I have learned a great deal thankfully to the brain trust of this great forum. I almost have enough dough to move ahead with my Saiga .308 conversion. I’ve already decided on the SGM bolt-on muzzle break and the Csspecs metal mags, again, thanks to all the discussions here. I love AKs and all the variants, and plan on making Saiga conversions my new hobby. I have a few questions.

First off, I have an awesome Century Arms Polish AKM 60 (milled receiver). It didn’t come with a side scope rail so after much research, I installed the Samson mini-rail that replaces the leaf sights.

AKM604.jpg

AKM602.jpg

It really works well for me and is also notched which allows for an iron site co-witness (which I have dialed in at 100 yards).

AKM603.jpg

Has anyone else used the Samson RSR1 to mount optics on their S308? Is the Saiga .308 leaf sight the standard AK size? Is there a standard size?

What are some other favorite solutions to an optic mount that also allows a co-witness? I’d like to be able to shoot either way without removing my optic (which would probably be a 3-6x30 or something like that).

Next, I’d like to get the right FCG kit with the trigger guard that will fit the same grip as pictured on my AKM (I have an extra, it’s a Mako AG-47S. Soooo comfortable) with little or no dremelling required.

Finally, any input on a recoil reducing buttstock with adjustable cheek pieces would be helpful.

Thanks in advance! This forum rules!

-MOTH

The leaves on mine are all just about the same, but I have noticed the shapes of the ramps on the rifles seem to differ in shape between my .308 and .223 Saigas and 7.62x39mm Bulgarian. I can't get a good measurement on any of them to verify that this isn't an optical illusion, but it makes sense that sights that are intended for cartridges with different trajectories would be represented with different ramps.

I don't know if that's a co-witness as the term is generally understood on this board. If memory serves, most people refer to sights that can be viewed through the optic as "co-witnessing". Whatever it is, however, it's usually a good thing to have a backup. Still, Saigas usually come with a side rail, which makes it a good home for side mount scope or Picatinny rail. Many of these options still allow for use of the iron sights consistent with your definition of co-witnessing. AK-style POSP or PSO scopes are a pretty good choice, though you are limited in magnification and style. Some of the more popular low-profile, Picatinny rails made by Kalinka, K-var, and MI may occlude the iron sights. Kalinka does sell a taller "standard-profile" version of the BP-02 that I've read does allow for use of iron sights, but I've no way of confirming this.

Depending on your furniture choice, a Beryl-type rail could also be a possibility. TWS probably makes the best known example in their dogleg mount. I don't know if they still sell the backup iron sight separately, but it's available. How you set it up to use the irons under a scope will be up to you, but will probably involve a very high mounting of the scope. There also may be some modifications needed on the recoil spring assembly to get it to work with a .308 Saiga.

My .308 Saiga has sort of meandered into a pseudo-sniper configuration with a POSP 8x scope. In truth, a 4x is probably better suited to the rifle's accuracy and lines, but both permit the use of iron sights. I also felt the need to put a cheek riser on the gun to better align my head with the scope. Unfortunately, this also means using the iron sights actually takes some doing. Nearly any magnifying optic will be above the rifle's natural sight line, requiring some modification of the comb for a standard cheekweld or a standard comb but a modified cheekweld position. Some of those options are quicker to change than others.

I can't speak to recoil-reducing stocks or stocks with adjustable cheek pieces. Even without the brake (I installed a Spike's Dynacomp earlier this year), recoil was not a problem on mine. I use a NATO-length K-var stock with a homemade cheekpiece, though I'm currently working on making it a bit quicker to detach.

Edited by DrThunder88
  • Like 2

If you go with the SGM bolt on break, you will not need a recoil pad. I would suggest that go with a threaded break, the SGM is eaiser. However you will have a lot of added weight at the end of the barrel. There are many more options as well with a threaded barrel. I followed MacBeau and went with a M60 FH. Could not be happier. But do what you will.

I don't know if that's a co-witness as the term is generally understood on this board. If memory serves, most people refer to sights that can be viewed through the optic as "co-witnessing". Whatever it is, however, it's usually a good thing to have a backup

Yes I misused the term. Just want to have a scope and back-up iron sights. The Saiga I picked up today has the side scope mount so I'll go that route. Thanks for the info on PSOP scopes. I checked out Kalinka and those scopes seem like a good choice.

If you go with the SGM bolt on break, you will not need a recoil pad. I would suggest that go with a threaded break, the SGM is eaiser. However you will have a lot of added weight at the end of the barrel. There are many more options as well with a threaded barrel. I followed MacBeau and went with a M60 FH. Could not be happier. But do what you will.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll start out with the SGM bolt on, and see if I like it enough to keep it. The night video of the M60 flash hider is very impressive, and I'll probably go that route in the long run.

Thanks for the advice fellas. As my parts come in I'll post photos of my progress!

I followed MacBeau and went with a M60 FH. Could not be happier.

Looks like I can't use the SGM bolt on break. The M60 seems like something worth looking into. I haven't been able yet to learn what the thread pattern on the M60 is. What type threads does it have and were you able to thread the barrel yourself (Dinzag perhaps?) or did you sent it to the smithy?