Just ordered my reloading gear. First time reloading and I think I got a pretty comprehensive setup coming. I'm going lee cause it fits my budget. Here is the list of what I have ordered.

90064-lee classic turret press

90269-extra 4 hole turret

90997-large and small safety prime

90041-auto disk riser

90429-pro auto disk

90195-double disk kit

90950-case conditioning kit

90963-lee deluxe 9mm dies

90506-lee pacesetter 30-30 dies

90194-rifle charging die

90136-lee case length gauge 30-30

90153-lee case length gauge 9mm

Metalic cartridge loading sounds like fun. I better stick to shot shells for now. Although with the price of 45ACP I might start reloading.

I've got the lee loader II. But this is where I'll start saving $ fast, depending on how much extra I shoot.This alone about 400rds of 30-30 will pay for this kit if I shoot twice as much as I once did.

Oh! I just saw 9mm at the end of the list. I'm curious what recipe are you considering? I always thought of 9mm cheaper to buy (WWB) than the time to mold and lube the bullets. What break even numbers do you think will match WWB 100rnds at $23? Ha! If your using a cleaner burning powder than I guess there is no real comparison.

FYI,

If you didn't already know, this is a fabulous reloading site.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Oh! I just saw 9mm at the end of the list. I'm curious what recipe are you considering? I always thought of 9mm cheaper to buy (WWB) than the time to mold and lube the bullets. What break even numbers do you think will match WWB 100rnds at $23? Ha! If your using a cleaner burning powder than I guess there is no real comparison.

FYI,

If you didn't already know, this is a fabulous reloading site.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

I'm looking @ 115gr JHP's run about $110/1k

American select powder runs $25(will do anywhere from 1300-1700rds per lb, depending on the charge, and its the same powder I plan on using for shotshell too)

cci small pistol primers runs $35/ik

Last I paid was $220/1k 115g FMJ's reloaded and they are dirty as hell. Before that I got ahold of some 115gr JHP's reloaded for the same price about a year and a half before, same load now is closer to $280 shipped.

I'll save a little bit on the 9mm, its the 30-30 thats gonna save me some money as even the cheapest I can get from wally world is $15/box. Thinking I'll be in the $5-$8 range per 20.

Edited by montec

powder measure, scales, calipers? powder trickler? you will need a shell holder set for the auto prime as well... Kinetic hammer for when you mess up. What about brass prep? Tumbler, media, separator? case prep?? like an RCBS case mate prep enter, or all the hand tools from lee to do the job? trimmers, reamers, etc..

I am sure I am forgetting a bunch more....

You are good so far... but a long way to go before you are ready to start loading. 032.gif

Patience young padawan... in time... in time.. biggrin.png

000.gif

powder measure, scales, calipers? powder trickler? you will need a shell holder set for the auto prime as well... Kinetic hammer for when you mess up. What about brass prep? Tumbler, media, separator? case prep?? like an RCBS case mate prep enter, or all the hand tools from lee to do the job? trimmers, reamers, etc..

I am sure I am forgetting a bunch more....

You are good so far... but a long way to go before you are ready to start loading. 032.gif

Patience young padawan... in time... in time.. biggrin.png

000.gif

Powder measure is there, have a scale, Have dial caliper I use for auto work, Shell holder comes with the lee die sets as well as the case prep kits, lee kit is to have the case trimmer and stuff.Will get a hammer later, and looking for a tumbler now.

Also have the lyman books for the 9mm and 30-30, the little books just for those calibers. I plan on getting the lee book soon.

Edited by montec

Cheap tumbler, (if you have kids).

5 gallon bucket.

Glue plastic paddles inside of the buckett, bout 3" x 12".

Add csaes, meada, put the lid on, let the kids role around the yard for a few hours.

• Like 1

Cheap tumbler, (if you have kids).

5 gallon bucket.

Glue plastic paddles inside of the buckett, bout 3" x 12".

Add csaes, meada, put the lid on, let the kids role around the yard for a few hours.

I've only have a 3yr old. so rolling around the yard isn't gonna work. But future idea for when he gets older.

When I meant shell holders I meant the set for the handi-prime. It doesnt come with any, and they are NOT the same as the ones for the presses.

They are not expensive... but ya gotta have em, if using the hand prime tool. 032.gif

The franklin arsenal makes a DECENT and inexpensive tumbler kit... tumbler, bucket, media and separator for like 75 bucks, give or take... its a GREAT tumbler for anyone starting reloading. It will do enough cases to make it worth the time, and it wont break the bank. I have tumbled umpteen thousands of cases in mine without a single hiccup!! 032.gif The separator is pretty cool too... I think BINGO WHEEL every time I use it!!! HAHAHA laugh.png

000.gif

When I meant shell holders I meant the set for the handi-prime. It doesnt come with any, and they are NOT the same as the ones for the presses.

They are not expensive... but ya gotta have em, if using the hand prime tool. 032.gif

The franklin arsenal makes a DECENT and inexpensive tumbler kit... tumbler, bucket, media and separator for like 75 bucks, give or take... its a GREAT tumbler for anyone starting reloading. It will do enough cases to make it worth the time, and it wont break the bank. I have tumbled umpteen thousands of cases in mine without a single hiccup!! 032.gif The separator is pretty cool too... I think BINGO WHEEL every time I use it!!! HAHAHA laugh.png

000.gif

I'm not using a hand prime tool, I'm using the auto prime with the turret.

Look into the handi prime, actually... I find its a VERY fast way to prime shells if you arent in the midst of doing a run of loading... Or just want to pime up a shitload of brass to load another day...

You can prep a few hundred cases and prime them in VERY short order!!

Just one more of those things that is "nice to be able to do" now and then... :up:

:smoke:

Look into the handi prime, actually... I find its a VERY fast way to prime shells if you arent in the midst of doing a run of loading... Or just want to pime up a shitload of brass to load another day...

You can prep a few hundred cases and prime them in VERY short order!!

Just one more of those things that is "nice to be able to do" now and then... 032.gif

000.gif

I have looked. It maybe something I'll get in the future. I'm not speaking against it, it's a great product for sure. Now if only I can find the CCI Small pistol primers locally. I have Scheels, Gander($5/100 and only a 5% discount if you buy a brick of 1k) and about 75 miles away cabella's. All of which are sold out.

Montec, Where are you buying your bullets and primers. Those are HIGH prices. I got a few places that'll beat the pants off those, if you are interested in saving a few $$$$.

Scheels has them for $35/1k and cabellas is close to the same price. gander is basically going to one itty bitty shelf for reloading. Its amazing cause its picking up now.

I'd be interested in saving some $, however its the hazmat fees that hinder me ordering online. I can get away with $30 here and there, but spending a couple hundred will iritate the wife to the point I'll be sleeping in my truck when its -20*

The 9mm I will be loading 115gr JHP's, And the 30-30 I'm just looking @ 150gr for that. The 30-30 is my 175yrd gun is all. I use win silver tips for hunting.(seems the deer can smell the lead. Every year I used the silver tip I get my deer, the years I've used lead not) I was looking for the 30-30 loading some other bullets not suitable for tube make and making it single action with them.

Edited by montec
  • 2 months later...

So far the cheapest 9mm bullets for sale I can find is from mastercastbullets .com. I believe he is making them with lee molds based on the bullet type and appearance. RMRbullets .com has some plated 115 grain that are as cheap as I have found for comparable ammo.

MSRdiver-- WWB 9mm is not any $23/100 around here. In fact, the last few times I priced the 100 packs they came out more than buying two 50 packs @ ~14.99 by a few dollars. In WA lately the cheapest I have seen crummy 9mm plinker is $11/50 However, most of the time, what is in stock is $13.99/50 or $15/50. I'll usually pick up a box of anything new manufacture under $12 with brass cases.

Assuming 124 grain bullet, 9mm uses less than $.03 of lead per bullet to cast, the primers are about the same, and the powder is using between 3.5 and six grains. You have incidentals like sizing lube, messed up rounds you have to trash, brass cleaner or tumbler media, and Alox, but by my numbers it comes out around 7-8 cents a completed round versus 15-20 cents + tax in the stores. *This places no value on your time.* As a hobby at least the math is there. I believe reloading for 9mm or .45 would pay, but after reloading some with a single stage I was given by my father, I know I would choose to start out with a progressive and skip the single stage step. Most of the modern progressives can be used like a single stage anyway while you are learning to dial things in. By the time you have bought everything, you are about $130 under the cheaper progressives to get the full kit in single stage. I've been seeing new starter kits with lee pro 1000 and everything other than case prep tools for single pistol caliber at about $170 lately. While I can see the quality advantage of other brands, that is dang cheap for a progressive that lets you crank ammo out.

BTW, other than the powder dispenser, my setup is about the same as what the OP got, only for 9mm, with RCBS dies for .38SPL, .357, and 30.06.

Edited by GunFun

I haven't done full calculations on what its gonna cost me for reloading my 3 calibers but I know the 30-30 is about $5/20 vs $16 and up per 20.

And before this I was buying ammo from BVAC 115gr JHP's for about $230/1k and last was from freedomunitions was $200/1k. I've been collecting brass from the range and anyone I can now.

Yea, you start reloading and you start picking op EVERYTHING, brass and lead.

I picked up a piece of WW in the parking lot today.

Go slow on the progressive press at first, ! double powder charge WILL mess up a good day.

Yea, you start reloading and you start picking op EVERYTHING, brass and lead.

I picked up a piece of WW in the parking lot today.

Go slow on the progressive press at first, ! double powder charge WILL mess up a good day.

I plan on only doing maybe 60/hr to start dont need to be fast currently. I need to learn how it all works first and watch my setup. I actually ment I've been collecting brass for a while not now. I've been saving brass since day one, when I bought my 9mm and 30-30. Same with keeping my hulls for the 12ga. Granted about 90% of the hulls I have are the fed bulk pack ones.

Got my reloading book today, its a great read for using the lee products, as well as alot of good info and lots of load data.

Although I think I may have to find a different powder for my 9mm since I bought american select and I plan on doing FMJ, JHP, and probably some plated. Seems the listing is for the XTP HP's which I dont have.

Hi Montec. I've been shooting and reloading for over 40 years. I have a shooting range on my property. I reclaim all of my lead for re-casting. As my only recurring costs are for powder and primers, I can reload any caliber that can use a cast bullet (sans gas check) for $2.00 for a box of 50. No that's pretty darn cheap!

Looks like you've got a good start on your equipment. You'll acquire all kinds of bit and pieces as you partake in this fabulous and very rewarding endeavor. Go to youtube and do a search on reloading. You'll find a ton of videos.

Happy reloading and always be safe,

Don <><

• Like 1

You sir, are living my dream.

Next you will tell us your workshop is right next to your range so you can test it out the back door without getting rained on, and that you have a little motocross/ rally track too.

for what it's worth , I have reloading books from speer and lyman. I like the lyman books better, they give more loads, more dimensions and highlight the loads that have the most potential for accuracy. On the downside, data for lee components is conspicuously absent. Shocker. One thing that seemed like a bizzarre omission was data for 115 grn FMJ in 9mm luger. How can they leave the most common standard load out? Fortunately speer's book fills this void.

It looked like the Hornady books might be laid out even nicer from you tube vids I have seen. It looks like they have velocity and pressure numbers at several steps between min and max load with optimums highlighted.

Sadly, they are all shrink wrapped at the store, so I can't see if the provide much data for ammunition outside of their brand.

Anyone with a big library of reloading books care to comment on what they have and like?

Edited by GunFun

Hi Montec. I've been shooting and reloading for over 40 years. I have a shooting range on my property. I reclaim all of my lead for re-casting. As my only recurring costs are for powder and primers, I can reload any caliber that can use a cast bullet (sans gas check) for $2.00 for a box of 50. No that's pretty darn cheap!

Looks like you've got a good start on your equipment. You'll acquire all kinds of bit and pieces as you partake in this fabulous and very rewarding endeavor. Go to youtube and do a search on reloading. You'll find a ton of videos.

Happy reloading and always be safe,

Don <><

I've done the search and scribed to hickok45 long time ago. There are others out there as well like Iraqveteran8888 as well.

You sir, are living my dream.

Next you will tell us your workshop is right next to your range so you can test it out the back door without getting rained on, and that you have a little motocross/ rally track too.

for what it's worth , I have reloading books from speer and lyman. I like the lyman books better, they give more loads, more dimensions and highlight the loads that have the most potential for accuracy. On the downside, data for lee components is conspicuously absent. Shocker. One thing that seemed like a bizzarre omission was data for 115 grn FMJ in 9mm luger. How can they leave the most common standard load out? Fortunately speer's book fills this void.

It looked like the Hornady books might be laid out even nicer from you tube vids I have seen. It looks like they have velocity and pressure numbers at several steps between min and max load with optimums highlighted.

Sadly, they are all shrink wrapped at the store, so I can't see if the provide much data for ammunition outside of their brand.

Anyone with a big library of reloading books care to comment on what they have and like?

I may pick up the other books later on, but the lee has lots of loads for me to try now, as well as info on using their products which I have. I have a couple other books the small little pamphlets ones for both 9mm and 30 cal. I think those were $6 each.Getting the lee book for $19.25 shipped to me was worth it.

Now just to determine which powder I will use for the 30-30 that I can pick up locally, since we only have gandermountain and scheels. There is a gun show in January and I will look for components there for both my cals.

Iraqi vet 888 has a bunch of good videos, but please shun nearly everything he says about modifying the gas system of a S12. That part 5 & part 6 video is infamous for what terrible advice it is.

I do enjoy hickock 45

Iraqi vet 888 has a bunch of good videos, but please shun nearly everything he says about modifying the gas system of a S12. That part 5 & part 6 video is infamous for what terrible advice it is.

I do enjoy hickock 45

Never did watch the vids on the converting or modding the S12, thats what this forum is for.

Yes, but sadly his terrible S12 advice gets top hits for search results, probably because the general sense of most of his other videos has made him popular.

I feel the need to jump on it every time for damage control, not just for your sake, but more for new guys who might see the post and look it up.

• 4 weeks later...