Took 3rd at the Zombie Shooting Competition in KY

Just now got time to post this as it was a couple of weeks ago. Some good folk down near Elizabethtown KY held their first ever Zombie Shooting Competition http://zombieshoot.h....com/index.html on Sept 8th. It was a slow start but went well once we got things rolling. Here's a few pics.

Keep in mind, FOREHEAD shots only, nothing else trips the mechanism to drop the Zs.

post-15573-0-48145300-1348238952_thumb.jpg

Fitted out for a mucky day of Zombie hunting, lol.

post-15573-0-55432200-1348239034_thumb.jpg

This is the Shotgun stage, I used my bullpuped S12, 9 zombies at 5-20yrds, 25 rounds , 2mins, 00buck only. I did it under time and with just 11rounds. I had one "stove pipe", but once cleared, it ran great.

post-15573-0-44844600-1348239082_thumb.jpg

This is at the end of the shotgun stage, but it's the best pic of Etin Thrasher.

post-15573-0-87589100-1348239479_thumb.jpg

This was the first pistol stage. I used my Taurus PT145 MilleniumPro(w/ 2.5" barrel). 12-13 zombies, 25 rounds, 2mins. I ran it in 1:38 and with just 21 rounds. After the first 3 shots, I was allowed to advance on each target, my MP training kicked in, lol. The 2nd pistol stage was tougher. We had to knock down the 3 closest zombies and advance to stand our ground and protect a "child". 12-13 zombies at 5-15yrds, 25 rounds and 2mins again. I ran it with 24 rounds and right at time but missed the bonus zombie(most everyone did, lol.). Hey, I saved the kid.

• Like 7

Here's a few more.

post-15573-0-09741600-1348240586_thumb.jpg

The old 2 story farm house that we got to shoot from the upper window of.

post-15573-0-93850200-1348240726_thumb.jpg

And 5 of the 6 Zombies, 25-70yrds, 25 rounds(Rifle), 2mins, were the targets and limits. I did it with the RPK(no bipod), 11rounds and under time, using just iron sights and an elbow on the window sill. The actual target is just 3x4", basically the forehead. So I feel really good about my shooting over all.

• Like 4

And one more. Sorry I don't have video or more pics. My photographer, really isn't.

post-15573-0-72958100-1348241083_thumb.jpg

This pic is of the "Along the road stage", rifle/pistol, 15-20 zombies, 60 rounds, 6mins. We had to pick our way along the road till about midway, then we could walk the road. I let one get too close(within 10') and got to hack it with my little mini E-tool(camp shovel). I ran it in about 4.5 mins and with about 45 rounds(rifle).

• Like 3

Thanks guys. I didn't think I'd do well either. Esp. since I heard several of the guys talking about shooting other 3gun matches this year. This may have been because of the Center Mass targeting of normal 3gun? Forehead shots at 15-70yrds is a whole other thing, lol.

Alot of the shooters were running tricked out ARs. I met one other S12er, no other AKs, but 1 Tapco'd SKS. A couple guys ran it all with pistol/revolvers. They did good on everything but the distance shoot from the 2 story farmhouse. It was funny cause about 6 of us tied shooting wise, but the winner got it by mission/bonus points and actually shot a little worse than some of us, lol.

Yeah, this looks like a lot of fun. I've been thinking of doing an "outlaw" informal 3 gun match somewhere. I bet if I added the zombie gimmick I would get a lot more turnout and help. It might also help with people who take things too seriously.

Tim, don't tempt me, most my family is in Iowa, lol.

MT and GunFun, If you email them, they may share the design. They're pretty poud of it. I will say that it was a pivot/hook between the target and a wire staked out several feet behind the Z. Tension depended on the "lean" of the Z. They were made of, I think, 1/2" rebar with hardened angle over the top foot or so of the frame(head area). Then padded and dressed. The faces were latex I think. Really ALOT of work went into the 47 Zombies they built. It's no wonder they disallowed the heavier rifle cartridges and FMJs/APs.

The saddest thing is that the actual shooting went all too quickly. I think once we got rolling, you could get it done in an hour or so. They had 75 slots open but only 29 showed to shoot. I'm glad because they ran it has a linear storyline, starting at stage 1 and progressing to stage 5. I think they're gonna change that for the next time to make it so that you have to have all the clues to solve the mystery of why the Zs had showed up all of a sudden, but so you can start at any stage. 75 in the linear storyline would have taken all day and maybe into the next.

They had night shoot and melee(ball bat, etc) stages planned as well, but I think they fell through as EVERYONE was pretty drug out by the end of the day. The neat thing is that they were willing to take suggestions on making it better.

Tim, don't tempt me, most my family is in Iowa, lol.

MT and GunFun, If you email them, they may share the design. They're pretty poud of it. I will say that it was a pivot/hook between the target and a wire staked out several feet behind the Z. Tension depended on the "lean" of the Z. They were made of, I think, 1/2" rebar with hardened angle over the top foot or so of the frame(head area). Then padded and dressed. The faces were latex I think. Really ALOT of work went into the 47 Zombies they built. It's no wonder they disallowed the heavier rifle cartridges and FMJs/APs.

The saddest thing is that the actual shooting went all too quickly. I think once we got rolling, you could get it done in an hour or so. They had 75 slots open but only 29 showed to shoot. I'm glad because they ran it has a linear storyline, starting at stage 1 and progressing to stage 5. I think they're gonna change that for the next time to make it so that you have to have all the clues to solve the mystery of why the Zs had showed up all of a sudden, but so you can start at any stage. 75 in the linear storyline would have taken all day and maybe into the next.

They had night shoot and melee(ball bat, etc) stages planned as well, but I think they fell through as EVERYONE was pretty drug out by the end of the day. The neat thing is that they were willing to take suggestions on making it better.

Cool, I was thinking some kind of linkage between the head target and the feet to release the ankle and allow the entire zombie to fall.

Thanks, but I'll hold off on that.

I have been talking with friends about making targets for 3gun ISP... type informal play. This is already sounding like a huge organizational chore. While I think the event you went to looks like a fun thing to attend, I am not really interested in going to all the work to organize something like that.

It has some pros and cons. Biggest con is time to make, time to setup/ reset, cost and storage for the fancy targets. Other con is being hassled by antis whether stodgy old guys with a superiority complex who look down on you while playing out their identical Vietnam/ red dawn fantasies, or people who call this a mindless enactment of violence. I am not too worried about those except for how it affects getting competent rangemasters to help. I bet a lot of the pool of local talent falls into that first bucket. Another con is that a lot of video game educated yahoos would show up. They are welcome to come, because they can learn, but it is just that much more supervision to keep things safe.

The pros are that it is obviously very fun, it would attract interest, and more importantly help from people who are in to it. Also I think a blatantly silly theme helps people to remember that competition is a game and that they should relax and have fun. Another pro is getting the aforementioned smug old guys to keep to stationary targets somewhere else.

What I am looking at for now is a bunch of steel plates with modular stands that stack up like tupperware and can be set up and packed away quickly and stashed with a friend who has storage. About as fancy as I would want to go would be to make a plywood silhouette with steel plates in the chest and head. I could put a t-shirt over that and use the same plates.

My cousin would go nuts for something like this, so maybe we can make a few of those for a special stage someday. I would not be the least bit surprised if he does.

I used to play a lot of paintball at a fairly competitive level for my area. When the local shops disappeared and I had to run everything, a day of play became an exhausting chore in babysitting, supply management and cleanup. I love paintball dearly, but I don't want to get in that kind of situation unless I can keep the range set up permanently or I have a reliable group to spread the work around.

No Knob Creek this year. Maybe next though.

Gunfun, ya, a couple of the guys own/rent the property. It is a lot of work. But their doing it again.

Looks like the 11-12th of Nov. Not set in stone but tentitive.

DLT, Ya, I'd believe it. I have a couple doppelgangers, lol. Was in the Service with one, they all thought we were twins, lol.