Hi Cap mags for Saiga .223

if you live in the United States you must first add 4 US made parts to the gun to use Hi Cap magazines,5 if you want pistol grip though you can use a US made one for the parts count. otherwise you are commiting federal offense usc 18 922.

once you get the parts on you can modify the rifle and magazines to use hi-caps. some use weigers which the sar3 was designed to use. they can be modified to work in the saiga. any magazine modified has to work in original rifle with intended caliber and quantity. some people have reported success of using ak74 mags with new follower or follower adjustments.

Thanks mrapathy2000! I am aware of the need for US parts in a modifed Saiga. I doubt I would modify the rifle if I bought one. I am just curious what mag people use when the modify the Saiga .223 rofle. Mags for the 7.62 modification seem to be readily available.

Most use the mags like CDNN sells, the German Weigers. You have to file down the latch ramp on the mag some and on top of the front to get them to latch, and then put a feed ramp in the rifle to get it to feed.

So no, there is no drop in 223 hi cap mags that I know of.

• 3 weeks later...

last night I took an old 5.45 bakelite mag and dremeled down the right and left side of the front of the mag to clear the trunion and filed a bit off the mag right above the tang and it locked into my 223 saiga very well. It wobbled a bit from side to side, but held firm. I hand cycled 10 rounds through it and it fed just fine without a feed ramp. Took it to the range tonight and it functioned fine when I only loaded 10 rounds at a time in the mag. If you add more than that the rounds do not sit right in the mag due to the difference in dimensions between 223 and 5.45, but Robinson armament makes a 223 replacement follower to correct this issue

I shot 40 rounds total and did not have a problem. I have made ZERO modifications to the rifle, so the rifle is legal.

Gonna buy some Robarm followers next week and convert more mags. They still work in 5.45 guns, so the mags are legal.

AND...

Stock Saiga's don't need US parts if all you do is use high cap mags. The 89 ban prohibits assembly of a rifle banned from importation using more than 10 foreign parts. the banned rifles were those that were copies of military rifles that took high cap mags and had at least one of the following features: pistol grip, bayo lug, flash hider, folding stock, night sights, etc. You only need to convert it to a USA made rifle if you use highcap mags AND add one of those features, like the SAR series. The stock saiga, even if it takes high cap mags, has NONE of the listed features, and therefore is perfectly legal.

Edited by MRW

ets see do I buy $15-$20 wieger east german mags or do I buy ak74 bakelite $5 from rpbusa or bulgarian ak74 30rnd magazine from k-var buy 4 and get a free magazine pouch. buy $5 follower for each magazine hmm

10 *ak74 bakelite magazine $5ea,$50 + 10*223 followers $5.99ea,$59.90 = $109.90

10 *ak74 bulgarian magazine $7.99ea,$79.90 + 10*223 followers $5.99ea,$59.90 = $139.80

contacted robarm arms who sells the followers and they said they would sell 20 followers at $4.99 that would be $99.80 vs 119.80 @ 5.99 maybe we could get bigger discount with group buy.

20 *ak74 bakelite magazine $5ea,$100 + 20*223 followers $4.99ea,$99.90 = $199.80

10*AK74 bakelite's $5ea,$50+10*AK74 Bulgarian $7.99ea,$79.90+20*223 followers $4.99ea,$99.90=$229.80(I am planning this route for my 223rem Saiga)

20 *ak74 bularian magazine $7.99ea,$149.99 + 20*223 followers $4.99ea,$99.90 = $249.89

10*sar3 wieger east german magazine at $16ea,$149

20*sar3 wieger east german magazine at $16ea,$298

cdnninvestments is out of sar3 magazines last I looked online.

on top of this the follower counts as US part add a us made follower and thats two less parts you have to worry about on the parts count tap dance. dont have to worry bout rust as much except on floorplate or spring maybe follower.

find a way to convert the ak74 magazines without the robarm follower or drop the cost on the follower with group buy and the savings is all yours.

shipping not figured in though for the ak74 magazines it is $20-$30 roughly $10 per source of parts ups ground synthetic mags do weigh less.

for wiegers 1 source $10 though weight will probably drive that up unless you get the company to give free ship.

I would rather file down polymer than metal. though if you screw up metal can be repaired most times though requires refinishing. just imagine with the savings you buy more magazines or other items.

Edited by mrapathy2000

i use bulgie black polymers in my saiga .223 ak-102 conversion. i have to add the robarm .223 follower and grind down the front of the mag a tiny bit to clear the trunion. after that it works fine, no wobbles. i am thinking about trying my hand at a few bakelites once i got some more followers.

BTW, id split that bulk package of follwers with somebody if they wanted.

dguyette@satx.rr.com

i'm using 35 rnd. galil orlite mags.

very easy to modify, much less work than weigers or ak74s

and no need to change followers.

20$ new, 10$ used from CDNN.

i filed the mag well so i can use them

unmodified,also very easy.

this weekend i bumpfired 100 rnds.

with no stoppages.

i dont know if the galil steel mags fit as easily.

would like to try a 50 rounder.

question, i just bought some to try in my ak-usa conversion. the front of the mag was too wide, so i ground off a little from both sides. now it fits, but will only feed the first round. the second will always hit the bottom of the bullet guide and get stuck. any suggestions?

i made a bullet guide from a section of pipe and had the same problem,not

enough lift to clear the breach face.

i then welded a bead on the rear of the guide to create more lift.

after smoothing out with the dremel it works good.

the galil mag does rock front to back a little but it feeds fine

either way.

ar15 mags would be possible with mag adapter. you cannot modify a magazine in the USA so it will not work in the original firearm to do so means you created a post ban hicapacity magazine which is a big no no.

ak74 mags will still work in ak74 after mods. adding the follower and replacing the floor plate with US parts will add to the parts count for legal requirements.