Considering some NFA items, not sure of legality

I ordered one of those bullpup 22 stocks from redjacket, and to make a long story short, i was debating putting a suppressor on it. until a few months ago, hadn't been to interested in anything NFA mostly because i wouldn't let myself look. i have a dirty secret to share. please don't judge me. i live in.. illinois. (cook country to make it even more emabarrassing)

anyways, after viewing options and researching, i really want to put a suppressor on it. and, thanks to a ton of additional wandering, i also want a suppressor on a sig 1911, a pistol caliber sbr, a tromix s-17... anyways you get the point.

i have one small hope that all is not lost. i know illinois is the land of NO in all things firearms. i've had several suggestions to apply for my own class 3 license (which is legal in il) but that would only make maufacturing and possesion w/ the intent to sell legal. ( funny to put that in a sentence) if i was ever asked to open my books it would be pretty obvious what was going on. i don't think this is a good idea.

So instead, i was thinking. i have family in both wisconsin and indiana. i have a sister who lives just over an hour from me in indiana, and my father owns a vacation cabin 7 hours from me in the middle of nowwhere wisconsin. my question is, is it legal for a cook county, illnios resident to OWN, but not possess in state, NFA items? I want to make sure whatever i do is 100% legal. i do not want to break any laws, but i'm sure willing to take advantage of any loopholes or gray areas. So long as it is LEGAL.Or, option 2, quit bitching and just move to indiana already. (though i think sbs's are also a no go there) anyhelp would be appreciated, thanks

Federally speaking if your listed as a trustee your entitled to posses the items listed on that trust. So while your visiting a free state, that conviently that your father just so happens to live in, and has you listed as a trustee your free to use the NFA items that are possesed by that trust. You CANNOT however cross state lines without proper paper work. And forget about entering a non NFA state with those items.

Does that make sense?

Edited by poolingmyignorance

Set up a trust out of state and keep the itmes there with a trustee or move, those are the only real options. Even getting an FFL/SOT in Illinois is no guarantee as the ATF gave them a hard time not too long ago.

Edited by -... .. --. .--- ....- ---

sunnybean, thats kinda what i was thinkin.

pooling.yes, i think i understand. any thought of the stuff getting close to the illinois state line is out of the question. hell, it would probably show up on someones radar just getting close to the border. they would stay in whatever respective states they were bought in. my father doesn't spend a lot of time at his place, nor do i, but the idea of having, say, my sbs there would probably make me find the time to go more often. theft would be a bit of a concern, but i have other things to consider first.

i have only looked a litlle at trusts, seeing as how i didn't want to waste time on something i could potenetially never have, so i guess i have to find out if a trustee is a primary holder or like a beneficiary.

i guess my questions are, does my sister set up a trust and list me? and, can you have a trust in a state you are not a primary resident of, yet own property in?

Sounds like you should ask a lawyer those legal questions. It would be worth $200 to be sure you had that stuff done right.

that would be the smart thing to do. your questions isn't the cut and dry that most people know. the defense, "I read it on a internet discussion forum that would be legal" isn't go to fly with a judge.

• Like 1

The way the law is setup for Illinois, you are better off moving out of the state or just don't bother buying a suppressor. Yeah, it sucks...but even if you could work a legal angle where you own a suppressor but it's in another state...would you really want to do that? Really sucks that there isn't consistency across the nation, sometimes it's like going to another country from state to state.

I was born and raised in Illinois. I never bothered considering NFA items while I lived there. But, now that I live in Florida., I'm considering my 6th NFA Item, which I will be purchasing next week. I'm also considering my 7th NFA item, which I plan to purchase next January. I haven't considered my 8th NFA item yet, but I will surely think of something by next summer.

haha.gif

• 4 months later...
How bad are the gun laws in Illinois outside of Chicago? I met quite a few gun friendly people from Illinois when I was in the Army?
No MGs, suppressors, SBR, SBS. No open or concealed carry under any conditions outside of your house or business. Weapons outside your house or business have to always be transported unloaded, no magazine inserted, in a closed case. Requires an ID card that takes about a year to get to buy a firearm or ammo, and it will expired well before you get the new one - which means you can arrested and sent to jail. Towns and counties have random weapon laws. The Governor keeps trying to pass massive gun ban bills.

Other then the gun stuff, the crooked pols at all levels (like 4 of the past 8 Governors are in jail), the crazy high taxes, and the impending state bankruptcy it's almost like living in in Indiana.

Looks like you might have SBR in IL now...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/84007-illinoissbryep/

yeah between this and the soon to be CCW, illinios is dangerously close to becoming a state im not embarrassed to live in. but i'm assuming this doesn't override cook county's evil black weapons ban. does anybody know if you can have an sbr in cook county? not chicago, cook county. i'd love to have a pistol caliber sbr. maybe one day, if illinios remembers it is in america, i can have a can too. ahh wishful thinking.

When you go the route of the Trust you don't own anything, neither does your sister or brother-in-law. Everything is owned by the Trust. As a Trustee you have access to buy, sell and use things in the Trust if you set it up that way. As long as the Trust is set up in a state where it is legal for the Trust to own & possess these items I don't see a problem. The fact that you are a Trustee on a Trust in another state is nothing the Illinios can do anything about. If interested, give me a shout.

• Like 1
yeah between this and the soon to be CCW, illinios is dangerously close to becoming a state im not embarrassed to live in. but i'm assuming this doesn't override cook county's evil black weapons ban. does anybody know if you can have an sbr in cook county? not chicago, cook county. i'd love to have a pistol caliber sbr. maybe one day, if illinios remembers it is in america, i can have a can too. ahh wishful thinking.

When you can burn your FOID in the street like a sweaty hippie bra, THEN you've got something. I'm surprised you can fart against the wind in Cook county.

You're not that far from Indiana! :)

When you can burn your FOID in the street like a sweaty hippie bra, THEN you've got something. I'm surprised you can fart against the wind in Cook county.

You're not that far from Indiana! smile.png

you can, but they tax you for air pollution. chicago needs the revenue. rolleyes.gif

i posted awhile back about wanting to move to either indiana or wisconsin. i haven't lost interest in that just because illinois didn't ban anything (this time) i'm still checking houses in dyer, scheriville, and pleasant prairie (wisconsin) regularly. i have alot of factors to considers, and while 2nd amendement is very important, its not the only thing i need to consider.

part of me also wants to stay and fight. i know this infringes on what my rights are compared to other states, but i've seen what some of our fellow posters are going through in new york, and i'm proud of them for fighting the good fight. as bad as it is, i'm not sure i can really leave here until all intelligent thought has been lost.

How bad are the gun laws in Illinois outside of Chicago? I met quite a few gun friendly people from Illinois when I was in the Army?
No MGs, suppressors, SBR, SBS. No open or concealed carry under any conditions outside of your house or business. Weapons outside your house or business have to always be transported unloaded, no magazine inserted, in a closed case. Requires an ID card that takes about a year to get to buy a firearm or ammo, and it will expired well before you get the new one - which means you can arrested and sent to jail. Towns and counties have random weapon laws. The Governor keeps trying to pass massive gun ban bills.

Other then the gun stuff, the crooked pols at all levels (like 4 of the past 8 Governors are in jail), the crazy high taxes, and the impending state bankruptcy it's almost like living in in Indiana.

LOL. Some of that is just a tiny bit exaggerated...some of it, is spot on.

Illinois is primarily a red State owned and run by a crooked blue city.

Fatty, get your C&R license and be happy with SBR's here.