The new slotted forearms

Are you talking about the ones with 2 vertical slots up front and some horizontal slots up top above the hand hold? If so, those are CAI moddified ones. IMO, I'd stay away from any rifle wearing those (CAI). I handled one at a recent gun show and was amazed at how poorly that Saiga semi-conversion was done. The slots where cut so rough that you could see the burrs from feet away, and the mag latch was WAY over filed to the point that the mag rocked for/aft and up/down a good 1/8". The fit was so poor you could push in on the mag and there was a good 1/16" of air between the latch and the mag tab. At that point, I didn't care about what's inside. If someone doesn't care about the outside, they certainly won't care about the inside. Pitiful. After all this time... it seems CAI STILL does not care about their poor quality control reputation and keep cranking out sloppy rifles.

Are you talking about the ones with 2 vertical slots up front and some horizontal slots up top above the hand hold? If so, those are CAI moddified ones. IMO, I'd stay away from any rifle wearing those (CAI). I handled one at a recent gun show and was amazed at how poorly that Saiga semi-conversion was done. The slots where cut so rough that you could see the burrs from feet away, and the mag latch was WAY over filed to the point that the mag rocked for/aft and up/down a good 1/8". The fit was so poor you could push in on the mag and there was a good 1/16" of air between the latch and the mag tab. At that point, I didn't care about what's inside. If someone doesn't care about the outside, they certainly won't care about the inside. Pitiful. After all this time... it seems CAI STILL does not care about their poor quality control reputation and keep cranking out sloppy rifles.

Actually I saw the forearm on a rifle Classic is selling but I don't think it is cool to link it. It has three horizontal slots and 3 slanted slots in the from by the gas block. They call it the "2nd generation Sharkfin forearm" so I was hoping it was a OEM. Of course Classic isn't above putting lipstick on a pig and calling it Christina Hendricks. I like the factory forearm and kept it when I converted but I do believe it could use some ventilation.

Thanks for any info,

Dallas

Actually I saw the forearm on a rifle Classic is selling but I don't think it is cool to link it. It has three horizontal slots and 3 slanted slots in the from by the gas block. They call it the "2nd generation Sharkfin forearm" so I was hoping it was a OEM. Of course Classic isn't above putting lipstick on a pig and calling it Christina Hendricks. I like the factory forearm and kept it when I converted but I do believe it could use some ventilation.

Thanks for any info,

Dallas

I went back and looked at a pic of CAI (Century Arms Inc) modified Saiga. I miscounted. There are 3 curved vertical slots almost under the FSB, and 3 horizontal slots above hand hold running the length of the handguard. If this is the pattern you're in question of... it is most likely a CAI moddified handguard (and probably a CAI modded rifle, as I don't think they sell the handguards seperately). I'd stay clear of that one, IMHO.

Brian did you happen to notice what kind of mags the Century conversion used? Wondering if the mags or trunnion where modded?

No, I'm not sure which mags the CAI Saiga had in it. I only know they were steel, and had the typical European design of (at the bottom of sides) two long and two short ribs w/ a full spine on them. Ironically, there was a CAI wasr a few tables over which had similar steel mag in which fit beautiful in it, with almost no play and very securely snapped in and out. Go figure? Again... CAI seems to be hit or miss. I wish they'd ramp up (or actually DO) their quality control.

The Century Saiga has a bullet guide tack welded to the front trunnion.

edit: I made that post under the assumption you were talking about 7.62x39 conversions for some reason.. The 7.62x39 Saiga conversion sold by Century is done like this. I have no idea about their .223 conversion. NOBODY seems to have ever posted a review of their rifle anywhere. It's pretty expensive, so I'm not surprised if nobody is really buying it.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Century is just farming out the conversion work. Century has a huge workshop, but they don't do everything themselves.

Edited by mancat