New Saiga. Dust cover issue.

I bought my first AK variant at the gun show this weekend. A converted Saiga 7.62. Went straight to the range and she ran great. When I got home I stripped the rifle down and noticed the dust cover was on there pretty snug. Took a smack to knock it loose. When I tried to put it back together it just doesn't fit. With or without the recoil spring, does not fit. I was able to reassemble the rifle by smacking it back into place with a mallet. What's the best way to fix this problem?

Thanks.

I bought my first AK variant at the gun show this weekend. A converted Saiga 7.62. Went straight to the range and she ran great. When I got home I stripped the rifle down and noticed the dust cover was on there pretty snug. Took a smack to knock it loose. When I tried to put it back together it just doesn't fit. With or without the recoil spring, does not fit. I was able to reassemble the rifle by smacking it back into place with a mallet. What's the best way to fix this problem?

Thanks.

A good smack with your hand works best and is normal.
  • Like 1

I woudnt grind the reciever. Id try another cover before you go that route. The factory cover will be a little snug, but look and see if you can see where the tight spots are at when getting it seated.

Try this. If you can see where the interference is. you can probably work on that area a little to relieve the pressure. As stated, work on the dust cover and not the receiver. Try bending/flexing the dust cover at the affected area.

Edited by canoecanoe

I have done almost all of the Mods that can be done. I have shot and cleaned my Rifle I don't know how many times, and putting the Dust Cover back on has always been the hardest part for me, LOL. Sometimes, it goes right on, but there is a little trick to it, I just hadn't figured it out, lol.

Maybe try this before bending or grinding. Let the main spring button go in the receiver cover hole a little before pushing it forward. Then give it a firm "moscow tap" straight down. There is a trick to it and it takes a little practice. I love hearing it snap in to place. It was on there before right? Don't get frustrated; if you don't get it on tonight just do it tomorrow.

Here's the trick. Look under the rear sight. There is a groove on the front trunion the front of the dust cover must be in. Once in there, lay it against the "button", and smack it with the heel of your hand ONLY.

Edited by Lone Eagle
  • Like 1