Vepr 5.45 closer look

Its very similar, but not the same. Instead of using the gas block and long pin, there is a band on the barrel behind the block that is pinned to the barrel, and has a hole threaded for the sling stud to screw into with a rectangular washer. Thats what holds it in place. The portion by the reciever is shaped like standard AK furniture to fit like a lower handguard does. No screws like the basic Saiga's.

I noticed that on my 54R VEPR as well.. no screw holes in the front (under) of the receiver either..

The forearm slides in TIGHT under neath (into the receiver) and the single screw for the sling swivel holds it in place..

SGM announces on FB a version of their Tri-Rail for VEPR coming out soon.. They said I could use a Saiga 20 type (for my 54R) but it would have to be modded abit to work.. So I'll just wait..

Was the pin that holds the muzzle protector on, hard to tap out?

No. I couldnt tap anything out. The pin doesnt go all the way through. What I did was take a small file and find the angle that the pin was in, and file down into the muzzle nut enough to where I started to unscrew the nut, it pushed it out on its own. Didnt take but 15 minutes or so with a small round file. So long as you follow the same direction the pin is going, it should back itself out enough to where you can grab it with a pair of pliers, and not damage the threads.

Well. You had the right idea. This is what I was talking about.

post-32793-0-49865600-1349497789_thumb.jpg

Since its left hand threads, once you file enough down into it, and start to back it off, you will see the pin start to work its way out. Once it starts, it dont take much to work it until you can pull it out...

Did you by any chance try the saiga mag before reomving any material from the reciever? Wondering if Saiga mags worked in it before mods.

Liberty, I just caught what you were initially asking. I did not have to remove any material from the reciever, but only the mag catch to get my surplus mags to lock in. Sorry I didnt catch that until now.

Russian and Bulgarian. I'll measure my magwell on my 5.45 Vepr and SGL31 when I get home from work later today and see what they are. It may be caliber specific. Either way It'll be good for a future reference for others.

From what I could gather without my micrometer or caliper, on both the Vepr 5.45 and SGL31 magwells I got 13/16" for the front measurement, and it opened up to right around 15/16" and went 2-3/4" long overall on both guns.

The .223 Vepr may vary. On my Saiga .223 magwell, I ended up getting 29/32" at the front to a tad over 1" for the rear and ended with just under 2-3/4" long. But my measurements are not as accurate as yours since I dont have my micrometer and my caliper took a shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing worth noting is that the Vepr 5.45 mags will fit into the Saiga magwell, so long as you make room for the bullet guide if your running one. It is a tight fit front to back, but I was able to get them to lock in. And once doing so a few times, they appear to be much easier to insert now.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah. It has a nut and screw. You have to remove the black cap at the bottom of the stock to reveal the grip screw. But the screw may be a pain in the ass to remove with the wobbled out hole on the end in the nut, but it can be done. Once out, then you can proceed to remove the buttstock in one piece.

I was looking at the photos you took of the internals a noticed that in one of the photos the trunnion near the magwell area is black in one photo and bare metal in another. Did you remove material to make it easier to get the mags to rock and lock easier?

Thats a negative. Luckily, I didnt have to remove any material from the trunnion. The bare metal that your seeing is likely from normal use. I see what your saying though. When I first bought this rifle, I thought I would have to modify the mags to clear like a Saiga. This was another positive attribute that sold me on the Vepr series. The trunnion on the .223 Vepr is the same isnt it? Im going to pick up another Vepr, but havent decided on caliber just yet. I assume all the military calibers have this type of trunnion.

• 1 month later...

Well today I got to go out and get my SGL sighted in with my Trijicon Reflex, and I used my Molot 10rd factory mags. They functioned flawless like I thought they would, but I did have to modify the mag similar to a factory saiga mag to clear the bullet guide, but all in all, the mag will function flawless in a Vepr, and a Saiga now with a bullet guide.

I saw at that top that someone was asking about fixing the rear of the receiver. I know Matt "Turbo this" from the AK forum who I think is a member here fixes those slant cut Chinese mak 90 receivers. I would imagine he could fix the slant cut veprs to accept standard ak stocks. Might be worth pinging him to find out.

There is a few makers of reciever blocks for these. Its just as easy to use one of those for standard stock use if thats what someone is going for. Plus there have been a few strait cut Vepr's spotted in the wild.

• 3 months later...

I have been wanting to add this for a while, but for those wanting to run Vepr mags in their Saiga's, or have a bullet guide in their Vepr, I have found the mod below to be beneficial for both rifles.

Simply mod the Vepr mag like the Saiga mag like normal, and try to remember to file the front lug down like the Saiga mags are to clear the bullet guide.

post-32793-0-07318200-1366403832_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-99548500-1366403843_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...