Molot self-regulating gas system

If it is the same system as the S12 Version 30, and I believe it is, self regulating pretty much just means there is no gas adjustment.

If it is the same system as the S12 Version 30, and I believe it is, self regulating pretty much just means there is no gas adjustment.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

How does the self-regulating gas system on the S12 Version 30 work in an short barrel shotgun? Does it still require modification as the normal Saiga 12s do when converted into a short barrel configuration?

First, I think "self regulating" in this context is a misnomer. Once the gun is out of the box and broken in, it is what it is. The physics of the system design will determine the range of ammo which will reliably cycle in the gun. We'll find out what that is when the guns find their way into distribution

If your question is - "will shortening the barrel reduce the amount of pressure available to cycle the action?" - the answer is yes. "Will further modification be required to allow the gun to cycle ammo within a given range?" Probably so.

• Like 2

First, I think "self regulating" in this context is a misnomer. Once the gun is out of the box and broken in, it is what it is. The physics of the system design will determine the range of ammo which will reliably cycle in the gun. We'll find out what that is when the guns find their way into distribution

If your question is - "will shortening the barrel reduce the amount of pressure available to cycle the action?" - the answer is yes. "Will further modification be required to allow the gun to cycle ammo within a given range?" Probably so.

Thank you for translating 1) the marketing hype and 2) my original question so you could answer based on your experience. That was kind of you and I appreciate the time you took to do it.

Edited by manatee
  • Like 1

Just like the gas regulator in the Saiga 12, the 'self regulating' system merely regulates the gas that is readily available through the ports. Is the amount of gas that is available through the existing ports enough to cycle the weapon in SBS form? Unless you are going to build something around 14" to 16", I doubt it.

Just like the gas regulator in the Saiga 12, the 'self regulating' system merely regulates the gas that is readily available through the ports. Is the amount of gas that is available through the existing ports enough to cycle the weapon in SBS form? Unless you are going to build something around 14" to 16", I doubt it.

I was thinking more along the lines of 10-12". Opening up or adding ports is one thing, moving things around is something different, in my mind.

There are strengths to the Vepr-12, but a few unknowns, too.