Just received my BG and before I commit to drilling and tapping I wanted to test fit it with the bolt. I set the BG in place and inserted the bolt carrier but it would not close all the way. cause the bolt was hitting the BG you can see in the pic where it marks on the guide. I have a flat trunion so it's not just a case of moving the guide left or right.

Should the problem go away after I bolt it down? Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this. I will be emailing CSS.

post-44404-0-58560900-1348269350_thumb.jpg

My S223 hit as well, but contact was made a tad higher up on the guide than what yours is.

Some of it should come out once you get it tight in there. And what doesnt come out, your bolt will take care of the rest of the material. My .223 bolt hit the BG but once its makes contact a few times, it should be fine.

On the BG install I did the other day on my Vepr, I removed some material from the same spot where contact was made with my .223 prior to installing it.

All you really need is just the ramp. And if you tap the trunnion all the way through, you should be able to remove some material and not have any issues with the bolt closing or feeding and still get a good tight fit.

Do you have the right trunnion bullet guide? It is possible that not secureing it allows it to move and get hit by the bolt.

The package and receipt say flat trunnion saiga .223.

I guess once I install it I can see if it still hits.

Would it be okay to file the guide enough to let the bolt close? (if it does still hit after install)

Do you have the right trunnion bullet guide? It is possible that not secureing it allows it to move and get hit by the bolt.

The package and receipt say flat trunnion saiga .223.

...but is it, actually?

If it's enough to stop the bolt, then it's time to stop and check your clearances and make sure that you have the right part.

The bolt also looks like it's hitting the BG ramp too low down to simply work its way in. You could damage your bolt.

Mine has some nicks on the very top ridge, but that's after 2,000 rounds of steel case necks scraping against it. It shouldn't look like that on the first try, and not that far down on the ramp.

Edited by mancat

But is the bottom part of the bullet guide flat? It just seems to me that your guide is sitting too high.. Simple explanations first.

It is the right caliber. CSS .223/5.56 BG is the only one that looks like that.

I also have a CSS BG, but yours looks way thicker than mine is. Mine also has quite a bit more finish work done on it. Weird..

Edited by mancat
  • 2 months later...

Alright, I ended up taking it to my friend to look at it, luckily he works in a machine shop. So we measured and put it on the mill. Once we started it only took about 5 mins to get it drilled and tapped. Works Great!

*Note: we did have to shave down the sides of the bullet guide cause they where too wide to fit flat in the trunion. Not much, just some passes on a belt, then wheel, then a few passes on a smooth polishing stone and it was snug as a bug.

263636_466803916695341_1571498359_n.jpg

68030_466803840028682_797320966_n.jpg

Edited by idRATHERbeOUTDOORS
  • Like 1