If this has anything to do with sports, then I am and will forever be clueless. I have always found sports (the watching of, not the playing) to be a waste of time. Back in the Roman times there was a phrase; "bread and circuses". As long as the governing Romans gave their populace cheap bread upon which to fill their stomachs and circuses (gladiator spectatulars) to occupy their minds, the Republic would remain peaceful and docile. I find a strange parallel from that time to now...

• Like 5

Something that the players UNION didn't like, I thought he would be cheered on by most gun owners. biggrin.png

Its a gross misconception to believe that most gun owners are republican. Its a slightly lesser misconception to believe that most union members are democrat.

As far as I know most Democrats are in fact Anti Gun......... not all of them I'm sure there are a few that are not but they are the minority.... And so as not to hijack the post I agree with the OP Godell is an Asshat

Edited by pony_express1973

If this has anything to do with sports, then I am and will forever be clueless. I have always found sports (the watching of, not the playing) to be a waste of time. Back in the Roman times there was a phrase; "bread and circuses". As long as the governing Romans gave their populace cheap bread upon which to fill their stomachs and circuses (gladiator spectatulars) to occupy their minds, the Republic would remain peaceful and docile. I find a strange parallel from that time to now...

i agree with you. oddman. at the age of 31, i have yet to ever actually sit down and watch, ANY sporting event in whole. ever. I almost made it through the superbowl that the bears played in out of hometown loyalty, but i gave that up shortly after grossman did. i mean no disrespect to any memeber here, but i often wonder if sports as we know it were abolished, and people played because they, um liked to, how much energy worldwide could be put to something actually useful. millions of dollars are wasted on dimwitted asshats many of whom are only average criminals with excellent lawyers. i'm shamed to see the youth of our nation considering many of them their idols.

don't get me wrong, i cannot include every athlete ever. i have read more than a few articles of athletes doing incredibly generous things in the community, and they truly are an excellent example of a role model. sadly, those articles are drown in the deluge of club shootings, drug usage, murder, dog fighting and more crap i can't even recall.

also, please don't consider these the ramblings of a disgruntled chubby bastard. i actually take part in several sports, and compete in local sporting events. Participation in sports is key. Mindless idolatry is a waste of a good brain.

( ok man card put in temporary hold status)

• Like 2

To expound.

I think all these rule changes and scab refs are causing..... errr Chaos (lol). Booth reviews and missed calls, hats thrown (players falling)..... these guys are clueless and Godell is laughing his ass off all the way to the bank.

Wow, all of a sudden watching football is just the worst thing ever. Life doesn't have to be serious and/or productive 24 hours a day. I love watching football and I don't get a damn thing out of it except enjoyment.

"Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted" - John Lennon

Edited by DogMan
As far as I know most Democrats are in fact Anti Gun......... not all of them I'm sure there are a few that are not but they are the minority.... And so as not to hijack the post I agree with the OP Godell is an Asshat

Democrat gun ownership hovers in the mid- 40%, and has peaked over 50% at times. Republican gun ownership hovers in the mid- 50%, and has dropped to 50% at times.

It is partisan propaganda and the ignorant trumpeting their party lines without questioning that has lead to these types of wildly inaccurate assumptions. Assumptions like; god-worshipping, socially conservative, freedom-advocates should automatically fall into a party that opposes those values simply because of where their great-great-grandparents were born. Some are starting to question those assumptions however, like we all should.

Another one here that has less than no interest in watching a bunch of over-paid idiots chasing a ball around. There are a few athletes who do good things with their huge salaries, but most are a bunch of whiny ass delinquents still. I never figured out how anyone got "enjoyment" out of yelling at the tv, or in person, that they could do a better job at quarterbacking/receiving/officiating/etc. I'd rather be out shooting, or if stuck inside, read a good book or jam bamboo splinters under my nails than watch "organized" sports...

• Like 1

Another one here that has less than no interest in watching a bunch of over-paid idiots chasing a ball around. There are a few athletes who do good things with their huge salaries, but most are a bunch of whiny ass delinquents still. I never figured out how anyone got "enjoyment" out of yelling at the tv, or in person, that they could do a better job at quarterbacking/receiving/officiating/etc. I'd rather be out shooting, or if stuck inside, read a good book or jam bamboo splinters under my nails than watch "organized" sports...

This. With the exception that I enjoy going to Minor League baseball games ($6 Gen Ad tickets, $4 beers and its never over crowded). Growing up "sports" in my house meant shooting, hunting, hiking, fishing, kayaking, camping, etc. Not sitting on the couch watching a game where they manage to cram 20 mins of actual game play into 3 hours...

So......the people here that do like watching sports do, and the ones that don't like watching sports don't. Hey, that's exactly how it's supposed to work. Man, we're good!

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 3

Only "sports" me and mama enjoy is college football, all others get tossed aside for time spent busting caps.

In my short 2 years living in SC, I quickly realized how big of a deal college football is. Went to a bar to get some wings one night, and it was a madhouse because USC and Clemson were playing. It got pretty rowdy. We just sat off to the side, eating wings and bullshitting, and people-watching. Good times!

You are touching on a very profound subject. I am sure you know this by your perspective, but many don't realize this, mostly those who are obsessed with watching others play games.

If you really want to mess with someone's head who is a Pro Sport Fan(atic), just pose a simple question. "Why are you such a fan of THIS team? Try it. With the state of Pro stick and ball sports today, there really is no answer. You won't get a real answer, either. After the blustering and posturing are over, the anger sets in and the conversation will end.

HS or College teams may have a connection of sorts to the fan, a family member of friend. Or, they themselves may have been on the team.

But the Pro Sports fan much more often than not has no real connection to the team. The Fan may be from the team city, but few if any of the players are. Yet when the Fan's Team wins, he says "We Won, We Won!" When the Team loses, the Fan says "They lost." Like I said, deep.

Pro Sports Franchises are nothing but entertainment mills that fabricate entertainment for the milling mob. A reality show, with rules.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks."

--Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

Edited by 1mile50