Would you buy your next AR from Wal-mart?

The "gun shop" across town in TARRANT CITY where I bought my first Saiga, which was my .410, sold it to me and said it'd run the 2.5" shells, NO PROBLEM. Well, when I got home and it didn't, I called them, all I got told was "to send it back to the factory". That's how I found this place and learned A LOT. I go back in there once in a while and fuck with them, but I DO NOT buy from them anymore, the owner is retired PO PO, and the other guy is a yankee reject that has a hard on for Bill Ruger. So Wally World isn't the only place with fucktards, theirs' are just more under paid

• Like 2
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Movies don't make policy decisions... The people that run the companies do.   Wal-Mart selling the ammo was supposedly the reason why the massacre happened in Michael Moore's Fake-umentary. Wal-Mar

For me, there won't be any next AR..........   I own only one, and it's actually a TR-15............and you won't ever find one like it at Walmart !!

I have a great local gunsmith/gunshop that I spend my money at. Especially if the price difference is not too big. I prefer buying from an educated, professional and enthusiastic gunsmith. I get great

Posted Images

I see little difference between that and buying online. If the price is close, I try to build goodwill with a gunsmith who will take care of problems. I'd choose to pay a little more in order to keep an honest dealer who helps customers in business.

If they are a couple hundred cheaper for the same gun, I'd buy at wally's.

• Like 1

Don't forget many of these black rifles do not have a true 5.56 chamber rather a .223 if you plan on running Military ammo. Wallyworld will sell you a Bushhampster rifle with a .223 chamber and rifling for 55 grain and send you out the door with a can of M855 5.56 NATO because they do not know the difference. I have overheard the gun counter fudds at Walmart spout off some stupid shit when trying to sell such a rifle to a buyer equally uneducated. Look at the ad in the OP, it says the Colt is an M4 Rifle. Pretty sure that isn't a genuine M4.

Actually the DPMS AR they sell at Walmart is chambered 5.56. It Is marked on the barrel, although the lower is marked .223/5.56 NATO. I know this because I have looked at them and they are the exact same gun that I purchased through a local gun store for 20 bucks more than Walmart is selling them for. I know there are better ARs out there, but I never understood the annimosity for DPMS. I love my rifle. I have never had a malfunction with it. NEVER through a 1000 rounds. The wear on all functional parts is minimal, and I can shoot a 4" target all day with it at 200 yards. Best $599 I have spent in a long time.

• Like 1

My good friend, ex-LEO who knows his guns, researched the Sig model, asked our local gun shop owner/gun guru what he thought, and then picked up the Sig. Aparently it is a good mil-spec gun that shoots 5.56 for a good price. I don't know shit about AR's but I thought it was well made and shot great. I highly doubt my friend has bought a junk gun.

Of course this doesn't change the fact that I really don't like WalMart and only go there to buy cheap plink ammo.

• Like 1

I've contemplated the Colt AR that is in the advert, I've been looking at buying an AR, loved the Colt I had on loan for a while, and would feel more comfortable owning another Colt vs. any of the other brands Wal-Mart is offering. That and it almost seems like one of those "American, Fuck Yeah!" moments where you can buy your black rifle right along with your soda and canned cheese, all a while bragging to family in firearm unfriendly states about it. However, I'm going to definitely look at comparable models at the gun show this weekend and the local (read: expensive) gun shop before pulling the trigger on that purchase.

While in my local walmart the other day I found out another thing or two I didnt know. Apparently walmart will special order guns for you. The lady behind the counter had a big ass gun book with walmart logos on it looking up a rifle for another customer. I may look into this option b/c Im sure they will be better priced than my local gun stores.

I buy online now but if I were buying in store I would buy from walmart BEFOR my local gunstores b/c their generally a bunch of jerks with grossly overpriced guns.

The closest walmart to me doesnt even sell ammo. All the others sell ammo but no firearms. Infact the only walmart with ammo, reloading supplies and firearms Ive seen is 1/5 hours away from me. But to answer the question, YES I would buy a Colt from Walmart.

Actually the DPMS AR they sell at Walmart is chambered 5.56. It Is marked on the barrel, although the lower is marked .223/5.56 NATO.

Just because it is marked 5.56 doesn't necessarily mean the chamber really is 5.56. That is a proven fact in the AR world. I've read several evaluations about Panther Arms/DPMS rifles not having a true 5.56 NATO chamber. This could be an issue running something like M855 ammo which originally was a load for the M249 SAW. It is hotter than M193 and the over pressure generated by it in a non-mil-spec rifle could result in a catastrophe failure. If you are running nothing but .223 Remington go ahead and buy a cheap plinker for all I care.

• Like 1

Actually the DPMS AR they sell at Walmart is chambered 5.56. It Is marked on the barrel, although the lower is marked .223/5.56 NATO.

Just because it is marked 5.56 doesn't necessarily mean the chamber really is 5.56. That is a proven fact in the AR world. I've read several evaluations about Panther Arms/DPMS rifles not having a true 5.56 NATO chamber. This could be an issue running something like M855 ammo which originally was a load for the M249 SAW. It is hotter than M193 and the over pressure generated by it in a non-mil-spec rifle could result in a catastrophe failure. If you are running nothing but .223 Remington go ahead and buy a cheap plinker for all I care.

That is interesting. I would think that if the barrel is stamped 5.56 1x9 twist for a rifle that is mass produced for gun dealers and now Walmart, the legal liability would be enormous if the chamber is not properly sized, and a catastrophic failure ensues. I shoot both .223 Rem and 5.56 through my rifle per the owners manual recommendations. I do not shoot hotter loads such as M855. Like I said above there are much better and more robust ARs out there. I would not pretend that the DPMS is the same as any of the higher end ARs on the market. But for weekend range fun, and for the price point, the model that Walmart is selling is a good value IMHO. Thanks for the information on the chamber though. I will definitely stay away from the hotter loads.

The closest walmart to me doesnt even sell ammo. All the others sell ammo but no firearms.

that has to do with local city ordnance where the store is located, rather then store policy.

here in Brooklyn, Ohio ( home of stupid seat belt law) 15 minutes from me, no guns, no ammo, just a few scopes, targets and cleaning supplies. 1 hour away in Chardon (where Ohio Ordinance Works is) they sells ammo and firearms.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I have a great local gunsmith/gunshop that I spend my money at. Especially if the price difference is not too big. I prefer buying from an educated, professional and enthusiastic gunsmith. I get great advice, and great service. Both important when dealing with guns. If I am buying milk, or socks, who cares if the cashier is polite or not, educated or not....but my gun purchases are very important to me. Plus, the LOCAL guy is inclined to give Better deals to repeat buyers. Try "Building a relationship" with Wall-mart and see where that gets you. Not just because it is a wall-mart, I won't buy @ sporting good "Supermarkets" either.

For the difference of $50 or so, I will happily buy from my local gunsmith.....all of the perks are Priceless!!

• Like 4

Not to increase any confusion but, if its a 223 Wylde chamber it is perfectly safe to fire both 223 Rem and 5.56 NATO.

got to say no. i buy almost all my ammo there because they have great prices on it, no shipping and i have yet to have a problem it 15 years with it. that said i have a good local shop that is friendly and knowledgeable and willing to make good deals on guns. i always see if they can get what i want at a decent price before i look elsewhere. they seem to pretty much price match walmart anyway. if i didn't have that option then i may think about buying from walmart.

• Like 1

Not to increase any confusion but, if its a 223 Wylde chamber it is perfectly safe to fire both 223 Rem and 5.56 NATO.

lets straighten out all confusion the 223/5.56 talk about interchanging and pressure is bullshit you can fire either round regardless without catastrophic failure a 223 chamber will get worn out faster but it wont blow up.

Will Walmart let you come back in to trick it out? I haven't bought a thing at Wal-Mart in 2012 and don't plan to ever go back there again.

Appears Sig and Colt among others have rifles at Wal-mart now. I assume these are not "cheapened" versions and I have yet to handle one first hand, but I am not sure I could go to Wal-mart to buy one...your thoughts? (I live in the Raleigh NC area).

lets straighten out all confusion the 223/5.56 talk about interchanging and pressure is bullshit you can fire either round regardless without catastrophic failure a 223 chamber will get worn out faster but it wont blow up.

Exactly, then blows up in your grille. A .223 Remington chambered bolt gun will handle it all day long. An AR not so great in the long run.

Wally is going to kill the gunshop my neighbor bought two of the sig magpul set ups one in OD and one all black each were only 900.00 what local shop can get lower pricing and the sits are really nice as well and just seen the other day there carrying quad rails,vertical grips , bipods and even black hawk spec-ops stocks for Remington and Mossberg shotguns there the none recoil reduction type though and they include a forend for like 70.00

Wally is going to kill the local gun shop.

My neighbor bought two of the Sig MagPul setups, one in OD and one all black, each were only 900.00, and the sights are really nice as well. What local shop can get lower pricing?

And just saw the other day they're carrying Blackhawk AR quad rails,vertical grips, bipods and even Blackhawk spec-ops stocks for Remington and Mossberg shotguns and they include a forend for like 70.00.

There are none of the recoil reduction type though.

LMAO... Sorry Warthog, its a sickness. I had to try to make that a lil'easier to read.

Yep, they're going all the way on ARs.

I hope it works out so well, that they bring back handguns.

And please take note, they call them Modern Sport Rifles, not Assault Rifles, thank you Wally World!

walmartar_zps31d54193.jpg

I plan on buying their bulk 1600rd, CCI Mini Mag 40gr CPRN, in a plastic ammo box for only $98.00.

Sorry, money talks and overpriced dealers can kiss my ass.

I try never to leave Wally World without a box of ammo included in my purchase.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

Would I buy one from there? Probably not. But that's only because anything they have, you can get for cheaper elsewhere. The bigger picture here is that these "evil, baby killing assault rifles of death" are being sold at a place where you can buy groceries and diapers.

.................and that is a great thing, IMO. The more mainstream, the better.

(As for supporting your local brick-n-mortar shops; it seems many of them want to put themselves out of business. With the combination of shitty attitudes and ridiculous pricing, it's no wonder why people go online for their goods. I'd love to support local shops, but I'm not going to deal with assholes and go bankrupt, just to do it. YMMV.)

• Like 3