Rifle Dynamics M4 stock adaptor RDAK-M-4

Hello all. I just got got my Rifle Dynamics M4 stock adaptor in for my Saiga 7.62. It arrived today so I figured I'd do a review on it & provide some pics. Here we go:

It's a two piece kit. One part screws directly onto the rear trunnion WITHOUT having to cut/or modify the tang at all... It also serves as a connection point for the second part...Pretty slick... As for the second part, the buffer tube connects into it... It's a MilSpec buffer tube diameter/thread size, and allows for the use of a MilSpec receiver end plate & extension nut. I have a new Saiga 7.62 that i've been meaning to convert. I don't quite have all the parts for my conversion right now but I figured I could at least remove the stock & fit the RD adaptor. Now for some pics...:

Both parts together

post-9923-0-34654000-1347499730_thumb.jpg

Top screws are hex 3/32, back screws are hex 9/64 (Disclaimer, the sizes are based off of the hex wrenches I used... Not official from RD but I'm pretty sure they're right)

post-9923-0-68232300-1347500484_thumb.jpg

Another view with parts separated

post-9923-0-29503700-1347500387_thumb.jpg

Another view showing rear or buffer tube connection point

post-9923-0-06618500-1347501181_thumb.jpg

Pic of the unconverted Saiga 7.62 trunnion w/factory stock attached...two flat head screws used to attach the stock ot rear trunnion...

post-9923-0-73298600-1347500732_thumb.jpg

Pic of Saiga 7.62 with factory stock removed & factory trigger guard removed... (I should've taken a pic of the gun with the trigger guard still attached to show how the rear of the trigger guard sticks out past the back of the receiver about an inch, which would get in the way of the stock adaptor... Not a big deal... Just wanted to show it...

post-9923-0-18390300-1347501016_thumb.jpg

Trunnion connection point screwed on

post-9923-0-62929200-1347501381_thumb.jpg

I'll add a second post to continue this review...

Buffer tube attachment point screwed down onto trunnion connection point...

post-9923-0-67447800-1347501683_thumb.jpg

Top view

post-9923-0-33339300-1347501891_thumb.jpg

Edited by Prez
  • Like 1

And finally,,, a view with the adaptor fully installed, with my MagPul CTR added...

post-9923-0-56790700-1347502074_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I dont have all the parts to complete the conversion on hand but you get the point...

My thoughts:

I haven't had the opportunity to jump up & down on the thing but it definitely feels sturdy & all the parts fit nice & snug. Both parts are aluminum, which has to be more than strong enough to support any AR stock/buffer tube combo you wanna slap onto it.

The design is awesome... The way the two parts connect onto the trunnion/receiver provide for a solid fit.

I like the fact that everything is flush with the bottom of the receiver... So when I do add a pistol grip, there's nothing hanging down that will dig into the meaty part of my hand (the part between your thumb & index finger) when gripping the rifle.

Want to add a QD sling attachment point? No problem! If its AR compatible,,, then it should work with this setup....

Conclusion,,, TWO THUMBS UP!!! I've been waiting for a part like this to come out. It's EXACTLY What I was looking for... Hurry up & get yours...

I'll provide feedback once the conversion is complete & I actually get to shoot the thing... :-)

Hope this helps... Thanks

Edited by Prez
  • Like 3

It doesn't appear to be an issue for me looking at the irons. I just lay the stock against my upper cheekbone & have a good sight picture.... But then again,,, I haven't shot AKs all that much. Maybe it's a non- issue for me because I can't really compare to a traditional AK... Although I have shot saiga 12s, Yugo underfolders, and this unconverted saiga 7.62. Don't notice a difference.

Edited by Prez

Good deal, I'm glad it fits. I had my Socom on the ACE AR style folding mech for a while, it brought the tube up to just about the same height I reckon. My cheek bones are shaped so, that I had to bury the point of the bone in to the tube to get my eye behind the sight. I tried scooting it down a lil, and it helped, but then the bottom of the mech dug in to the webbing of my hand. I said screw it and threw the pig nose back on until I installed the SGM internal trunnion replacement, earlier today actually. It looks pretty damn awesome with the Socom, I'll have to get around to getting a cameral at some point lol

• 2 weeks later...

That adapter only works if you have your rear tang correct?!?!

I'm guessing by your avatar that you have cut your tang already. If you just want something sturdier than the ACE backplate/pignose combo, you should take a look at the SGM trunnion. It'll take almost an inch off of your LOP and and the weak point is four screws perpendicular to recoil, rather than trying to hold that cap in to a slot, I remember mine used to drive up on the plate when I shot slugs no matter how tight or how much thread locker I used lol. It also saves you a lil bit of weight.

Edited by Goose

There's not much that couldn't be wadded, rolled, packed, stuffed, shaved, cut, or wrapped in such a way that could plug the open if it's something the owner feels should be done. Personally I'm thinking about stuffing an old sock in there

• Like 1

How does the CSS extension tube conversion compare to the CAA Aluminum or the VLTOR? Does anyone have any experience with it? It looks like it does not get you quite as high of a cheek weld, but higher than the VLTOR or CAA. It also has the advantage of being one piece.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Will this work on a Vepr? What is the width of the receiver insert (I ask because I've noticed most AK stocks need their width shaved to fit)? I'm assuming a mechanism to provide support in place of a square receiver would be necessary, since modern Veprs are slant-cut...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting ready to order either this one, the CAA, or the VLTOR (if I can find one). Which one is the best for proper cheeck weld with iron sights and for durability purposes? I am thinking of going with one of the Magpul stocks. Also, if I add an optic is this one going to make my cheeck weld to high if I put the added riser on the Magpul stock?

Hello new friends this is my first attempt to be a part of the community here. I had to have been one of the first people to get one of these, had my order in the very second they were available. plus I was hassling those fine people at RD for weeks the moment I heard of it's existence. Now my opinion on the matter is, if you have any intention on putting an AR style stock on an AK, this is the only way to do it(provided you want a serious combat weapon, not some look how cool I am weapon that functions like shite)

WHY?

first off if you're going for look, these have the cleanest look by far and away

Deuce- function- no mod required,(keep tang which I like) and it puts your eyes right in the sights butter zone

it allows you to use all positions for the stock. My buddy recently put a CAA/EMA tube setup on his S12 and I'll have to say I hate everything about it. if you want a 6 pos stock NOPE the CAA tube knocks it down to 4 cause of the tang. on the RD the tang goes in the tube, on CAA the tang sticks out and stops the stock from going all the way down the tube(not a fan) more for function it allows the use of AR endplates such as the Magpul A.S.A.P.(the choice I went with) or the new BCM QD plate which I would really like to check out.

I have actually not a single negative thing to say about it, works as advertised. I've had mine installed and in use since early Sept. 2012 and would never consider anything else. the second you have one in your hand you realize how much thought(design/engineering) went into it, and for that matter Jim Fuller is next to only GOD in The AK world, at least here in the states.

Getting ready to order either this one, the CAA, or the VLTOR (if I can find one). Which one is the best for proper cheeck weld with iron sights and for durability purposes? I am thinking of going with one of the Magpul stocks. Also, if I add an optic is this one going to make my cheeck weld to high if I put the added riser on the Magpul stock?

I was looking @ maybe the CSS one instead of the CAA. Gets all positions and goes around the tang.

I had RDAK-M4 and was impressed with its quality, fit and finish. Superior, like everything else from Jim and RD.

But here is my CSS adapter with MOE stock.

I like the idea of collapsing the stock all the way into receiver (well, leaving tiny and insignificant gap).

(As pictured, stock locked in position 1, I believe).

gallery_28515_747_38000.jpg

Hello new friends this is my first attempt to be a part of the community here.

Well....welcome to the forum, you'll probably fit right in......cause that's one fucked up looken avatar you got there beer.gif

Edited by AA re-cvrd
  • 1 month later...

get you quite as high of a cheek weld ...and barrel center to lower into your shoulder = less recoil -more control

How does the CSS extension tube conversion compare to the CAA Aluminum or the VLTOR? Does anyone have any experience with it? It looks like it does not get you quite as high of a cheek weld, but higher than the VLTOR or CAA. It also has the advantage of being one piece.
  • 1 month later...

This is an awesome M4 stock adapter for the AK, I recently mounted one on my 16" Saiga 308 and the fit and finish is second to none. I will be picking up a couple more for my other projects in the near future.