Hi Cap mag carrier set ups who's/what to use?

Hi Mike.

As with other gun related equipment, the question becomes "what are you going to use it for?". 3 Gun? Range fun? Home defense? Long term survival? Hunting? Tactical SWAT type operations?

I think Jack has belt clips attached to the individual mags, but I'm not sure. If you're thinking of doing 3 gun competition, you will probably want a fast access, but not as secure setup. By "secure", I don't mean to imply that a 3 gun setup will have mags fall off you, but you're probably not going to crawl around, drive, climb, swim or parachute with it. If you plan on carrying the mags for extended distances, you might want a pouch, maybe even with a retaining strap. It won't be as fast as many 3 gun setups, but that's not what it's made for. If you're thinking your Saiga will be a self/home defense tool primarily, hopefully extra mags won't be needed. If they are though, you'll want a system that's fast and easy to pick up and go. A shoulder bag setup (tactical "man purse") comes to mind. That's what I generally use. It can double as a range bag too.

Thanks, did't know about the double set up clip ...SGM's dual feed setup ("coffin mag") near production??? Got the "coffin" mags for my M11 MAX31 sub gun, WW2 era mag , run 100%.... gotta love 72 rounds in the drum verse 50 rounds in the "coffin" mags (AZ State Sub Gun Match 09/29/2012) ... "SPRAY and PRAY".... What belt clips are you using "Safariland" ??? Any links?..

In competition, I don't see the Saiga "drums" being used much, only now and then... I really didn't expext the gun to run 100% out of the box (w/mods), pleasant suprise. Lot of National class competition shooters @ Rio Salado, Mesa, Az Not too many Saiga's, but a few top dogs. .At age 71, I'm not going to kick your butt, BUT I'll "nip" at your heels... Mike

I bought several of the R&R belt clips and returned them. Basically a bent piece of plastic with double sided tape. And they were not bent evenly or consistently. Kind of disappointing.

So, I made my own. I had several shot shell holders and made a clip out of delrin, attached it to the mag which would slide into the shot shell holder. Works great.

That's dissapointing. I was thinking of getting or making some and for the cost of $3.50 each buying sounded simpler.

Here's something I noticed a day or two ago.

post-17871-0-22091600-1347578832.jpg

post-17871-0-89839800-1347578844.jpg

Here it is in Glorious Action!

Later, I think I will be bending some aluminum into belt clips. Kydex might be an easy way to make some too, but I have never really cared for the stuff.

So you started with the $35 shell carriers? It looks like it would work pretty well, but is a pricey way to acheive the result.

I've been thinking of using belt clips and putting some kind of ridge or angle on the outside edge so that my hand bumps against it in the same place every time.

The adjustable angle is a nice touch though. Your next version can have radiused corners & chamfered edges for comfort too.

Now I am trying to think of common belt clip items with a big clip that releases similarly to that but with positive retention. Portable radio kits for duty belts is the first thing I can think of.