Mags, durability, and feed lips.

So evidently I waited too long to purchase a 5.45, and now I guess the surplus steel mags are pretty much gone or rather expensive. So my question is, are polymer mags as good as I hear, or as bad as I hear? I am hoping for middle ground on them, but I keep hearing that the plastic wears out quick on new production magazines made here in the states, or that getting a tapco is a waste of my money, or that the plastic mags are great for the cost but nothing else.

I have also heard that you want to get reinforced feed lips. I am rather new to the AK platform and mag loaders in general so I am not certain as to what this pertains to, hoping you gents would be able to clear that up.

Also, what are some physical characteristics I can look for that will show me an obvious difference in 47 and 74 mags for when I hit the next local gun show?

I have to say this though, shooting the Saiga was thrilling, wish I had not have waited so long to purchase one!

Id go with Bulgarian circle 10/21/25. Still somewhat cheap and easier to get than russian. I dont run steel mags in my 5.45's, so I cant comment on them. Ive had zero problems with any of my polymer mags in both Russian and Bulgarian.

This should help you determine the differences. http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/10/14/ak-type-magazine-identification-chart/

Cost of mags has gone up a ton, but you're still better of going with Commie polymers than the new stuff. I saw a demonstrational video comparing the two buy dropping the gun on the mag, on the side, etc., and it would completely convince anyone to stay away from anything that didn't have steel reinforcement. Dropping the gun with a full tapco = 30 rounds all over the floor and a useless mag.