I can't wait to start reloading. Still debating on powder for the 30-30. Gun show this weekend, not sure if I'm gonna find any deals or not. But I do know the normal prices on what I'd be looking for so I'm not going in blind.

• 4 months later...

Well I picked up the lee quick press change plate system.

Picked up a couple lbs of reloader 7 about a month ago for doing the 30-30. Going to be picking up a lb of red dot for 9mm and 45acp reloading(45 is for my friends. figured I'd pick up a few items untill they can start reloading and then they will @least have powder.

I will have to get a pic of my set up on my bench,

0522132112_zpsfb7bbfde.jpg

And no the computer will not be there when reloading. Its just the setup I have so its not sitting in storage.

It's pretty nice when you stop running out of ammo, and start running out of places to keep it.

For me, my set up is in a convenient place. It is easier to sit down for a few minutes and crank out a few rounds to get the empties out of the way than it is to go out to the range and shoot it. I made a few hundred rounds of .38 Spl +p the other day while listening to Marc Driscoll just to keep my hands busy. You don't want distractions, but this will be a good time killer and a hobby itself for you. In the last couple weeks, I made something like 2300 rounds of various ammo for friends. My only real limitation is cash for primers and the setup to get the casting gear out.

It's pretty nice when you stop running out of ammo, and start running out of places to keep it.

For me, my set up is in a convenient place. It is easier to sit down for a few minutes and crank out a few rounds to get the empties out of the way than it is to go out to the range and shoot it. I made a few hundred rounds of .38 Spl +p the other day while listening to Marc Driscoll just to keep my hands busy. You don't want distractions, but this will be a good time killer and a hobby itself for you. In the last couple weeks, I made something like 2300 rounds of various ammo for friends. My only real limitation is cash for primers and the setup to get the casting gear out.

Maybe when I find my next house, as this one I have up forsale to get out of town, I will do a more perminant location. Wife hated that I went out and bought a new bottom box for the garage to replace this one as retasked for reloading.

Sitting in the basement for 2-3 hours and doing nothing but banging out loaded ammo is the best stress relief and just plain get away for the mind there is. The wife knows not to screw with me when I'm down there, that's MY time and leave me alone, it tends to clear the cob webs and the BP goes down a few notches. :) plus, it's just plain fun. Me and my 6 yr old grandson was down there this afternoon, and he was spitting out loaded .410 shells, almost as fast as I can, and then he just had to go outside and shoot them. His reasoning behind that was, "PeePaw, I need to make sure they ALL work". They all did and he was grinning from ear to ear, when he said that we needed to load them again. :)

• Like 2

Look into the handi prime, actually... I find its a VERY fast way to prime shells if you arent in the midst of doing a run of loading... Or just want to pime up a shitload of brass to load another day...

You can prep a few hundred cases and prime them in VERY short order!!

Just one more of those things that is "nice to be able to do" now and then... :up:

:smoke:

^^This^^^

I am only about 5 months into reloading on a RCBS Rockchucker single stage press. The hand priming tool saves a lot of time, but what struck me about Indy's post is I tend to batch all my processes with the single stage press. I will clean a large amount of brass, resize and deprime all of it in a sittting, trim to length and case prep, prime, and then finally measure powder and seat the bullets. Doing these steps with large quantities in a single batch, saves time. Typically I use the gallon sized food saver vacuum bags to store pre-primed, trimmed, and resized cases, which I can load at any time with the powder and bullet of my choice. I also have them separated and labeled per brass manufacturer, primer manufacturer, and number of reloads on the brass. It can get monotonous at times especially with trimming, (the only step I hate), but as Termite has already stated, it is therapy as well. I do not load 30/30 yet, but plan to in the future. Let me know what powder you experiment with, and the results you get. Congratulations on getting into reloading, it is a lot of fun.

Look into the handi prime, actually... I find its a VERY fast way to prime shells if you arent in the midst of doing a run of loading... Or just want to pime up a shitload of brass to load another day...

You can prep a few hundred cases and prime them in VERY short order!!

Just one more of those things that is "nice to be able to do" now and then... 032.gif

000.gif

^^This^^^

I am only about 5 months into reloading on a RCBS Rockchucker single stage press. The hand priming tool saves a lot of time, but what struck me about Indy's post is I tend to batch all my processes with the single stage press. I will clean a large amount of brass, resize and deprime all of it in a sittting, trim to length and case prep, prime, and then finally measure powder and seat the bullets. Doing these steps with large quantities in a single batch, saves time. Typically I use the gallon sized food saver vacuum bags to store pre-primed, trimmed, and resized cases, which I can load at any time with the powder and bullet of my choice. I also have them separated and labeled per brass manufacturer, primer manufacturer, and number of reloads on the brass. It can get monotonous at times especially with trimming, (the only step I hate), but as Termite has already stated, it is therapy as well. I do not load 30/30 yet, but plan to in the future. Let me know what powder you experiment with, and the results you get. Congratulations on getting into reloading, it is a lot of fun.

I'm going to be using reloader 7 from alliant. Alliant powder is easiest to fine in my area. I would have liked to get some other but its not available. read mixed reviews on the powder on loads. I don't have a chrono. I've got to get it sighted in open sites or with a new optic on factory ammo yet.