Any one getting in on the Egyptian AKM kits?

I picked up a couple of kit and am going to have them built. Anyone else getting in on the crutch folder craze? atlantic has/had them and so did classic and apex. im gonna use the romy mil spec barrels. I was just wondering what kind of attention they are getting over here as I know they have been sought after for a long while and now they are in and are cheap.

maadipartskitnew.jpg

• Like 1

So you just need the reciever and barrel to complete these?

yes sir. romy barrel from apex $110 +shipping from apex and 80% Polish blank from copes for 19.95 and 219 kit. Tworiverarms is building mine and can fully heat treat and complete the blanks and engrave selector markings.

Why do you do this to me? You know perfectly well that I am saving up for an ak74, but then you come here and you tempt me with these things.

To me, that kit looks worth it if even just for the bayonet and that sexy looking side folding stock.

the crutch folder used to go for 400+ last time I heard, now the kits go for $219.

Yeah I found some thread on bARFCOM where someone sold a stock like this for.. get this... 275!!!!! this happened September 5th of this year!!

ohh boy, the shysters are gonna crawl out full force to try and make money off these, and then the stocks will be so expansive and unavailable that I will hate myself if I dont get one now.

Lol thanks a lot AZG you just buried my now dead wallet.

Yeah I found some thread on bARFCOM where someone sold a stock like this for.. get this... 275!!!!! this happened September 5th of this year!!

ohh boy, the shysters are gonna crawl out full force to try and make money off these, and then the stocks will be so expansive and unavailable that I will hate myself if I dont get one now.

Lol thanks a lot AZG you just buried my now dead wallet.

no no no, LOL, please do not get into debt over this. Just think, you could be saving for a vepr12.

• Like 2

I was spoiled years ago with the cheap kits. $69 for a rommy matching numbers. Yugo's, milled Bulgy's, Etc.....

I'll pass on the Egyptian kits. I scored the crutch folder and poop brown PG for my MADDI's already.

The days of kit building for me are all but over. I do miss the time well spent pulling barrels, bending flat recievers, welding rails, installing rivets..........

Sigh

• Like 1

I was spoiled years ago with the cheap kits. $69 for a rommy matching numbers. Yugo's, milled Bulgy's, Etc.....

I'll pass on the Egyptian kits. I scored the crutch folder and poop brown PG for my MADDI's already.

The days of kit building for me are all but over. I do miss the time well spent pulling barrels, bending flat recievers, welding rails, installing rivets..........

Sigh

Ive never had the please of building my own or $69 matching kits. But I can say that im getting close to my end with kits. Not too much more out there that I want. Might pick up a Tubak Sniper from TRA, but thats way down the road. Still want an 030&/Vepr12.

Can you by the blanks already heat treated and engraved?

Yes on the heat treat,

if you want arabic selector markings, no, Orian Arms does selector engravings or Two river arms can include it in the build, or POHF can do them aswell. Not sure if any forum vendors can do them?????

arabicmaadiselector.jpg

SAR export markings, which is what these kits are than yes. 74ullc can do the S A R markings and heat treat. High quality receivers IMO.

sidefoldermaadiselector.jpg

just depends on how detailed you want to go. Nodak Spud has a receiver for $85 shipped and I prefer to go with Custom receivers by 74ullc as he adds the I and 2nd Y stamp and correct spot welds but they are like $185. but if you could care less about that and just want a shooter then get a NDS1 or NDS1EZ

Edited by AZG

I bought one of these kits from Atlantic two weeks ago and A 80% polish receiver and a chrome lined barrel. I just started drilling on the receiver tonight.I think it will take me a couple weeks to finish it ill take pics as i go this is my first attempt at a complete AK build it should be allot of fun and informative as I go.I would be interested in trading the bayonet for a couple AK mags if anyone is interested.The other thing is if you don't have the tools for a build they will cost you way more than the kit to get tooled up properly.

Edited by red308

Are u building it yourself? If so, I envy you. :up: that's pretty cool. I'd like to build one one day but it's never going to be cost effective to build just one so it'll never happen.

Well looks like i have decided on my bday present. Wonder how long it will take me to build.

Not sure. I think it says in the description

Arenthemblanks from nodak notmalready pre-drilled? I was thinking barrel, parts, reciever and rivets......and of course some sort of crazy finish.

nodak spud sells 100% recievers or 98% recievers that are finished except the trunion holes. but they are considered firearms, form 4473 etc. so there is a paper trail.

the tapco flats or bent polish blanks are 80% so no paper trail.

especially when you buy them locally with cash.

I like the wire folders because I put my face right up in the crook of them. Just can't visualize how I would do that with the shovel folder without stabbing myself in the neck.

Ps that is a very nice build right above - exactly what I want to build with the parts kit I have, solid stock AK-102

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I snaged one with the fixed stock, I prefer them to a majority of the folding stocks. I just got the wood refinished, It looks great, especialy as tore up, and cosmoline filled as they were. I am hopfully starting on the barrel assembley this weekend.