Been waiting for Cabin In The Woods... supposed to be good. Yeah I know it's not new.

I saw it. I won't say don't watch it. But I will say don't get your hopes up.

I was really wanting to see it when I saw the previews. But ended up disappointed after actually watching it. I really like the "idea" of the movie, though. I just think it was poorly executed and it felt really "cheesy".

• Like 1

ya the "horror" they picked was stupid

I haven't seen this particular movie yet but this is the biggest failing IMO of many Horror movies, the menace, the evil, the thing that's supposed to put the fear in us all is just plain lame. One that comes to mind is Terminator 3....oooo, scary super model. Don't get me wrong, I could look at Kristanna Loken's bare ass all day long but she didn't inspire fear or dread...it was something else. Another was the "monster" Nick Nolte changed into in the first Hulk movie. Now the "Blonsky" monster Tim Roth turned into in the second was A-Ok, well done on that one.

The thing that allowed the "Hellraiser" franchise to go on as long as it did was Pinhead even though he did get played out about 3 or 4 sequels down the road. IMO good examples of truly scary antagonists are 30 Days Of Night, Silent Hill, Jeepers Creepers, The Ring...

Sometimes the scary entity is a combination of a physical presence and something super natural which works if done right but often the thing you're supposed to be scared of isn't that scary and a Horror movie without scary is a waste of time.

ya the "horror" they picked was stupid

I haven't seen this particular movie yet but this is the biggest failing IMO of many Horror movies, the menace, the evil, the thing that's supposed to put the fear in us all is just plain lame. One that comes to mind is Terminator 3....oooo, scary super model. Don't get me wrong, I could look at Kristanna Loken's bare ass all day long but she didn't inspire fear or dread...it was something else. Another was the "monster" Nick Nolte changed into in the first Hulk movie. Now the "Blonsky" monster Tim Roth turned into in the second was A-Ok, well done on that one.

The thing that allowed the "Hellraiser" franchise to go on as long as it did was Pinhead even though he did get played out about 3 or 4 sequels down the road. IMO good examples of truly scary antagonists are 30 Days Of Night, Silent Hill, Jeepers Creepers, The Ring...

Sometimes the scary entity is a combination of a physical presence and something super natural which works if done right but often the thing you're supposed to be scared of isn't that scary and a Horror movie without scary is a waste of time.

Reminds me of this...

http://youtu.be/zvxDs7jGBHM

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

+1 for 9th company.

You guys should look into "Dont be afraid of the dark". It has some creepy ass little fuckers in it that want this little girl back down this hole in the basement of this old ass house. lol. It takes a bit to get goin, but when it does its pretty good. Creepy little fuckers. horror.gif

Im still a big fan of Trick r Treat, Dawn of the dead (newer one), All the resident evil flicks, and Dee Snider's Strangeland.

Another favorite is Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. Not really horror, but funny as shit.

Trick or Treat is good, worth watching IMO. I have Dawn of the Dead on disc. I haven't seen Strangeland but I'll check it out on your recommendation. Dale and Tucker vs Evil was funny....Alan Tudyk who plays Tucker also played "Alpha" in Dollhouse, "Wash" in Firefly and "Dutch" in the last Transformers movie...he's good.

Strangeland is pretty fucked up. Dee Snider plays the nut. Its obvious it was kinda low budget, but I rather enjoyed it. Plus Ive always been a big fan of Twisted Sister. 000.gif

Devils Rejects is another one of my favs. And I cant forget about the "Hills have eyes" series, 28 weeks later, Wrong Turn and Jaws. big_smile.gif

Another lesser known flick is "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2" made in 1986. Dennis Hopper plays the lawman but what makes it worth watching IMO is the character 'Chop-Top' Sawyer played by Bill Moseley the same guy who plays 'Otis' in House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects. This was 17 years before the Rob Zombie movies and he's off the chain in the movie. He alone makes the movie worth watching (to me at least).

Ha, Strangeland is on Netflix, gonna watch it tonight. Damn don't I love Netflix....

Edited by Squishy
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Since my last post in this thread, I've watched "Chernobyl Diaries" and "Evidence".

I actually liked both of them.........right up until their endings. But with how easily and cheaply you can view movies in this day and age, I would say their worth a watch.

• Like 1

Exit Humanity. It's a Civil War era zombie flick. It was good enough to keep my interest.

Guillermo Del Toro Does great films! He did Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, Hellboy 2, Pan's Labyrinth, The Orphanage, plus many more. Some are in Spanish with subtitles but still good movies.

• Like 1

I'll have to check that out. Guillermo Del Toro wrote a great vampire series (very un-Twilight) starting with "The Strain." Hopefully that's made into a movie.

Edited by mizombiekilla
  • Like 1

There is a series on Netflix I'd never heard of and I ran across it just looking around called "Fear Itself". It was shot entirely in Edmonton, Alberta and ran just one season with 13 episodes. As a whole the series is worth watching although there are a couple of episodes that aren't that good. I wouldn't have posted here about this series but there is one episode that, as a horror piece is outstanding. As I've said before in any movie or short if "the horror" isn't that scary the whole thing fails.

In this case they nailed it. The episode is called "Skin and Bones" (episode 8 in the series) and as it is it's better than 75% of the horror movies I've seen. If they'd have expanded the plot some to get the run time up and released it as a movie I'm convinced it would have done well. At the very least it would have become a cult favorite. All this is just my opinion of course but if you watch it, let me know what you think.

If you have Netflix or some other way to watch this check it out.

• Like 1

ya I wanted to watch the first two a few weeks back, but didn't have a dubbed option, had to be putting my eyes elsewhere, drives me nuts when I can't get a dub option on movies, I can't always have my eyes plastered, but could easily listen to it and watch enough not to miss everything.

3rd one looks straight awesome

It's not horror but I found an Australian movie on Netflix that's pretty good. Tomorrow When the War Began. It's along the lines of Red Dawn.

I watched this flick the other night and IMO the garbage truck chase sequence alone makes it worth watching. This movie not only leaves an opening for a sequel, the way it ends it begs for a sequel.

Edited by Squishy

It's not horror but I found an Australian movie on Netflix that's pretty good. Tomorrow When the War Began. It's along the lines of Red Dawn.

I watched this flick the other night and IMO the garbage truck chase sequence alone makes it worth watching. This movie not only leaves an opening for a sequel, the way it ends it begs for a sequel.

I'm about half way through it. Had to get ready for work...

I know you we're asking for "new" releases, but I found this top 50 scariest movies article interesting.

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/gallery/top_50_scary_movies/

Oops, it only let me get up to about the top 13.

Edit: if you have any problems just use the "jump to movies xx - xx."

I didn't know Quarintine was a remake of Rec. I liked Quarintine.

Edited by RedChallenger
  • Like 1

I know you we're asking for "new" releases, but I found this top 50 scariest movies article interesting.

http://www.boston.co...0_scary_movies/

Oops, it only let me get up to about the top 13.

Edit: if you have any problems just use the "jump to movies xx - xx."

I didn't know Quarintine was a remake of Rec. I liked Quarintine.

That's a great list. New releases, classics or anything in between are welcome!