted receiver...shame.gif

Oh Mogunner how I envy you. Here I sit with Milspec manganese phosphate and the ability to apply it and no bead blaster to get the initial finish on the metal prior to pretreatment! :)