182gr Yellow Tip or 148gr Light Ball Silver Tip??

Theoretically, the heavy ball ammo should outperform the light ball with the 1 in 9.5 twist rate that was discussed in the other thread. However, its well known that some Mosins with that same twist shoot better with the light ball. So, I say its going to be a tossup... if you have a gun store around you that sells individual packs, buy 40 rounds or so of heavy and light ball and bench some groups at various ranges before you buy a tin of either. If you have to pick one, go with the heavy ball.

I don't know about the Vepr, but my Mosins love heavy ball; the M39 groups that stuff like a champ.

J&G sales sells the heavy ball you're looking at by the 20 along with various types of light ball. Brown/Silver Bear ammunition is also really nice.

I don't know about the Vepr, but my Mosins love heavy ball; the M39 groups that stuff like a champ.

J&G sales sells the heavy ball you're looking at by the 20 along with various types of light ball. Brown/Silver Bear ammunition is also really nice.

Would be good but the $19.xx shipping for 6 packs (120 rounds) is WAY too crazy...

Would be good but the $19.xx shipping for 6 packs (120 rounds) is WAY too crazy...

That sucks, thats almost as much as shipping is for a whole spam can. If I were you, I'd just go out on a limb and get the heavy ball. Later, get a can of the light ball and a mosin. Keep what shoots best in the Vepr for the Vepr and blast away the other stuff with the mosin. Its like a win-win-win situation. I'd say you've got like a 90% chance your Vepr will shoot the heavy ball the best. The only reason I think some mosins shoot the light ball better is because their bores are shot out and they don't impart as much spin as they used to.

Call up J&G and see if they can do anything for you about those crazy shipping rates over the phone. If you make the call and buy a tin, go to sgammo for crazy rates on shipping and ammo. They've also got some of that brown/silver bear to try out if you're interested.

Going to grab a TIN of the heavy 182gr YT from SGAmmo for a start on payday.. then go back in a week and grab a TIN of the 147gr..

Had thought of SGAmmo from the gate but wanted opinions on light vs. heavy..

I also think the heavy YT is made for longer shots.. (from what I read on the 54R site)..