Adjustable AK side mount... any opinions?

I don't know that I would go for something like that. Just seems like there are so many connection points that you could have more areas to break or move and lose zero. Once you get it in let us know how it goes. If it works thats great and if not, eBay it up as a tacticool scope/laser mount/curling iron

Edited by VR6Shooter

I don't have any plans to mount anything on the side, I'll probably cover it up with aTapco rail cover if it presents a problem. Alot of the other AK side scope mounts have rails on the side anyway so I figured an aluminum one that is adjustable so that I can see my iron sights as well seems worth a little extra weight. I mean, it is an AK .308. It's gonna be heavy.

In a perfect world there would be a store with barrels and bins of AK side scope mounts everywhere and I could go in and fit the right one to my gun like buying shoes, but alas I have to shop for it online.

• Like 1

IMO set up your scope to be good at being a scope. That means probably you will want it as low as you can get it. If your scope is naturally in line with your eye, you will never have any desire to use the irons.

The belarus low style scope mount would probably be my pick for that because it is solid and low without any picatinny rail or extra rings, That keeps it lighter. If you want to get at the irons, the whole thing slides off and on again easily.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'll keep the Belarus mount in mind. I do have an adjustable cheek piece on my stock, and I'm hoping to be able to switch quickly and easily between scope and irons. I'll definitely make sure it all is comfortable and makes sense. That's the fun with these projects, you get to tinker and experiment.

I haven't decided on a scope yet. Probably something in the 6x to 10x range.

Update on the mount. It sits 1/4 or more too far to the right. I wrote to TufForce to inquire about returning it. Haven't heard back yet. If they won't take it back I might just drill and tap some new holes and make it fit.

• Like 1

It looks like TufForce won't stand behind their product, and I don't recommend buying it. To make it work I'll have to drill and tap some new screw holes, but it doesn't attach to the scope rail very snug unless you really crank down the screws, which makes me feel like they will strip. Going to order a Kalinka standard.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...