Fusion 165gr 308 + 27" Barrel = 2 MOA

In my continuing quest to find a cartidge my rifle really likes, I got around to Fusion's .308 165gr soft point cartridge. My VEPR has a 27" barrel, and until this cartridge, it hasn't been able to do better than 3 MOA. Most cartridges in the 150gr to 165gr range have come in under 4 MOA but I wanted better.

Shooting from the big Caldwell bag on a concrete bench, and a Leupold 1-4x scope, I was able to score several 5 shot 2" groups at 100 yards, and 2 4" groups at 200 yards. I would suspect that this is the limit of my skill, as the best I can shoot is 1.5 MOA with 22lr and 22wmr.

Unfortunately, this round comes in at $23 per 20 rounds, locally, so I won't be shoot much of this ammo.

Just a thought, when I shoot for groups I normally use a 12x scope to be able to better align with the target. Your still a better shot than I am.

Reloading may provide the same result at a lower per round cost.. Plus its kinda fun on its own provided you have the time to do it.

One of these days I want to pick the action apart and find exactly what is upsetting groupings. The barrels are of high enough quality, the action while heavy should not cause that much vibration. I'm almost of the opinion its the scope mounting options or a combination of several factors.

• Like 1

If I really wanted to dial in the accuracy, I'd take off the muzzle brake, and have a target crown cut. Now that I'm typing it, I think I'll pull the brake. It really doesn't need it.

I've had a few different scopes on this gun, including a fixed 5x power and a variable 6.5x-20x. I seem to have an affinity to this 1x-4x type of scope, but the nice thing abount the AK is that I can get several side mounts, and play around with it, without loozing zero on each new scope.

While I do reload, this rifle just beats the crap out of the brass.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW..

I ran Federal OTM 168 (for M1A), Hornady SST 150gr, Hornady TAP 110gr, & cheap Tula 150gr with great accuracy out of my old Saiga 308..

With a 4-12x40 Nikon for 100 yards I would go to say 7x and stop.. I'd go to 10x for 200 yard shots..

I was managing about/under 2 MOA at 200 yards with some of the above flavors.. off a Caldwell bag. granted I had racked up 400+ shots fired from it to get their.. (all was fun)..

I had used a DPMS Miculek Brake in AR10 flavor on my setup..

Maybe try Grafs for single/double ammo box buys.. $5.95/shipping is hard to beat.. IMHO..