It seems that sometimes my "Collection" gets bigger than I like, and I feel the need to cut down on the # of guns and calibers that I own. In all reality, I will most likely never need them in any sort of S.H.T.F. situation, but if I ever did, what good is having more than you can carry?

I am feeling I need to cut back on calibers and turn those rifles into ammo for whatever calibers I end up keeping.

Some rifles are not really worth enough to want to sell, like my old Mosin Nagant, hardly worth selling for the $100 bucks I could get for it....plus, a PSL would use the same cheap ammo.

Anywho, What would you go with? and why?

My current calibers are: 7.62, 7.62x54r, .308, .223, .22 (pistol &rifle), 9mm (pistol and carbine), .44mag (pistol & rifle), .45, .40. 12ga.

Seems like a person would max out carrying 2 pistols and 2 rifles.....plus ammo??

Gotta have a rifle and a shotgun though....

I lean toward keeping the Saiga .308 and FN bolt action .308 and ditching the 7.62x39??

See?...That's already 3 long guns!!! Darn it!

I like the power of .308, but the ammo is just too expensive. Hard to say if you already have a lot invested in it (both guns & ammo). I think I'd sell it off though, you'd get a good buck for all of it. Besides... isn't the .308 and x54 kind of redundant?

I'd keep/expand the x39 stuff.

Maybe dump off the .40 stuff too.

My personal choices in caliber for the family are:

.22lr for varmints and cheap plinking (pitol an rifles)

.223 for defense

7.62x54r for defense

.410ga for defense

9mm for defense

My choice for my personal gun is:

45 acp (just because everyone needs to have at least on 1911)

I would look at the collection and see what you have the most of that shares a common caliber and go from there. Caliber commonality helps me deicde what to buy and what to pass on.

• Like 1

Post SHTF, Firearms would be good for barter. Now that I have about 3 dozen, I'm concentrating on ammo, components, and NFA items. I personally dislike downsizing.

Post SHTF, if choice was limited, I would go with a:

.22 Rifle (Suppressed, if possible). Quiet. Quieter than an air rifle. Also, a .22 Pistol companion host , if available.

Reliable 12 gauge. Shells are very common. Will clear out opposition in a tight situation.

7.62 x 39 (AK) Ammo is very common. Compact. Reliable.

.45 ACP, Compact. Ammo is also common. Last chance knockdown.

• Like 4

If you trade or downsize for more utility or quality, then it can definitely be a good thing - for instance trading a few extra AR's, AK's or hunting rifles to afford a .338 Lapua or .50 BMG for distance/power purposes makes a lot of sense.

However, backups of like calibers or platforms is definitely a good thing (like having a big game rifle's scope crap out on a big hunt and not having a backup that's sighted in and ready to take over). Regarding SHTF, the lone ranger doesn't survive very long unless he is far away from all other humans in bad times. Having the tools to outfit like-minded people can save your life and also be bartered for other essential supplies or services.

At the end of the day, a firearm is a functional tool that has value because of its utility - it can feed and protect you. If we live to see the end of days, animals, combatants, and zombies won't die any quicker from a $2,300 SCAR vs. a $700 DPMS vs. a $350 Saiga in .223. How you interact with the firearm is what is different (if it is a crappy gun that is unfamiliar or jams, you will get proficient and familiar with it or die), but brand appeal means jack-shit in the end of times. You won't likely barter 3.5 DPMS rifles or 6.5 Saigas for 1 SCAR if your friends and family's lives depend on the group being well armed. A gun is a gun in that scenario.

Your calibers are well covered and since you live in an area where critters on 4 legs get rather large, the .44 Magnum trumps the 9mm as a walking side arm (but the 9mm is good for 2 legged threats and is likely easier to conceal).

You don't have that many caliber redundancies in my opinion. A .303 British, 7.62x54R, 30-06, .308, .270, 7mm Mag and .300 Win Mag in hunting style bolt guns would be minor redundancy IMO (I am guilty of several of these myself). As long as you have the means to feed them, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Your old Mosy's may not be worth much now, but when the supply dries up, they will quickly move up in price similar to other surplus weapons like Enfields, CZ52's, Schmidt Rubins, etc (all used to go for about $100 and most are easily double that within 10 years). They are also fun to collect with other Russian guns from a historical standpoint. The Mosy's are also the cheapest big caliber to feed currently with the 440 round tins under $70.

So my opinion is that if you are paying something bigger and better off, it could be worth it. Otherwise, hang on to them.

I fully understand where you're coming from, I've a pretty wide array of calibers and firearms.

Even though I've tried to limit the number of calibers, and have multiple firearms in the same caliber.

I've sold/traded several, for either another gun and/or ammo.

"Man, I'm glad I sold/traded those, I'm much happier with what I have now."

Just the other week, I was at the Gun Show trying to trade my Saiga.308-ver.21 for a M1 Garand in .308win.

The S.308-ver.21 is nice, but it is a range toy, being too damned heavy it isn't really suitable for hunting/defense.

So far I've it down to, 5.56nato, .223rem, 7.62x39, 7.62x51nato, .308win, .22lr, 12g, .45acp, .9mm Luger, .357mag, .38spc, .380acp

What I've gotten rid of, .22mag, .410, 7.62x54R, .30-06,

• Like 1

The only calibers I currently have now are .22lr, .38spl, .45, 50AE, x54R, 5.45, 5.56 and 12 ga. If thats not versitile enough, then I dont need a gun period.

Downsizing can be good. They're your guns, so do as you wish. Im a pack rat when it comes to downsizing. The only two calibers I rid myself of this year is the .40 and 30-30. So its just preference. Im looking into focusing on ammo and other items of interest at the moment.

Edited by Captain Hero

In a SHTF domestic martial law situation, think of what ammo the regime forces will most likely have. I think .223 and .308 will be abundant , so a .308 rifle will be valuable tool to have in those times.

Pistol calibers like 9mm, .40cal, .45 should be abundant too, relatively easy to find. I would classify 12 gauge shotty ammo and anything .22 in this class as well.

As much as I love my Ak's, 7.62 x39 will eventually become hard to find, and the 5.45x39 for my AK 74 will vanish quickly, unless you have it stockpiled in huge numbers.

7.62x54R is one I would get rid off. Just my thoughts...

Edited by Jpanzer

Why not just start reloading and stash it all in .50 cal ammo cans. Who's to say what will be needed and/or wanted by someone else, should the need arise. Having too many guns and too much ammo is like a woman having too many purses, dresses, shoes or diamonds, the first one just ain't right and the second just won't happen.

The only gun I have in a bad caliper is my lever gun in .35 Rem. I am likely selling that soon as its coming on deer season around here and this is the time to make the most on it. If I can score an SKS as a trade for it I will likely go that route. If I cant I'm getting ammo for the other guns. The only out of place caliber you appear to have Rob is the 54R, and as you said. It isnt even worth it to sell it. If I were you, I'd select the one/s I shoot the least. Since they are likely the ones you like the least it wont be bad and you can acquire something else you may want instead. If you cant find anything, bulk up on that ammo pre-Nov. Since I can see it skyrocketing if a certain someone gets re-election

Well if I didn't just buy the 20" VEPR in 54R I'd be more than willing to buy back the Saiga 762x39 with the wood from a few years back. I'll end up with about 2200 rounds of 54R sitting here by mid next month for playing at the range with..

I have 1 AR in 223/556, the Marlin in 22lr, the 9mm, the VEPR in 54r.. just need a cheap 12ga..

What's it worth if you can't carry it all? Depends on how many friends you have when the time comes ;)

Personally, I wouldn't 'downsize' unless that was the best way to get you into more/different guns that you want/need. Once you have your base of main guns and calibers, there's no problem having oddball guns. I mean, you don't have to stock up on ammo for every caliber you own. Sure, its a good practice... but its not a prerequisite for any gun to have 1k+ extra rounds as long as you have others that you're stocked up in. If you go down that road and dump most of your toys for the sake of planning for the end of the world, you're gonna miss out on a lot of fun guns and good shooting if society doesn't actually implode on itself.

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat but need to 'cull the herd' to make room for others.

Currently many of mine share a commonality. have a few of the 7.62x39 rifles, pistol that you can add stock and make it a rifle,as well as ammo.

Pistols are 40 and 9mm. with somewhat interchangeable magazines. XD ( feed lips can be opened or closed )

And of course the 12 gauge.

Looking at more of collectors type of firearms now ( rifles mostly. ) with maybe 1 rifle, 1handgun, 1shotgun for SHTF

Money doesn't grow on tree's for me, especially in this economy.

I sold off a bunch for financial reasons years ago, and now I'm slowly building back up lately, going with less guns at higher quality and some strategic spare parts to last out anything or JIC.

The Akdal is great, but I don't think it is NEARLY as rugged as a vepr 12, so I'm getting one of those.

• Like 1

I don't mean to offend anyone here. I haven't read all the posts.

But why does EVERYTHING have to do with SHTF? Can't you just have some guns because you like/want them?

Yes, I have my SHTF guns/gear and then I have my guns that I have because I wanted them. If the time come to "get outa Dodge" they will be left or bartered I guess. It's just like anything else people collect.

It seems that sometimes my "Collection" gets bigger than I like, and I feel the need to cut down on the # of guns and calibers that I own. In all reality, I will most likely never need them in any sort of S.H.T.F. situation, but if I ever did, what good is having more than you can carry?

I am feeling I need to cut back on calibers and turn those rifles into ammo for whatever calibers I end up keeping.

Some rifles are not really worth enough to want to sell, like my old Mosin Nagant, hardly worth selling for the $100 bucks I could get for it....plus, a PSL would use the same cheap ammo.

Anywho, What would you go with? and why?

My current calibers are: 7.62, 7.62x54r, .308, .223, .22 (pistol &rifle), 9mm (pistol and carbine), .44mag (pistol & rifle), .45, .40. 12ga.

Seems like a person would max out carrying 2 pistols and 2 rifles.....plus ammo??

Gotta have a rifle and a shotgun though....

I lean toward keeping the Saiga .308 and FN bolt action .308 and ditching the 7.62x39??

See?...That's already 3 long guns!!! Darn it!

I'd keep the 44 mag pistol. It's a pretty decent wilderness survival round. If I were to find myself down to one handgun in Montana, SHTF or not, that's the one I would want. Having said that though, I'd also want the .40 or .45 for concealed carry. For long gun I'd lean toward .308. And of course......12 gauge. So.......(44 mag, .45, .308, and 12 ga.)

I don't mean to offend anyone here. I haven't read all the posts.

But why does EVERYTHING have to do with SHTF? Can't you just have some guns because you like/want them?

Yes, I have my SHTF guns/gear and then I have my guns that I have because I wanted them. If the time come to "get outa Dodge" they will be left or bartered I guess. It's just like anything else people collect.

you mad bro?

• Like 1

Just look at it as an investment and stock up seriously on only the ammo on the guns you like to shoot. I part with stuff from time to time, but it usually ends up with buying more stuff anyway. If you don't need the cash now,I'd wait until you do or until the prices become inflated as an incentive. Prices on most AWB guns increased by 3-4x when it went in place, my 1st S12 was $225-there's a time to buy when supplies are high and prices are cheap, on occasion sell."Keep the things you like in life". As far as all the SHTF stuff, unless you're a serious prepper I doubt anything more than a few k rounds will make much difference in your quality of life or protection level. Good friends and neighbors will go a long way.

• Like 2

I am going through the same thing. I have gone back to school to get a degree, so no money! So I went through the collection and looked at the stuf that I dont use and thought I would sell and streamline. Well after the smoke had cleared, I find I now have more then I started with??? Now I have 2 AR's insted of one, 5 Ak types insted of 4, and a pistol in .357 sig??? ( I plan on a .40 bbl & maybe a 9mm bbl). Trading guns can be fun.